Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Whats the scariest game(s) you've played?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 07:33
I want the game I'm working on to be a horror. Everything is dark, shadowy, ultra modern gothic type stuff, and I'm looking for influences. No, there's no actual game yet. I have the Nuclearglory DLL working very smoothly with a level I've developed. I'm strong in 3ds max modeling and texturing, working on animation, I program in a few languages and I compose music and do sound effects. All that said, I want my game to be spooky, and I'm looking for stuff.

The only scary game I remember playing is Resident Evil on Gamecube, but I want more. What gets your vote for a freaky game?

Easily Confused
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 07:36
Rainbow Islands - scared the hell out of me

(of course I'm joking )

Programming anything is an art, and you can't rush art.
Unless your name is Bob Ross, then you can do it in thirty minutes.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 07:44
Alien vs Predator 2 had some scary parts. In particular, I've found it's scary when you're basically walking through a dead quiet, dark level and an enemy jumps out at you very fast and very loud. Gives you quite a fright.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Night Giant
Years of Service
User Offline
well, there are many scary games you might check out for ideas: Silent Hill scared the crap out of me, Fatal Frame was also very scary, um, there are many other resident evil games, alone in the dark is good, just look around for survival horror games. you say "spooky", silent hill and fatal frame have plenty of that, just plain creepy ambience and silence freaked the hell out of me.

oh, wow. insignificantpunks.cjb.net. we like orange treble clef notes, just for future reference.

no: website for progs yet.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 08:53
Alone in the Dark, '92 ... today it doesn't scare me at all, but when i was 13 on my dad's 286 late at nite, it scared the bejesus outta me

probably more cause i was scared of getting caught playing it lol
Alien Vs Predator on the PC was another one, because the action was deliberaly slow paces when you played as a Marine. And the newly added A3D surround you could hear scurrying from all around which just puts the shivers up ya.
especially with the movie style music aimed to really set the atmosphere.

^_^ definately some good games too hehee

Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine!
900mhz|256mb|FX5200Ti 52.16|Dx9|WXP-Pro
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 09:03
Yeah Raven, Alone in the Dark was creepy

Spice Girls the game was pretty scary

http://www.dbspot.com/ - free webhosting (WORKS NOW)
Don't forget to listen to the unofficial DB streaming radio station: http://jimmykicks.ath.cx:8000
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 10:17
The Max Payne cut-scenes were bad...especially if you are a parent. The incessant wailing and the "need" to get to the baby's bedroom ties you up in knots.

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 10:25 Edited at: 12th Jan 2004 10:26
The 7th Guest freaked me out in '93 when I was a young lad. I'd turn the music up and play it with the lights out.

Also, for some reason Half-Life scared me--- those little face huggers that leaped across the room at you. More of a *JUMP* scare though, not long and brooding. Fatal Frame-- -another creepy game.

- JeKu

EDIT: WEIRD! The date on my avatar is now back at July. I remember complaining before how it said December... hmmm....

http://www.automatongames.com/
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 10:54
Resident evil was never scary because slow moving zombies versus 12-gauge shotgun is not match - theres no fright factor, just violence. Aliens versus predator was class, very dim, forced the player to use flares and torch to see. When the battery ran out and you had to let it recharge in the dark, that was scary. Scripted events, eg an alien running past where you can just see the outline were good, hanging skinned bodies left by the predator were good mood setters. The game didnt have music, only the crecendos upon certain scary events, and the constand bup.....bup....bup of the moption tracker. Playing as the marine was definately the scariest - the weakest species.

ZEDWARE website coming soon... //END TRANSMISSION//
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 11:15
A game that made me jump was Return to Wolfenstein - some moments in that are just very surprising, not really a freightnening game. A really creepy game is Silent Hill, disturbing and some really well designed monsters make it much more scary than Res Evil. The original Res Evil on the PSX was pretty scary, in an old zombi flick kinda style, much more freaky mansion than the recent 'Ohh look, your at the Umbrella factory again (insert sarcastic yawn)'.

