Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / flame war on big corps!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
"who is that somebody?" The one who posted something about McDonalds having a loss.

The multinational corporations rape the society, contribute NOTHING.

Unless you count propping up an ugly social class with fake jobs as something.

Individuals contribute everything.

Institutionalized class warfare. Whenever a large corporation posts a loss. Who suffers but the workers? When the executive maggots get lucky and have a good year, the common workers gets nada. Salaried employees may get a bonus.

Peace, the anti-Bush.
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 21:09
Quote: "When the executive maggots get lucky and have a good year,"

executave maggots are almost allways lucky, even if they are completly incompetant and lose thousands of jobs they ofen end up with large sums of money if they are sacked.

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/s713889.htm
http://mentalspace.ranters.net/archives/000063.shtml

dbpro : 2ghz p4m : 512mb : geforce 4 4200 go
Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 21:16
Linux is the best OS and its free and open source so you know what you're putting on your computer and its very flexable and efficient and doesn't have the stupid memory leak that cause the Windows to freeze after a week or so more often than not...'nuff said...time to go back and work on OSFusion...A20 Enabled...

OSFusion is the greatest project ever undertaken. It is an unreasonable concept with unsound principles...and thats why im the head of its development.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 21:21
Everyone only says that Linux is better because everyone has Windows and people like to think that they have found a special OS that no one else uses. Windows is the best, that's why it has become the most used.

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 21:26
Quote: "Windows is the best, that's why it has become the most used."

That's an interesting theory. So that applies to VHS as well (if anyone remembers that)? Or x86-based CPUs?

Me, I'll sit and write this love song as I all too seldom do
build a little fire this midnight. It's good to be back home with you.
Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 21:28
DID YOU JUST DENY THE FACT LINUX IS BETTER? BHAWHAHAHAHA

Honestly you must have issues to think that an integrated non-modular kernel that crashes if one piece of the kernel fails over a modular kernel with stable well developed code that the developers take pride in.

Linux is better, it allows quicker hardware access and is definitly more stable than Windows the ram sucking poorly made piece of junk excuse for an OS...and well alot of people use Linux over Windows because its much more efficient...ROFLMFAO WINDOWS IS BETTER...Elleomea, this is the funniest thing ive ever heard...

OSFusion is the greatest project ever undertaken. It is an unreasonable concept with unsound principles...and thats why im the head of its development.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 21:28
Yeah... there must be some reason why VHS won - probably cost to produce or something

Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 21:29
Empty by VHS your refering to the VHS vs. Beta?...i remember that...better marketing and such i suppose...Linux is just now starting commercials...

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 21:34 Edited at: 12th Jan 2004 21:38
Quote: "When the executive maggots get lucky and have a good year, the common workers gets nada."

Hate to disagree but almost all of my previous jobs have included some kind of generous bonus for us "common workers" if the company did well that year. It's not as much as Mr. CEO but I don't expect that much. It's usually a Christmas bonus, or a television set, or cash for the best employee stats.

Quote: "Windows is the best, that's why it has become the most used."

@Chris - I agree and disagree. I agree that most Linux users spout about how great Linux is because it's open source, and they know what they install, and it's free, yada yada... but how many Linux users *actually* look at its source? How many *actually* make modifications? Linux installed fresh is NOT a secure OS. One still has to close unused ports, turn off certain services, etc.

But I don't think Windows is the best because it's the most used. It's the most used because it's a derivative of DOS and DOS was originally pushed by IBM and included with every new PC sold, making Microsoft immensely successful. The alternatives to Windows, at the time, weren't much--- just the Apple GUI if I remember correctly. But Windows *is* the best for people like my grandparents who just want to check email and play Solitaire. They don't care about running their computer down to the metal and modifying the kernel source like Eddie Gordo seems to enjoy doing

- JeKu

EDIT: By the way, I dual-boot my machine between Fedora Redhat and Win XP because I want the best of both worlds. I like Redhat for web development and I like Windows for gaming and DBP. Try playing *ANY* fun games on Linux hehehe

http://www.automatongames.com/
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 21:35 Edited at: 12th Jan 2004 21:37
Quote: "there must be some reason why VHS won"

Sure there was. Marketing and license strategies. Nothing else.

