Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / new computer

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
my family and I are getting a new computer and i was wonder if anyone would give me the specs on some good one (ei: best company /hardware) just curiouse to see what everone's oppinion is

As a supervillian i swear to never gloat before killing the Hero.
lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 9th Jan 2004 18:38
any processor over 2ghz is fine
64mb graphics card mimimum (better to find 128mb card)
256mb ram (try and find 512mb if possible)
cd or dvd writer. a must for backing up files
tft monitor

any hard drive over 100gb is fine

i think thats it

lagmasteruk - http://www.lagmaster.net is alive! http://www.dbforums.co.uk/ - another db forum!

Dark Snippet Pro V9.2 is out!!
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
if you are minted...

There is a theory that if the meaning of the universe is ever found, it will be replaced by something even weirder. There is a theory that this has already happened.
[href]www.johnsgames.tk[/href]
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2004 19:33
and dont forget a 64bit processor...

The place for all great plug-ins
2 x XP3000+, 1Gb RAM, nVidia FX5600. 1 Draytec Router and me.
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2004 22:50 Edited at: 10th Jan 2004 20:40
Lags right, thats not such a high spec (apart from the HD), see my sig?, cost me just £850, and it has loads of specs that wouldn`t fit into the sig, bluetooth, wireless lan, more audio/video in/out ports than you can shake a stick at, awesome 6 way sound, cable network connection, 7 usb ports, dual monitor output, silent cooling system, wireless keyboard/mouse, tv card, remote control etc.
You can get a good machine for £500-£600, just DON`T buy one with onboard GFX, make sure it has a AGP CARD!, onboard gfx suck, they are just a way of including gfx on a PC for very little money since they share the system ram (slowing the computer down) to store the graphics data and often use slow and very cheap chipsets, get something with an ATI or Nvidia CARD, you won`t regret that.
I just turn the thing round in the store and look at the back (I`m not gonna steal it and I think I`m entitled to look before I part with x£100`s of cash), if all the output connectors are on their edge in a strip about 2" deep and near the top of the case, then thats got onboard everything, even if the info sheet doesn`t tell you you can tell by that, if you see some slots punched out and cards mounted crossways to the chassis, (esp the one connectd to the monitor) then thats most likley a good buy, since you can upgrade any components that are not up to scratch cheaply enough by slotting a new-better card in.
Beware though, there is one or two makes of computer who`s names escape me at the mo, both "big" names, and they have all the cards and MOBO`s for their PC`s made with non-standard connectors, so you are forced to buy their spares (with their prices attached) rather than standard computer expansion cards and accessories.
other than that, check out the specs of some of the more common computers on their makers websites and check for phrases like "agp nvidia FX graphics CARD" NOT "intel agp graphics (the worst chipset in the universe by all reports ) and phrases like
"two HD bays"
"ddr memory"
"4xPci slots 1xAgp"
"Agpx8"
"cdrw/dvdrw"
512mb (min)
40mb (min)
should get you somthing decent, cheers.

Mentor.

System spec : Pentium 3.0Ghz, 512MB DDR, 2x160Gb HD (using icewave hd coolers ), DVD RW/CD RW (all modes), multimedia front panel, 6 way surround sound, ATI radeon 9800Pro 128mb.
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
Mentor where exactly did u buy ur comp?

Dual AMD Athlon MP 2x1GHZ | IBM 15000Rpm SCSI 73.4 Gb X 2 | e-GeForce Ti4400 | Audigy 2 + 7.1 Surround sound | 17' Monitor | Ugly mouse
lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 9th Jan 2004 23:17
my comp last feb only cost me £300 without hard drives.

athlon xp 2000+
512mb ram
radeon 9000 pro
etc etc etc

lagmasteruk - http://www.lagmaster.net is alive! http://www.dbforums.co.uk/ - another db forum!

Dark Snippet Pro V9.2 is out!!
mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2004 00:45
you can build mine for £300, i don't klnow where u are so i don't know if my currency is any use to you but:
mobo=£20
cpu=£40
graphics=£75 (you can get it with 256mb for £100)
hdd=£60 if you want a 80gb
sound, onboard but you can get a soundcard pretty cheap(mine isn't onboard but you could use it)
case+psu=£20ish if u get a cheap one
my ram is dimm sdram so it's cheap but i have no probs with it

17"crt=very cheap but i can't remember any figures

go to http://www.ebuyer.com if you are uk or usa.

http://www.larinar.tk
AMD athlon thoroughbred 2200, 512Mb ram, 40Gb HD, ati saphire radeon 9600 atlantis w/128mb ddr ram, good creative-labs soundcard, cd-rw + dvd drives.
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2004 00:49
Well first off, you should live in the US, and use REAL money

then go to newegg.com

and build one for super cheap using these guys' suggested specs

http://www.dbspot.com/ - free webhosting (WORKS NOW)
Don't forget to listen to the unofficial DB streaming radio station: http://jimmykicks.ath.cx:8000
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2004 20:52 Edited at: 10th Jan 2004 20:57
they started using pounds sterling in the US?? < > , making your own PC is not for everyone, my other two are homebrew machines, but this came from the local SUPERMARKET (Aldi), it has a way better spec than anything PC world stock (and they are just the other side of the road from the supermarket too ), and has a three year return to base or home repair warranty.
The warranty on a home made machine is almost non existant, I have had a MOBO fail just two weeks out of the box and they tried to tell me it was me that killed it (never had the side off the machine in those two weeks) and refused to refund, I worked with electronics for years (and made my own 8bit machines, interfaces etc) so I do know how to handle stuff without killing it, but they will often refuse to exchange stuff and just blame the purchaser, you can`t prove you didn`t break it, any more than they can prove you did, and thats the sticking point.

Mentor.

ps, one of the HD`s on my machine was added by yours truly, as where the HD coolers (top drive overheated once), so thats my warranty out of the window

System spec : Pentium 3.0Ghz, 512MB DDR, 2x160Gb HD (using icewave hd coolers ), DVD RW/CD RW (all modes), multimedia front panel, 6 way surround sound, ATI radeon 9800Pro 128mb.
Wyrmslayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 16:55 Edited at: 12th Jan 2004 16:56
Hey thanx for all the info the computer crisis is over and when it gets in ill post all the spec and see what u guys think until then peace out

Wyrmslayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 16:56 Edited at: 12th Jan 2004 16:57
Im happy now

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 04:01:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 04:01:51