I must say though, don't try and get inspiration from videogames. Look into the artwork of H.R.Geiger, watch Aliens, and watch The Crow - try and get as much gothic imagery as you can from the net too - go for dark scenes but do it in your own way.

*While I'm here, a couple of considerations:
This is very doable in DBPro; dancing siloutes against a wall, fairly simple to do but it would make for a very creepy scene - expecially with some tribal music - maybe there's nothing there when you actually look at the fire (or light source).

*Graffiti is a really good level design trick, it creates a creepy atmosphere and is relatively accessible to anyone with a decent art package, the sort of texturing that you'll enjoy doing and is great for horror games.

*Sound effects, get a lot of weird little sounds, like metallic chinks and squeky woodwork - sound plays an enormous part in horror games, you can use it to great effect just before a key part of the plot, build up the suspense slowly and the player won't be able to stop playing till they find out what that noise was.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 12:52
scariest game i played was silent hill. was that scared i didnt complete it!

lagmasteruk - http://www.lagmaster.net is alive! http://www.dbforums.co.uk/ - another db forum!

Dark Snippet Pro V9.2 is out!!
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 13:32
Silent Hill 3, or Fatal Frame 2... nuff said

If i ain't here, i'm probably playing DOA2 Hardcore on the PS2
Former name : Liquidz_Snake
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 15:21 Edited at: 12th Jan 2004 15:41
Oh, just remembered a game that got a good review as being scary. I haven't played it myself, but the game based on the movie "The Thing" apparently is very scary and adds a gameplay element to it as well. I believe it had 'Frightened metres' or something for everyone in your team, I can't remember fully though because it's been a while since I read the review. Might be worth just downloading the demo or something, in fact, I'm going to do it right now because I want to play it for myself.

Edit: A review also said: "The game features a rich story, well delivered to the gamer, you get to taste the suspense straight from the start of the game, spooky and dark rooms sure do help the overall scary environment of the game, drastically sucking the gamer into a full experience of nerve wreck ness"

Darksyde
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 15:29
Try Shadowman. May be a bit dodgy in places (also I don't know about shadwoman 2 as I haven't played it) When the guys with big hook hangs suddenly appear n come running at you, you proper crap yourself. Especially like the silence of the lambs style killer with the night vision goggles. Anyways check it, has some good ideas n is genuinely scary.

Athlon 2200 XP, 512MB RAM, Geforce 4 128MB
Sly D
Years of Service
User Offline
Definitely AvP and the sound of motion detector...

A cute looking koala with a WHAT!? THEY can't use Kalashnikovs, can they?
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 18:11
@Jeku
Yes, The 7th Guest was (and still is) awesome in every respect. That game's scary mood/vibe was provided by the stunning graphics, but moreso by the most amazing sound track I have ever heard in a game.
Just 1 guy's opinion tho.

Avp was quite good and I loved Doom back in the day, for their scariness factors.
<scampers away whispering "I am not going 'round that corner, no way">

-RUST-

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 20:34
@CattleRustler - Yes I agree the 7th Guest soundtrack was the best ever in a game. In fact, I still have the MP3's on my hard drive! Managed to find them on KaZaa about 4 years ago And, of course, the cool thing was the entire soundtrack was playable on the second CD of the game. Very cool.

- JeKu

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 21:30
Biggest shock was probably Doom. I had been playing it to death a bit and was getting a little bored. Someone then bunged RANDoom on it (hadn't seen it upto that point). All the monsters then got put into random places. Totally scared me when a monster appeared in a place I *knew* never had any monsters.

The Aliens game on the Spectrum (like 15+ years ago) was very frightening I remember.

Although I would have to say the most nervous I got in a game must be The great escape on the Spectrum (Ocean). God that used to require some balls to play that game. I was only a kid, so give me a break Hmmm. Just noticed, that's the bird from New Zealand Story. Loved that game. Didn't scare me mind...