@Eddie
Quote: " Empty by VHS your refering to the VHS vs. Beta?...i remember that..."

Yes, those days when friendships split up because of different video systems.

Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 21:37
JeKu i've read the sources...and i love modifing the kernel, as well as how i base my new project on the Linux kernel. and Frozen Bubbles...whoohooo thats the greatest game...as for unsecure and closing ports...as long as you arnt stupid enough to run as root you wont have any problems or run a firewall on it...like Shorewall...

heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
Now I know that this sounds real strange but let's get back on topic. HA HA Ha hA ha

http://www.newsinsider.org/madsta/god_capitalist.html

Peace, the anti-Bush.
Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 21:39
heartbone why would we do that we are sortof...its about M$ over Linux i suppose...

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 21:42
Quote: "as long as you arnt stupid enough to run as root you wont have any problems or run a firewall on it"

True, that's one reason why dumb people consistently wreck Windows on their machines--- they run as administrator! Of course it's so easy to run as admin on Windows when it's the default user

But anyways, you're right, Eddie, if you're one of the 0.01% of Linux users who actually modify the kernel, then it's best suited for you! By the way, do you use DBP with Linux? If so, how? Using Wine?? I've always wanted to get Wine to work properly with DirectX...

- JeKu

Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 21:46 Edited at: 12th Jan 2004 21:47
JeKu i installed Wine a week ago to see if i could get DBPro to work but i was stupid enough to try to install the Linux 2.6 kernel on MDK without reading the instructions...not that i cared i hated MDK so its broken for now...im getting Mepis to recover my files...but i bet you could get DBPro to work using Wine...or you could use OSFusion when i gets to that level LOL in like a few years...as for Running as admin i do that all the time, thats actually the only user i have on my system...but its ok cause i know not to delete all those DLLs in the system folder...

B.T.W. WineX is required for Wine to emulate DirectX i think...im not sure...

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 22:43
OK - so Linux is the best for you... but 99% of the world aren't programmers. Practically all PC users don't know how to install a new OS. Linux is really a coder's OS.

Practically everything is created with Windows in mind (most is created in Windows) so therefore, it is the best OS. It is simple enough for 5 year olds but can still get very complex.

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 22:54
I think you confuse the terms "best" and "commercially successful".
Practically everything Britney Spears releases hits the top ten, but she isn't the best singer.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 22:57
To me, best means - most useful to the most people.

I think Windows is that OS.

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 22:59 Edited at: 12th Jan 2004 23:01
You are only really basing that on the fact that more people use it.
People who can't even install windows and don't know of the alternatives arn't the best judges. Why do you think most people use windows?

dbpro : 2ghz p4m : 512mb : geforce 4 4200 go
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Sweat factories in poor countries, for example"

Indeed any oil company and any tobacco company...why because 99.9% of all of them advertise to little kids. Have you ever had those fake cig's? you know the candy ones that blow little fake smoke? indeed you thought that was made by some ingenious man? no the candy factory that makes em is probably owned by some tabacco company. maybe it is and maybe it isnt but somewhere down the line the tabacco company got involved with the candy company that made those.

and oil companys they don't want to switch from fossil fuel because it is a resource that can't be found just anywhere. Even though they know its depleteing slowly and distroying our ozone layer.
Yes oil companys have revised there formula for there gasoline but it is still harmful to us and the earth.

If you even go onto the topic of those hybird (or is it hybred?) cars they still use a significant amount of gasoline. although i'd prefer to get one of those cars over any other car...but those cars are still to small =\

indeed....weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

MX46 motherboard 1.7ghz 785mb's DDR ram gforce 4 mx440 se 64mb ddr dual vga gfx card with onboard lan/sound/graphics works great...sometimes
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 00:32
Well I guess it's like VHS and BETA - Linux might be better but Windows is already too far gone.
I suppose what I was trying to say was that there isn't really any point in holding on to Linux when the world uses Windows - it seems like people who have Beta video players even though it's really hard to get videos for it.

UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
btw - heartbone that was a nice link and so true it was everyone should read it you might learn something and see whats really wrong with the world....i should go live in sweden....

