Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Sound card problem :)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 01:40
Hi guys. I'm on my dad's computer temporarily until my new power source arrives (thank you to everyone who helped me troubleshoot my old system-- Indi, Ralen, and Jimmy in particular on the IRC, but everyone on the forum thread too). Anyways, it has a sound card, but when he switched from XP to 2000 the drivers were lost.

I've got the drivers for the sound card, and the system detected them and installed them for the driverless 'Multimedia Audio Controller' PCI hardware. The sound card. Anyways, the problem is there's still no sound... the device gives an 'error 10: device could not start', and all the sound options are disabled because, well, there's no working device for them. I'm certain these are the right drivers for the hardware and OS combination... any ideas what's wrong

Thank you

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
Goto driversguide and search for a driver you need.

Dual AMD Athlon MP 2x1GHZ | IBM 15000Rpm SCSI 73.4 Gb X 2 | e-GeForce Ti4400 | Audigy 2 + 7.1 Surround sound | 17' Monitor | Ugly mouse
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 02:03
Why swith from XP to 2000?

What sound card do you think you have. Is it onboard or a pci card. What is the number on the chip as that is easiest way to find what one it is. If onboard and you are not sure, what is make and model of motherboard.

In my experience most onboard sound chips are from Opti or C-media

Boo!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 02:57
'Goto driversguide and search for a driver you need.'

Please read my post before replying

'Why swith from XP to 2000?'

Software reasons.

'What sound card do you think you have. Is it onboard or a pci card. What is the number on the chip as that is easiest way to find what one it is. If onboard and you are not sure, what is make and model of motherboard.'

It's a PCI crystal audio card, and I know the number and I have the right driver for it, as already stated. The problem's something else .

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 03:44 Edited at: 12th Jan 2004 03:45
If you didn't try getting drivers from the pc manufactures site. Some oem cards require specific drivers that are provided by the pc manufacturer.

Of just buy a cheap card and use that instead.

dbpro : 2ghz p4m : 512mb : geforce 4 4200 go
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
Start in safe mode, delete the card from device manager, uninstall the drivers, then restart, wait until device is detected / installed and reintall drivers. Let us know how you get on.

Dual AMD Athlon MP 2x1GHZ | IBM 15000Rpm SCSI 73.4 Gb X 2 | e-GeForce Ti4400 | Audigy 2 + 7.1 Surround sound | 17' Monitor | Ugly mouse
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 17:07
Thanks guys,

winch-> Yes, these are those drivers, right from their site.

PiratSS-> It detected the hardware, and the drivers as correct on startup, installed them, restarted, same thing

Thanks...

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 18:16
mouse, try this: remove the card from windows and uninstall the drivers. reboot the machine. when it detects the card and wants to set up the drivers Cancel out of everything until you are booted up and at your desktop. Now put in the cd and manually install the drivers.

This was a problem with some flavors of SB Live cards and Creative recommended installing manually instead of letting windows handle it - might be worth a shot although this should have been mentioned in the audio documentation of the card. Can't hurt to try.

-RUST-

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 23:38
I've got three files from the CD (same when downloaded from their site)-- a .sys, an .ini and a .cat. What do I do with them to install them manually

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 23:46
hmm, I was expecting there be some form of setup.exe or similar file. This problem you are having is probably not related to what I suggested. sorry.

-RUST-

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 23:50
Thanks anyways .

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 00:20
Quote: "a .sys, an .ini and a .cat. What do I do with them to install them manually"

Go into device manager, right-click on the device and select properties.
click the driver tab and update drivers button.
One of the options lets you select a location, select where the drivers are and it should find and install them.

dbpro : 2ghz p4m : 512mb : geforce 4 4200 go
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 00:21
That's more or less what I've been doing... those three files are what I've installed from these past 4 times

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 03:42:57
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 03:42:57