Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Good Bullet Pracices

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 21:03
Im tyring to get my game to be less difficult, sometimes it takes me 10 minuts to shoot down 1 enemy! so what do i do? Should i make my bullets larger? should i make a world box for the enemy? its a rouge squadron like game. how do you guys do it?
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 23:05
can you fire multiple bullets? a machine gun effect with unlimited ammo would make it easier i'd imagine although without playing your game its hard to tell. maybe aiming needs to be better, or you could make a option to be able to lock on to an enemy so your crosshairs are over them the whole time...

GO TO THE ETERNAL DESTINY FORUMS!!! http://forums.eternaldestinyonline.com
Do it now!!!
Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 23:26 Edited at: 13th Jan 2004 23:26
make the bulit or object as long as the speed its going to go.

if a=0
yrotate object 1,camera angle y()
xrotate object 1,camera angle x()
position object 1,camera position x(),5,camera position z()
if mouseclick()=1 then a=1
endif
endif

if a>0
inc a,1
move object 1,50
if a>10
a=0
endif
endif

I dont know how to spell
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 17:50
Well, you can always build in a lead point marker.

Try this:

1. Figure out how long it will take for your bullets to reach the target.
2. Draw a line from the nose of the enemy that is lead time * enemy speed long.
3. Aim for the end of the line (predicted movement vector.)

This works best for crossing the T. If the enemy is closing or moving away, you have to adjust the lead time to reflect the change.
As an alternate to drawing a line, you can use the move by command to 'project' a marker from the enemy ship. Just rotate the marker to match the enemy rotations, place the marker at the enemy position, and then use move by lead_time*enemy_speed to place the marker in its final position for that loop. Of course, if the enemy is jinking all over the place, the marker will be as well. [Just as it would in real fighter HUD.]
--
TAZ

DBasic Khan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 20:33
ok,
does any one know the mathmatical formulas (or preferably dbasic commands) that would allow me to determin were to place the marker?
I kinda understand what u r saying ziricher but im just not sure how to apply that to practical use! red eye: have you been playing star wraith? thats the system they use in that. ziricher do you mean something like this:
(were e= the enemy ship, p= player, a=point you must shoot)
E-------------a

p
so to shoot e while e is moving, p must shoot at point a.
The problem is a would be forever changing, even if it remains @ a constant speed, the moment p moves a must adapt. so how do i calculate were a must adapt to? (and be placed in the first position)
Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 22:47
@zircher are you the one who made thet fast collision.

there are many ways to do collision but for a very easy one
try the code I gave you.

I dont know how to spell
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 01:16
@Slayer, Nah, I'm not a collision guru. That's why I proudly bought the NGC DLL. It makes me look smarter than I am.

@DBasic Khan, Use the rotation, position, and move by commands and the marker object will automatically update every game loop for you. No tricky math involved beyond enemy_speed * range_time. [That's your movement vector, since the marker is reset every game loop, it will always be refreshed in the correct postion.]

Note, that the marker is not part of the vehicle's HUD, but an actual 3D object flying in front of the enemy. If you want to make a true HUD, you'd got some serious coding to do since you have to take a 3D solution and present it as a 2D display.

I'd try the easy way first and see if that works for you.
--
TAZ

DBasic Khan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 20:20
Yea i understand how to make the hid etec. Im jus tgonna make the object infront hidden then tell the game that if the object on screen then draw a dot (or box or circle etec.) on its onscreen position. But i still dont understand how it callculates were the box should be placed. is it just enemy_speed * range_time? im sorry i must seem like a broken record but i just dont get it. and how do you get the comp to meausure enemy speed and range time???
DBasic Khan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 20:21
quote:Yea i understand how to make the hid etec
make that: Yea i understand how to make the HUD etec
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 23:34
Basically, you're doing vector math without the vectors.

Off the top of my head...

I hope that makes sense, becuase I can't help you much more than that.
--
TAZ

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 15:56:06
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 15:56:06