MX46 motherboard 1.7ghz 785mb's DDR ram gforce 4 mx440 se 64mb ddr dual vga gfx card with onboard lan/sound/graphics works great...sometimes
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Chris Windows might be used alot more then linux but linux is prevailing when it comes to running servers...i think hehe (based apon how many games i see using linux and how many use windows and linux is more stable in my option.)

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 01:46 Edited at: 13th Jan 2004 01:49
@Underworld - I think you forgot the question I asked you. Again, you say "candy companies", "tobacco companies", "oil companies" are big and bad etc.. but I didn't ask for that. I'll quote my original question.

Quote: "Name me three examples of the top guy of a multimillion dollar company who works "just as hard" as the bottom lankies and makes the same amount (min. wage) based on principle. Just three examples, I'd love to hear them."

Please answer, if you can. If not, just admit it please. It's almost as if you have 5,000 opinions but can't keep on the topic at hand. Hey, I have 5,000 opinions too, and I will share them if asked. But to rant without cause is just annoying

- JeKu

UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Its UnderLord now your just mocking me and i never said candy companies where "big and bad" i just said they got involved with tabacco companys somewhere down the line. as an example of the big bad tabacco companies...oh and btw

Quote: "Name me three examples of the top guy of a multimillion dollar company who works "just as hard" as the bottom lankies and makes the same amount (min. wage) based on principle. Just three examples, I'd love to hear them."
"

what does your question have to do with anything read some of my past post. i never remember saying that owners of multimillion dollar companys work harder then the people below them infact i do remember saying the exact oppisite.

maybe i read the question wrong. Care to rephase the question for my little incompatent mind?

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 02:05
Hmmm. Looks like I should get the accounts guy looking at our system's currency conversion routines....

We make holiday systems (Thomsons, LP etc), so someone from the US buy a £1,000,000 holiday in the UK. But pay in dollars. *Massive* savingsagogo on our extremely conky foreign currency hampered systems (that are around 20ish years old from original company).... Golly. Better dig that Y2K code out too.....

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 03:16 Edited at: 13th Jan 2004 03:20
Quote: "RobK if McDonalds posted a loss it was AFTER the greedy fat cats took all the profits in executive "compensation". Millions to each no doubt. Else they couldn't hold their heads up at the country club."

Sigh, this could have been an intelligent discussion, rather than an "they've got more than me, that's not fair - <insert baby crying noise>" moan.

If you don't like the way things are done in the US (and yes, there probably is a better solution), I suggest you try other countries. I suspect you'll find that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

I find this whole "fat cats" concept a little sad as well to be honest. There is this conception that all wealthy people do is go to country clubs and talk about how much money they earn. I suspect you'll find that the reality is a little different.

BTW: I didn't say that McDonalds made a loss in the last year (although 6% profit could easily turn to a loss) - but that they did in the not so distance past

BlueGUI Plugin:http://blue.robert-knight.net / BlueIDE http://blueide.sf.net-Free Replacement editor for DBPro
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 03:37
Quote: "maybe i read the question wrong. Care to rephase the question for my little incompatent mind?"

Nah, I've wrote and rewrote too many times already.

I think I've received enough hippie-speak from the Moby board--- in the end I hate discussing politics when I'm mad

- JeKu

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 04:28
What Rob said.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
ah you guys got off topic your sopsot to flame not defend =( this was a complete failure on your guys part

heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
"BTW: I didn't say that McDonalds made a loss in the last year (although 6% profit could easily turn to a loss) - but that they did in the not so distance past"

RobK you are right about McDonalds losing money for that quarter. Forgive me for doubting you. Thanks for the correction.

Now would you care to look up the McDonalds executive compensation for that quarter, or shall I? Betcha it wasn't a loss. Betcha it was mega bucks, millions. Anyway many of the multinational corporations (not the McDonalds, rather the Raytheons, Halliburtons, Microsofts and Monsantos) are obviously a front group for Satan or working for the ETs. Why else would they do things like import hundreds of thousands of Asians to America to work IT while laying off thousands of Americans? The companies really don't need the excess profits and they know what the backlash will do the the perception of corporations. Why???

Peace, the anti-Bush.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 08:44
there are alot of reason why VHS beat Betamax for the Video Tape market; but the same applies to why it's Philip DvD format we use and not Panasonics...

