Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Need a good 3d modeler, Which one is good ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have DBC and have been messin arund with a few 3d modelers. I tryed anim8tor but I don't really like the interface and I find it hard to animate. I have also tryed milkshape but it only supports halflife and quake that I know of. I am looking to create models such as ones like in dungeon siege or pool of radiance where their is an isometric view.

I wanted to know whats a good 3d modeler whether it's freeware, shareware, or full priced. Can you please suggest some because I am new to modeling and don't know the inn's and outs and what is better than others. Thanks

"The Infamous J Nice"
Doremar
Years of Service
User Offline
I didn't like anim8tor either, maybe it was just too steep a learning curve and I'm too excited to move into game design to spend that much time learning one tool.
As a beginner I've had a lot of success with MilkShape and CharacterFX (shareware). I'll create the primitives and do some shaping of the basic model and initial texturing in Milkshape, export it as a Milkshape 3d ASCII and then import it into CharacterFX to animate it.
Character FX seems to export to DBP flawlessly, but I can't vouch for DBC. I wouldn't think it would be that different.
I also haven't gotten into complex texturing yet. When I do get there it looks like Lithunwrap will work just fine with MilkShape.

A Cloaking Robe of Elven-Kind hangs in my wardrobe behind
All those things that mother said were proper for a boy
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 04:21
Milkshape can export tons of formats lol Direct X, 3DS, .LWO, you name it, MS can probably import/export it

Milkshape is simple and cheap and perfect for DB.

3DS Max is 3000 dollars, so if your new to 3D Modelling, I wouldnt go for that, its for INDUSTRY PROFESSIONALS.

RPGamer

We need help! Email us! join@eternaldestinyonline.com
Guyon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 15:35
Milkshape is the obvious choice, though I have never used it.

3ds max is GREAT but it is expensive. An incredible mid priced modeler/animation package is Animation Master. http://www.hash.com
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 16:00 Edited at: 13th Jan 2004 16:00
-3ds max is GREAT but it is expensive. An incredible mid priced modeler/animation package is Animation Master

I'm actually looking into Martin Hash's:animation master,from what I see though,it's spline-based and a very cryptic coding for splines called "Coon-splines"...Modeling inside of it and/or for it,seems rather tedious as you need to use 5 Points patches to make up for the creasing created by N-sided CP's,and everyone know how 5 oints patches/polygon deform horribly when animated.

The software has a cool toon shader though,there'a Japanime made with it.

http://www.anime-int.com/works/magic/3d/ova/index.html

Also look at a few movies/shorts.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99008&highlight=japanese

BlackBird thinks he owns the sky,
But he can't look me in the eye,
-Andy Bell
DBasic Khan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 21:00
I hate animation master
Right now ive beenc doing all my modeling in my 3d animation class so i have access to MAX
I hear Maya is realy good, but its like 2x what max costs and i dont know if it would be appropriate for dbasic
Renegade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 21:24
Why going to 3DSM or Maya when you have GameSpace?
and if its too much then you have 3D Canvas Pro.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 22:58
3DS and Maya > Gamespace

For the budget friendly, easy to use, perfect for DB modelling tool, use MILKSHAPE 3D.

RPGamer

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 16:23
Yep!

GameSpace is a neat package and one that merits a place on top of your list of softwares to buy for game dev...

BlackBird thinks he owns the sky,
But he can't look me in the eye,
-Andy Bell
Renegade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 16:29 Edited at: 14th Jan 2004 16:33
Quote: "3DS and Maya > Gamespace"

The same goes for their price
GameSpace = $300
3DSM = $3,495
(http://estore.discreet.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry17c?SP=10007&PN=5&CID=0&SID=37482&PID=613375&DSP=&CUR=826&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0)

You can also choose CINEMA 4D "only" for EUR 602,59 (the cheapest version) http://www.maxonshop.com/cgi-bin/row/gp?pg=main
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 16:59
for a FREE program that can handle modeling, texturing, and animation, I recommend JTEdit... it's still in beta, but I've used it to successfully make animated 3D models and import them into DBPro with no trouble whatsoever.

http://www.jtgame.com/jtedit/jteditmain.html

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!
Renegade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 22:55
Got a question can 3D Canvas Pro compete with Milkshape?
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 23:12
No Milkshape OWNS

Just try all the demos and decide for yourself, lazy

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 00:50
gmax OWNS ALL! But you'll have to find a creative way to get animation.
And if your game does really well you might have to be creative with interpretation of license agreements.

Juvenile Industries
Current Project: KillZone(FPS)
Soon to come:An rts, and a snowball fight game
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 01:21
Translation: GMax is a marketing tool for 3D Studio Max. If you never plan to buy the very expensive 3DS program, you should avoid the trouble of learning or even downloading GMax.
--
TAZ

Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 01:58
I used to use Anim8or for my 3D modeling, but it is not the best because it is free, some things are more difficult to do, and the animation will not work for DB Classic or Pro.

Then I decided to go ahead and buy Milkshape. I don't regret it. It was well worth the $25. I remodeled all of my robots and other models in Milkshape in just a month or so. It is fast and easy to use, and it is powerful. I haven't used animation yet, but it is there when I need it. I used Milkshape for all of the models in my game, Firewall.

Xander Moser of Bolt Software
Firewall: Your Computer's First Defense - Real Time Strategy game - download from my website
Renegade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 14:12
What can MilkShape do that 3D Canvas Pro can't?
Grmreepr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 18:24
Another question from me, im interested in this forum, but what about truespace 3.2 , its free but i dunno if its better or worse than the others, predominantly milkshape. And i also want to know how milkshape would perform against 3d canvas pro, how good are these 3 programs against each other?

Amd Athlon 1ghz, 608mb SDRAM, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 128 DDR ram PCI
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 20:18
I believe TS 4.3 is the first version with X support that includes IK (not mesh) animation. I have not tried 3.2 so I can't say for sure.
--
TAZ

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2004 05:41
trueSpace3.2 is a bit limited for its animation, and general features overall. Right now they're running a sale where you can get TS4.3 for just $80. I'd do either that or gameSpace if you can bounce it.

Juvenile Industries
Current Project: KillZone(FPS)
Soon to come:An rts, and a snowball fight game

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 15:45:15
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 15:45:15