Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Unreal 2 XMP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2004 18:05 Edited at: 11th Jan 2004 02:39
Wondered what people thought of U2 XMP for those who have played it. I was one of those accepted for beta testing before it became available to the wider audience. Back in Sept. had to wait 3 weeks before got accepted. Personally I think its great and quite different from UT2003 - its a team and strategry based game. If your into just fragging that UT 2003 will be for you. Love the driveable vehicles in XMP and two players can work together - one drives the other uses the guns. Had loads of fun with this in the past and playing with the developers. XMP seems to work best with smaller teams - too many players in a game and it becomes another DM where everyone is nuking everyone else. And there are a few servers online where they have lost the plot a little.

Back in December, Atari announced to bring out a U2 special edition which included the original U2 single player and the XMP game. See this thread:-

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=335721

I wonder what Epic and Legend have planned next? Epic have said that they plan an UT 2005 after UT 2004 comes out. There have been rumours that Legend would do a Unreal 3 that would pick up were Unreal 2 finished - which would be a great idea to rectify the sad / mad / bad ending - hey that rhymed! U2 was critizised for its ending, being too short and the story being weak. Although I thought the story was quite good. But the ending sucked if they all got ...spoiler... and looked really crap - the character development was just thrown out the window. Plus I was in love with the female heroin. I thought, however, it smelt like a cliffhanger. I didn't think U2 had a real ending too many loose ends and the game just quits when the story seemed to be going somewhere, IMO. And what happened to the characters wasn't made clear or credible when you consider their backgrounds - pretty much open ended. Which is what I did like and its perfect for a debate and to cry out for a sequel.

One of the producers, CliffyB hinted the possibility of a sequel in this thread:-

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=264802

Also what's all this talk about Unreal Warefare? Is that a graphics engine that Epic and Legend developed or is it a game that Epic are working on?

Well I'm in Max Payne mode now. Must confess I've not played the orginal Max Payne game yet and a friend suggested to play this before digging your teeth in to Max Payne 2.

Nothing would be what it is. Because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise - what it is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be it would. You See?

Lewis Carroll, Alice In Wonderland
Grismald
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2004 18:28
I've only played the demo of Unreal 2 XMP
which includes one map (XMP-garden i think).
I've played it several times on the net; once you've found
a good server it's really worth playing.The gameplay is a
mix between Halo and Battlefield 1942,feturing several playerclasses(ranger,tech and gunner) and vehicles in huge areas.
Unreal warfare is actually an engine, not a game.I think it was used in splinter cell and Rainbow six:Raven shield.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2004 19:23
I have both Unreal 2 and UT2003, but whats XMP?
As a player of the first Unreal, I was highly disappointed with U2. Graphics were great, and sadly thats all. Weak storyline and way too easy. I beat the game in about 8 hours I think, and that was average or normal difficulty. There was hardly ever anything to shoot in my opinion. The first Unreal took me months of playing. Huge maps and very involved gameplay. These maps were tiny I thought, most of them anyway. And I didn't get lost once, meaning it was too friggin easy! I want my $50 back! As for UT2003, I play it online almost everyday.

"eureka" - Archimedes
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2004 19:31 Edited at: 10th Jan 2004 19:34
The multiplayer wasn't as good as I thought it would be... You do need more than 3 people to play it as the levels are large.

At least its free...

I had no problem with the story either. The ending was sad, but different. See my postings about U2 that are here somewhere...

Oh, and Max Payne 2 is rather short too...

The place for all great plug-ins
2 x XP3000+, 1Gb RAM, nVidia FX5600. 1 Draytec Router and me.
Grismald
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2004 19:37 Edited at: 10th Jan 2004 19:38
Phaelax:
XMP stands for eXpanded MultiPlayer, it's the mutiplayer patch for
Unreal 2.
Quote: "The XMP "Expanded multiplayer" addition to Unreal II: The awakening incorporates a class-based multiplayer system into the single-player title."

You can dl it on fileplanet (271mb):
http://www.fileplanet.com/files/130000/134115.shtml
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2004 00:11
Looking at XMP has convinced me to eventually buy Unreal 2 ...

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
U2 and XMP i got the special edition beat the single player in less then a day =\ sort of disappointed that it was that short of a game.

i like the online play just not the lag =\

MX46 motherboard 1.7ghz 785mb's DDR ram gforce 4 mx440 se 64mb ddr dual vga gfx card with onboard lan/sound/graphics works great...sometimes
Starlight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2004 02:19 Edited at: 11th Jan 2004 02:20
And at the Beyond Unreal website, they have a lengthy preview of XMP:-

http://www.beyondunreal.com/content/articles/57_1.php

Nothing would be what it is. Because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise - what it is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be it would. You See?

Lewis Carroll, Alice In Wonderland

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 03:34:38
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 03:34:38