Cost & Availability, although Betamax had higher quality pictures; they were prone to being more easily wiped, could not retape as many times at the same quality, couldn't hold the same length of tape ... infact aside from the Quality of Picture, Betamax was just plain inferior from an End Users point of veiw.

This is the same when you look at Windows vs Linux to an extent.
Linuxes main problem is there is ZERO standardization. Although Kernels are compatible, that is all they are; they're not fully comptible just compatible.
Although Linux also appears to have a speed boost over every Windows except Millennium Edition, this speed is at the cost of how your Ram is operated; which for the End User doesn't matter, but for a programmer is the biggest pain in the ass EVER!
There is no automatic memory declarations, you can't simply make and take memory space; you need to prime, setup, and use the space. And if you don't want the program to constantly be in the memory delete it on exit of the program.
Windows will retain memory residence until it is either a) at it's limit or b) doing a pagefile check, at which point it puts the unused areas into pagefile until the nect check when it'll delete the memory space.

The prime fact of the matter is Windows is more stable, has more features, has a very simply GUI, has everything you'll need builtin, plus fully support and regular updates.

infact the biggest let down of Linux is it's UI... as you required to know the Operating System pretty well before you can really use it properly. It adds valuable time to tasks suchas even copying data from one area of the system to another.

Linux is a student programmers Operating System; it was created in a University, and it should stay in the university. It really isn't designed for general user consumption.

Windows may have become popular simply because of DOS, however it was the first x86/Alpha Operating System to incorporate a GUI.
It has and always will cater to the needs of Business's and Home users alike... and at the end of the day, it is just less hassle.

This is how Microsoft Windows is now used to much, because rather than sitting around hoping that someone will like the OS; they've actually catered it so people will find it easy to use, understand and just forget about all the little things that Linux won't let you.

Windows only real competition is Irix based Solaris and MacOSX.
Both of which are just as developed and actually just as expensive.
BeOS could've been a good contender if they're been able to market it properly.

Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine!
900mhz|256mb|FX5200Ti 52.16|Dx9|WXP-Pro
heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
Irix based Solaris?
Irix is UNIX on Silicon Graphics hardware
Solaris is UNIX on Sun hardware
Correct?

Peace, the anti-Bush.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 09:15
unix -> irix -> Solaris/MacOS/Core/SGI/etc...
unix -> minix -> linux -> Red Hat/Mandrake/Knoppix/SuSE/etc...
unix -> FreeBSD / FreeX86

the family is convoluted

Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine!
900mhz|256mb|FX5200Ti 52.16|Dx9|WXP-Pro
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 09:15
Quote: "
Now would you care to look up the McDonalds executive compensation for that quarter, or shall I? Betcha it wasn't a loss. Betcha it was mega bucks, millions."

If you can find that information then please do so.

BlueGUI Plugin:http://blue.robert-knight.net / BlueIDE http://blueide.sf.net-Free Replacement editor for DBPro
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 16:37
Quote: "however it was the first x86/Alpha Operating System to incorporate a GUI."

Ever heard of GEM? It was released a couple of months before Windows 1.0.

As for Windows' "superiour" memory managment, well, obviously you have a very special and unique edition of Windows.

heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 21:14 Edited at: 13th Jan 2004 21:22
empty you have an exceptionally good memory.

OK RobK here's the cash portion for 2002 the year of the loss.
http://yahoo.investor.reuters.com/OfficersComp.aspx?target=executiveofficers/basiccompensation&ticker=MCD

The options exercized:
(These links must be cut & pasted)
http://yahoo.investor.reuters.com/OfficersOptions.aspx?ticker=MCD&target=executiveofficers%2foptioncompensation

OK 'only' a million each. You guys picked a food service corporation as an example. How about a defense contractor?
http://yahoo.investor.reuters.com/OfficersOptions.aspx?ticker=BA&target=executiveofficers%2foptioncompensation

or a car company?
http://yahoo.investor.reuters.com/OfficersComp.aspx?ticker=GM&target=executiveofficers%2fbasiccompensation

or brokers!!!
http://yahoo.investor.reuters.com/OfficersComp.aspx?ticker=JPM&target=executiveofficers%2fbasiccompensation

Now I wonder why they are called that?
http://yahoo.investor.reuters.com/OfficersOptions.aspx?ticker=jpm&target=%2f%2fexecutiveofficers%2foptioncompensation

Peace, the anti-Bush.
Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 21:21 Edited at: 13th Jan 2004 21:22
Quote: " the family is convoluted"

DOS>Windows 1-3.1>Windows 95>Windows 98>Windows ME>Windows 2000>Windows XP

the family is incested

Quote: "the prime fact of the matter is Windows is more stable, has more features, has a very simply GUI, has everything you'll need builtin, plus fully support and regular updates."