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 21:43
Frogger...poor frog... ...actually losing on Frogger for the PS1 causes me to yank it off the shelf anf beat it until its broken...i never played Frogger again...

OSFusion is the greatest project ever undertaken. It is an unreasonable concept with unsound principles...and thats why im the head of its development.
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 21:52
thief 2, not really a scary game, i just had a pretty scary experience. I was playing with the lights turned out, was in a library, when out of knowhere a ghost just popped out, i ran out of the room screaming

anyways it's got a kinda gothic theme to it...

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 23:55
@ Jeku

heheh! yeah I still have the original dos version on original cd's. I also have the windows version that trilobyte rereleased when win 95 came along - great thing is that it runs fine on 98 and I still get nostalgic and play it every so often! And yes, for me, having the .mid's on the hd is a must! Coolest thing I did was put the mids on floppy and load them up on the Yamaha PSR540, which has insane sounding midi hardware (pro quality) and played back the mids thru it...the audio experience was surreal! <hugs Team Fat and the Fat Man>

-RUST-

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 23:57
Nothing can ever beat System Shock 2. Those who don't think it's the scariest game ever haven't played it

Daggerfall also scared the crap out of me a few times.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 00:51
Thief gets pretty damn scary.

Half-life is really scary in parts.

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 01:22
Street Racer for the Playstation console. Was so bad it was scary

Cheers,
Preston

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz 512MB Ram NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 128MB
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 01:33
@cattlerustler - Good idea! I have the Yamaha PSR530 and I will try the MIDs on that today

- JeKu

Blazer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 01:48
It freaked me in half life were you get in the shark cage to kill that fish thing, the cage snaps and the fish starts biting at the cage to get to you.

I discriminate against discriminating people....
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 02:25
@ Jeku - the richness of the midi audio from the yamaha will blow you away - especially in the piano parts. The whole damned thing rules, turn it up loud.

-RUST-

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 02:45
The only time Half-Life ever got scary for me was when I would start kind of not thinking about what I was doing and just doing the puzzle solving without much thought, then there would be something that I didn't expect, like a hanging guy's vine tounge or a green thing appearing in front of my face.

The game itself was never scary. Just when I lost focus.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Films are scary because the main characters are always dimwits! They'll do things that are totally stupid!

"Oh I'll just take a look down the pipe with the dead body in it!"

"I threw away the map, and kicked it into the stream! Ha Ha!"

"I'm just going to take a look inside the home of the mass murderer!"

"This house has a blood stained butcher's knife, but I wonder what's in the next room???"

"I could call the police, but I think I might try to fool the killer with my son's plastic gun!"

But in a game, you aren't going to be so stupid all the time! So it is hard to make a game scary!

It is possible though! You need to force the player into doing the stupid things because they have no other options. They might have to collect something from the pipe with the dead body inside!!!

Pincho.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 13:52
lol you forgot: "There's an alien trying to get out of the toilet I'm sitting on, maybe I should stand up to pick up a toothpick off the ground."

DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 14:15
Me and my mate played half life with fullvolume and lights turned out to "Maximise the experience". We got to the part where you can see the scientest with the face crab in the room where the lights are flickering, and he sh*t himself and made me turn it off. Hee Hee.

-Dave

Your soul...it tastes like chicken

Official Website Coming Soon
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 17:42
My bro was playing HL. I'd already played through it but he was new; he encountered his first Barnacle and almost didn't notice it... then he said 'wait!' jumped almost a feet in his seat. Then he relaxed and said 'Oh, just a power wire, jeez...' and walked right by it.

Freaked the living sh*t out of him

TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 19:49
hmm... scariest game? Pokemon Yellow. I shudder at the thought...

actually, IMO, it was silent hill. Much better than resident evil.
I guess those are the only "horror" games I've played...

Morfy's Law - Enythink thet ken go rong willll.
Cole's Law - Thinly sliced cabbage.
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually, the scariest game is Counter Strike!

When somone shoots you out of no were, u just jump!

