Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Question for Magic World users...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 04:21 Edited at: 12th Jan 2004 19:19
Overall I'm impressed with Magic World. It's user-friendly and interacts nicely with DBP. I'm having one kinda big problem though.

Mr. King recommends using a single file that includes all of the textures and possible transitions that you'll need in the matrixes and I can dig that, you can get pretty nice transitions that way. However, even when using the mud and grass texture that came with Magic World, I'm getting some funky discoloration on the edge of every texture.

As a simple example of the problem, say I'm using the grass/rock/mud file that comes with MW. I create a brand new matrix and pick that texture file. 8 sections across, 12 down, easy nuff. I pick the top left section (just grass) and apply it to the whole matrix. It looks fine, so I save it.
Once I put it in DBP, there is a very clear white edge on one side of every texture section. The white edge appears to come from the top right section of the .bmp, which is just a blank (white).

Has anyone else run into this? How do ya fix it? I tried altering the .bmp by shifting it a little to the other side, but then it just starts blending the section on the other side.
Please help!

A Cloaking Robe of Elven-Kind hangs in my wardrobe behind
All those things that mother said were proper for a boy
Doremar
Years of Service
User Offline
Pardon the grammar issues above. No edit button =)

Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 12:53
Doremar, there is a edit button, but its hidden under your avatar (this forum is not user friendly, all those hidden buttons )

Quote: "
Amd 2500+ | 1024mb pc2700 | A7N8X-X | Geforce4 ti 4200 128mb
"
Doremar
Years of Service
User Offline
Sure enough!

I guess I'm just used to a very specific forum layout, I swear I looked and just didn't see it <-- Stevie Wonder
So yeah, thanks =)

Back to the original problem, I'm gonna try coming up with my own texture layout for the .bmp so that a little overlapping doesn't matter, then the issue is moot. Still open to ideas if anyone's got em =)

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 06:03
The only thing I can think of is the fact that Magic World does not fully support Pro, and if yoyu're using AutoTex, that might be causing some problems. I love magic world as well, but I cannot figure out the MagicLoad function works. I tried just sticking in a 3d model, and it didn't seem to like that much. Do you know what all the parameters are for?

Juvenile Industries
Current Project: KillZone(FPS)
Soon to come:An rts, and a snowball fight game
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 14:38
You'll need to play around with the SET MATRIX TRIM command. I've not used it myself, so you'll need to experiment with the values.

For free Plug-ins, source and the DBPro Interface library for Visual C++ 6 and .NET
http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Doremar
Years of Service
User Offline
Check out this link for help on getting Magic World working with either DBC or DBP. Good code for getting world height from multiple matrixes too.

http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=8001&b=7

The syntax for the load command is
MagicLoad("name of world", first image number, first matrix number, first object number)
That'll usually be MagicLoad("name",1,1,1). Just pick image numbers and object numbers you haven't used elsewhere in your code.

Thanks for pointing out the set matrix trim command. It looks like that command is designed specifically to deal with the "ugly lines" problem I'm having. I will definately have to play around with that when I get off work tonight.

On the other hand, redesigning the .bmp setup worked nicely too, I might just stick with it. Yes, it removes the possibility of auto-texturing with Magic World, but I also dropped the size of the .bmp by 1/3 by removing the blends that I know I'll never use or just aren't necessary. I wonder how hard it would be to customize the auto-texture feature in Magic World... does anyone happen to know if Mr. King released the source code?

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 02:17
He's still thinking about releasing it, but he probably will after or soon before he finishes his "Attack of the Baddies", I know I'm hungry for it.

Juvenile Industries
Current Project: KillZone(FPS)
Soon to come:An rts, and a snowball fight game
waffle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 15:09
Magic World was coded in DBC thats why it looks different

internet gaming group
current project http://home.comcast.net/~norman.perry/Archon.html

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 15:37:13