Um Raven only one major flaw in your arguement about Windows is more stable...Windows uses an integrated kernel meaning if one part of the OS fails the entire system fails where as Linux runs a modular kernel if one module fails the entire system doesnt come crashing to a BSOD. As for features you havnt used Linux have you, everything is modifiable and features are pretty much as far as you want them to go depending on the Distro.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 21:27
Windows is visually customisable, and that's all I want. I don't care how my computer works. Linux is over complicated - its like having manual focus on a camera - some people really want it other people would find it annoying.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 21:33 Edited at: 13th Jan 2004 21:34
Quote: "OK 'only' a million each."

What do you expect them to do with the money? Just give all the net to charities?? Give the minimum wage workers an extra $0.10 raise each, divided between 10 million employees? Think outside the box a bit more, dude.

If Billy Gates offered you $1 million to take a position in MS where all you had to do was sign a few papers every day--- you wouldn't take it based on principle, right?

Quote: "Anyway many of the multinational corporations ... are obviously a front group for Satan or working for the ETs."

Uh, okay.

Quote: "Why else would they do things like import hundreds of thousands of Asians to America to work IT while laying off thousands of Americans? "

Maybe because they work harder for less pay? We in the west have the luxury of living in a country where you can be a union employee and make $35/hr. to run a film projector at the local movie theatre. The manager would be smart to hire somebody else for less money. Asians in the IT sector? Who knows. They have 100x the population than here in Canada--- there's bound to be lots of them here!!

- JeKu

Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 21:34
Quote: "its like having manual focus on a camera"

Linux is more like having both manual and automatic use whichever you want, You can use somthing like Mandrake thats user friendly or build a Linux From Scratch system and go crazy out of your mind trying to remember if u already downloaded that tarball...sorry i got sidetracked...um right...its like having both look at KDE it has an office suite and all these configuration tools just like Windows...and it sucks up ram just like windows does too! but thats not the point, Linux is just as good as Windows overall...and can be as simple as it, my mother uses Mandrake 9.0 on her PC, all she does is write stories in KWord and playes KPoker...Simple...

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 21:42 Edited at: 13th Jan 2004 21:42
Well, some of us talented C coders should work on putting together a Linux distro that:

- installs as simply as Windows
- automatically sets up the stuff that a typical Windows user wants (Office, etc.), NOT what he/she doesn't want (Apache, MySQL, etc.)
- automatically detects the Windows network for sharing files
- and automatically adds programs to KDE's start menu after the app is installed (I hate searching)

Then maybe we could take a small piece of the pie from Windows, make a small fortune, then give all the profits away because, hey, making a profit is evil and everyone should share all monies with each other and laugh and hold hands and sing.

- JeKu

Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 21:43
Jeku if u can program in C help me program my OS...

UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Anyway many of the multinational corporations ... are obviously a front group for Satan or working for the ETs."

Yeah...to much TV there pal

Quote: "
laugh and hold hands and sing.
"

after all isnt peace the new american dream?

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 22:39
'your sopsot to flame not defend'

Pretty foolish to expect to be able to endlessly bash something without someone stepping in and offering a cent or two of common sense... on top of that, what the hell is the fun of a one-sided argument

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 22:42
I ABSOLUTELY COMPLETELY AGREE - YOU ARE SOOOOOOOOO RIGHT!!!!! CARRY THE HELL ON TALKING

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 22:51
What was that

By the way, where did this 'weekly flame war' thing start

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 22:58
Quote: "what the hell is the fun of a one-sided argument"

I was just having a one sided argument to see how fun it was. It wasn't very fun.

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 23:04
Quote: "empty you have an exceptionally good memory."

Yes, unless it comes to telephone numbers or my own lyrics

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 03:54:17
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 03:54:17