Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Level Creations

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2004 15:23
i know alot of you out there struggle alot with level editors and creating working worlds with collision for DarkBASIC Professional.
so i'm wondering;

what would you want to see in a level format?
commands for DBP you'd like to see to be able to control and access this format?

anything you can think of which you'd see as being part of a level format, i would like to know.

Would you want to be able to create Machinima with it?

How about utilising Shaders, or being able to call and delete the visible portals?

Would you want a Programming Interface to be able to program addon features or tie in physics engines?

anything at all you'd like to see, i'd like to hear about.

Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine!
900mhz|256mb|FX5200Ti 52.16|Dx9|WXP-Pro
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2004 19:01
Well, if you do make one thing priority, make it physics. Many of us here, including myself, struggle with making realistic physics.

So being able to include a physics engine would be really nice, as it allows us to add to the atmosphere and realism.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2004 19:10
Lighting is probably the most important thing.

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2004 23:03
what would you want to see in a level format?
-indoor and outdoor, corridors, landscapes, lightmapping, movers(UnrealEd?,stuff that moves)

commands for DBP you'd like to see to be able to control and access this format?
`lots

Would you want to be able to create Machinima with it?
-not particlularly, but if you want?

How about utilising Shaders, or being able to call and delete the visible portals?
-sounds good, not essential for me personally

Would you want a Programming Interface to be able to program addon features or tie in physics engines?
-that would be nice

GO TO THE ETERNAL DESTINY FORUMS!!! http://forums.eternaldestinyonline.com
Do it now!!!
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2004 23:08
WORKING

FULLY DB COMPATIBLE

GOT DANG LIGHT MAPPING

This has been the bane of my existance. Lightmapping pretty much defines a level, and trying to get it to work is death.

PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, I would like to see how to make lightmaps too!

Dual AMD Athlon MP 2x1GHZ | IBM 15000Rpm SCSI 73.4 Gb X 2 | e-GeForce Ti4400 | Audigy 2 + 7.1 Surround sound | 17' Monitor | Ugly mouse
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 06:08
does that mean you guys would just prefer a working version of BSP that has an interface to enable physics?

i'm sorry but there are alot of vague things apart from lightmaps

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 06:39
BSP? No, not BSP...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 08:50
hmm, well without using a current base format this'll take a while. not to mention the time to create plugins for a modelling program; really will need alot more information about what you people want more precisely

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 12:13
To tell the truth, I reckon there'd be a helluva lot of work in a real DBPro level editor. For one thing we need more control over memblock meshes. Once we can define our own limbs and texturing things get easier, because then we can look at portals etc, but right now making a mesh for each different texture is not feasible - and trying to add a portal system on top of that is definately not feasible.

If I was considering this, I'd start with a terrain editor, then add some extra dimension - like being able to extrude tiles to make walls - all keeping withing the constraints of a terrain, but allowing wall collision and reasonably fast collision detection using interpolation.

The only system like this I would attempt at the moment is a Tomb Raider style level format (which I've mentioned before) - that is feasible because you could easily fit all your textures into a matrice style texture set, and you have collision data that can be interpolated, meaning really fast detection. It would'nt be out of the question to make a Tomb Raider clone in DBPro.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 13:07
well the plan is actually to create this in MSVC++ ; the Editor would be to edit the propriotry format for the level, which will no doubt end up actually being made in PB w/OpenGL (cause i won't be making it)

Essentially what i plan to do is take the DBP DirectX Layer, and then just create my own pipeline independant of DBP's for the level format.

so really it's more upto what kinda of features people want to see in this.

sofar all i can think of is ...
Event Scripting - "Animated events based on a scripting language"
Entity Scripts - "Point Entities which hold specific user set data structures."
Lightmapping - "Prerendered Lightmaps to add realism"
Vertex Colours - "Colours per vertex to add greater blend depth between the shaded faces and vertex"
Texture Shaders - "Scripted MultiTexturing"
Pixel Shader - "Hardware Pixel Shader Effects"
Vertex Shader - "Hardware Vertex Shader Effects"
Geomipmapping - "Geometry MipMapping, basically LOD based on difference but for matricies"
Static Mesh - "what it says on the tin really"
Collision - "probably just simple box collision or collision area data access"
Low Level Access - "low level controls for editing vertex/mesh/entity/script data directly ... or atleast getting current data"

i'm sure there are more features i've missed, and i'm not entirely sure what are the most important to the DBP user.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 03:31:57
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 03:31:57