Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Very early program announcement ...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2004 05:21
Anyone who remembers any of the little games I've released "Space Melee" and "Big Fat Ice Football" will remember they were all multiplayer. The reason is two fold - (1) A.I. is fairly easy but really good human-equivilent A.I. is very tricky, and (2) being at uni I live with a three other lads all with networked PCs, so multiplayer is the best option for me.

Anyway, another thing is, I dont have time to make the big games really, but today I was inspired to crack on with a little game, and its turning out to be very classy. It's basically an asteroid style game, all in 2D (i love the speed of hundreds of sprites) designed for up to 4 players over the network. Think asteroids, but with non-destructable asteroids. You shoot the cr*p out of you opponent with lasers, chain guns, homing missiles and other weapons. Asteroids are non-destructable, but their trajactory can be changed with explosions and a special tractor beam weapon (which allows you to push and pull any object).

Anyway, the reason this announcement is here is because (a) I'm waiting for something and am killing time and (b) because its very early its a half arsed announcement that doesnt warrent being in the respective forum. Just wanted to let you guys know, I'm planning on getting to grips with making this code workable over the internet, so there could be a funky asteroids style deathmatch shooter on your plates in the not-to-distant future.

Insiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2004 05:36
cool

no
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2004 06:30
The controls and physics of that would be hard to not make it clunky.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 22:03
Ahhh, you underestimate me young jedi!

Designed this one to a T before I even opened up DB. Got 15 A4 pages of pseudo code, type definitions. Admittedly, the networking will still be a challenge, but I've already got the majority of it working, and special functions to dynamically allow anything to generate smoke or fire, which means chain guns, rockets, ship, explosions and collisions all create smoke and fire effects.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 23:27
Are the asteroids going to be slow moving like an ever shifting maze or fast moving where survival is as challenging as taking out the enemy?
--
TAZ

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 02:12
At the moment they're slow moving, and they're more to your advantage than danger. You can hide behind them, and homing missiles track any object on screen, so you can use them to lose homers etc. Having said that, if you hit them you get damage proportional to your velocity, and explosions will set the smallers ones moving quickly, so they should offer a mixture danger and benefit.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 05:43
Well, the proof is in the pudding. Seeing as this is now working on a very basic level, I might as well as what you guys think of it so far.

Download 2MB here
http://www.kontact-kru.com/game/Asteroids.zip

Default weapon is minigun (which will be a high level power up). Unfortunately there's no way of changing weapons yet within the game, although they're coded. Use cursor keys. You're invulnerable. Hold down space to see what I did while testing the explosion generator. Try out the collisions with the space ship on rocks, and rocks on rocks etc. Tell me if you see any bugs!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 04:14:10
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 04:14:10