Dual AMD Athlon MP 2x1GHZ | IBM 15000Rpm SCSI 73.4 Gb X 2 | e-GeForce Ti4400 | Audigy 2 + 7.1 Surround sound | 17' Monitor | Ugly mouse
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 00:04
The fact that you know their names doesn't put you in good light.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 00:34
Agreed. I was a better human without the knowledge

Rye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 02:09
I have to agree with mouse. System Shock 2 is scared the hell out of me. Its the atmosphere of the game along with a great story. The zombie type things having very very quiet footsteps and their strange voices. Also thoes monkeys and their scream that u dont hear until they launch a blue ball thing at you.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 12:32
That one scene in Max Payne where its all dark except for the blood trails you have to follow. And there's that baby crying in the background the whole time. It was just freaky.

Theif, at 3am with the lights out and surround sound on. That game can really make you paranoid.

"eureka" - Archimedes
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 12:40
I thought that level was more disturbing then scary, it started to get on my nerves a bit too because it's basically just an ongoing maze. lol.

TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 13:04
Quote: "the fact that you know their names doesn't put you in good light"

unless in my case, where I have a little brother...

Morfy's Law - Enythink thet ken go rong willll.
Cole's Law - Thinly sliced cabbage.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 13:04
Ahh, Aliens on the Spectrum was a very tense game, one of the better Alien games from the era, there was a couple I think, the one I liked was the one with the sorta first person view. The screen would scroll left and right and you'd simply walk into rooms and through doors trying to find the armoury and eventually the exit. An alien would often come running straight at you without any real warning and you had to get your cursor onto it and blast it first 0 without leaving a acid-blood puddle that would block the door. Aliens Ressurection on the PS1 was immensely scary too, one of the few deliberately scary games that actually scared you. The way the aliens sorta hid from you the jump out always made me jump.

The most nerve wracking game I've player though is Burnout on the X-Box, it's a driving game where you have to weave in and out of traffic at crazy speeds, some parts just leave you shaking with the adrenaline (no joke - get it now if you have a box, it'll only be about £15).

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 15:41
I remember when Doom first came out and my dad had it....I was 5, he was[playing it and we could hear a monster up a staircase, we were at the bottom... mydad sneaked up and one of those pink bloody monstrosities jumped out. So I jumped off the bench I was sitting on (clean off backwardds) and hit my head on the floor. Hm.

Couple of weeks ago I hooked my XBox up through my dads amp and 5.1 speaker system.....now the games are in DTS!! Oh the beauty of the experience.

ZEDWARE website coming soon... //END TRANSMISSION//
Jeffro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 17:12
The game that scared me, especially playing late at night, was Clive Barker's Undying. The sound effects and general atmosphere were guaranteed to put the creeps up you.

Go dpuga Dia suaimhneas dom ...
nrasool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 17:27
Clive Barker's Undying was a under rated game, i really enjoyed it. I really enjoyed Resident Evil when it came out on the playstation, for it jump moments, Silent Hill is creepy and eerie, i like the way the sound effects are done, slowly building up

Harvester on the PC was good and a bit sick. Alien Vs Predator is good as well when you are playing the soldier, hearing the beep noises, then an alien appears.

I remember playing Friday the 13th on the Amstrad CPC 464, and when someone died, you hear a sampled screen. Scared the life out of me because you don't expect it

A Good Programmer never blames his tools
MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 03:49
System Shock 2 for me.

It's the only game that's made me sit on the edge of my seat, and yell out.

That's a great game. I recommend it to everyone.

-----
They SAID that given enough time a million monkeys with typewriters could recreate the collected works of William Shakespeare... Internet sure proved them wrong.
-----
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 05:49
Quote: "Clive Barker's Undying was a under rated game"

Sorry, but I hated that game.

"eureka" - Archimedes
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Half-life

When those damn small things pop down from inside the top of the rooms that scared the crap outta me never expect it...i hope HL2 is 10000005984075840x better =)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 04:08:06
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 04:08:06