Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / level building in DBP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
i've been messing around with the demo of dark basic professional and i've got some questions about making levels for my games.

1. bsps or .x files? i currently use 3dstudio max for designing all of my models, levels, etc. should i use bsp files? i know i can "bake" the textures in max, but i've never tried this before. is this similar to lighting a map in a bsp file? do lights placed in bsp files affect the models in game like in quake, or are they purely for lighting the textures?

2. i've made a small program that loads in a .x building that i have created, and i've used the set detail mapping function to add more detail the problem is that it applies it to the whole model! is there a way to apply certain detail maps to certain textures? maybe a function to go through all of the textures the model uses and then apply them from there?

3. is there a difference in collision detection between using .x and bsp files?

4. is there a difference between rendering speed when using bsp files for levels and .x files for levels? i'm using a radeon 9000 all in wonder pro.

thanks for the help!
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 23:01
1) at the moment .x files, .bsp is just too buggy
2)not sure, i don't think so though
3)yes, .bsp uses inbuilt collision, which works ok(buggy) with .x files you need your own collision or use someone elses, such as ng's .dll or kensupens .x collision code in the codebase.
4)there probably is a difference, not sure which it favours though, probably depends on level size etc.

hope that helped abit

GO TO THE ETERNAL DESTINY FORUMS!!! http://forums.eternaldestinyonline.com
Do it now!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 15:50:46
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 15:50:46