Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Idiot Accidents, scanners and stairs

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2004 11:44
I was moving a scanner from downstairs to upstairs once. I put the scanner in the top hall, on top of the dirty laundry bin,perched quite safetly at the top of the stairs, while i ran back downstairs for my USB cable. On the way back to the stairs, image my horror when i realised that the scanner was crashing down the wooden stairs. My brother has a habit of running around the house at full speed making jet engine and laser canon noises, and on one of his fantasy trips, he knocked the scanner of the basket, giing it roughly a 1 metre fall to hit the first step. It then fell down the stairs at quite a rate, hitting every stair on the way. Surprising, the glass didn't break, but rather brilliant than instead it fell appart into it's seperate components.

Obviously it was f**ked after that.

This sort of accident happen to anyone else? Or anyone else got a good story about how they physically done in their computer?

-Dave

Your soul...it tastes like chicken

Official Website Coming Soon
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2004 13:48
lol, i can just imagine how you looked/felt when it happened . Nah i don't have any stories, that's 'cus i cherish my laptop (only thing i got) like golem does the ring "my preeecious"!

Wyrmslayer
Years of Service
User Offline
no accidents but i feel for u i have no siblings because they already moved out however their children are like mini hurricanes or worse i cherich my computer as well but we are getting a new one pretty soon

As a supervillian i swear to never gloat before killing the Hero.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2004 18:30
When I worked in my former company's data center as an IT guy there was this other tech who spent the whole afternoon formatting and reloading a machicne with NT4 and all of the company proprietary software/hardware only to find it wigging out again. He removed all the proprietary hardware, reformatted, reinstalled NT and did some more tests...it started wigging again - he was so fed up he took the 16oz. cup of water he was drinking and dumped it into the open computer case! LOL - let's just say "the sparks flew", both from the machine and then later in the operations manager's office - lol

-RUST-

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2004 22:37
When I was around 7, my brother, in jest, told me you could only get your backups out of the floppies again by removing the 'floppy' inside.

I fell for it

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2004 01:11
Sound nasty actually. I very unspectacularly popped my hip while practicing some top rock last week. It's pretty much better now, but was walking around like an old man and sitting down very carefully for a week.

I swear my housemates thought I had haemoroids.

Insiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!
Easily Confused
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2004 01:36 Edited at: 10th Jan 2004 01:36
A couple of years back I dropped a pair of PC speakers and shattered the left one, the insides where fine, still worked, but it looked a bit silly after puting the casing together with glue and tape and having a small speaker hanging out.

Programming anything is an art, and you can't rush art.
Unless your name is Bob Ross, then you can do it in thirty minutes.
DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 13:37
I still have the scanner...but i'm not risking plugging it in. I had a look at it and put it back together the best i can...but still, i don't really trust myself to have it completely working. I just know it'll blow up if i plug it in.

Having Damp troubles in my room. I might post some pictures. Came home late last night after a pissload of rain, and when i got in my bed it was wet. I got up wondering wtf was happening, then noticed that the plaster filling had fell out the wall, and there was a fairly steady stream of watter running down into my bed. I had to pull it away from the wall. I actually had to get a torch and go out onto my roof at 1.30 am to make sure that all the tiles were still there.The damp in my room is soooo bad, but everywhere else in the house is fine. Goddam it.

Your soul...it tastes like chicken

Official Website Coming Soon
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 14:56
worst ones that i can remember

i tripped over an atari 2600 and crunched the current cartridge into the chasis.

Ive spilt lemonade into my c64 but luckily there was a silver carboard shield over the good parts under the keyboard.

I fell alseep with a laptop and suffocated it until it was hot and cooked.
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 16:58
I let my GF' brother open my old 2600,the idiot hadn't reconnected the power cord correctly,when I opened it,Poof,black smoke and dead

BlackBird thinks he owns the sky,
But he can't look me in the eye,
-Andy Bell
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 23:30
Well I haven't an an accident with my PC, but when I got my first computer (windows 3.2!!) we couldn't get the floppy drive to work so my dads mate came over to look at it (he has a degree in IT), anyway he opened it up and found... A dead mouse inside.. A very dead mouse all that was left was its bones..

~I see one problem with your reasoning: The fact is that is a chicken~
Trowbee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 02:47
Last year I was curious how quickly my processor would overheat (without a fan).
It was a bit spontaneous really, after I realised I still had A2 psychology coursework to hand in (about 2 days later).

PS: for those wondering, although I didn't time how long it was, my processor lasted about 1.5 seconds before there was smoke.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 04:04:06
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 04:04:06