Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Selling Games or Programs

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 13:10
Hi

I just have a few questions concerning selling games/programs/3d models over the internet, and am wondering if anyone can help me out. Im in the UK if that bears any significance.

Would it be legal to make a game or program, pop a demo onto my website for people to download, and then say if they want the full version, send, say £5 cash, to me, and then I would send them the full game? Would I need to register a company or anything like that? The game/program would have to be made with perfectly legit. programs in order for me to be allowed to sell it, right?

Additionally, would it be legal to make 3d models for people on request, and then charge them for it?

Just Wondering

Robin

http://www.thegameszone.tk | robin@thegameszone.tk
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 13:36
Yep, it's all legal and no, you don't need to register a company. Also, http://www.turbosquid.com is a site that's basically dedicated to selling 3d models over the net.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Dr OcCuLt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 14:51
go to a bank and open a business accont this is all you real need to start a business in the uk.

if you sell the games your self you have to pay VAT on then but there are some site where all this is take care of this like http://5star.freeserve.com/

--Dr 0--

Robin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 15:27
Thanks
I don't want to set up my own business , just have my games/programs as shareware, and recieve a bit of money if anybody does want to buy anything . Do you know if I would need to pay VAT if I didn't set up a company?
Thanks for the turbosquid link too
Robin

http://www.thegameszone.tk | robin@thegameszone.tk
Elleomea
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 15:50
You don't need to pay VAT until you're handling over £56,000 per annum. Remember that's not profit, that's total turnover.

How much ham could a hamster stir, if a hamster could stir ham?
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 16:16
Quote: "if you sell the games your self you have to pay VAT "

Not true.

Bottom line...you can sell your stuff as an individual. You should, if you have undeclared sources of income or earn enough to pay 40% tax, request a self-assessment form from your Tax Office. That is your obligation.

However...for a handful of low value sales I'm sure the taxman would prefer you not to fill in a form.

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
nrasool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 16:21
Quote: "Additionally, would it be legal to make 3d models for people on request, and then charge them for it? "

Well with this, i have seen people on website charging for custom built model. You pay them via PAYPAL or something

If you check out the following website http://homepage.ntlworld.com/toneth/

He sell custom low poly model.

A Good Programmer never blames his tools
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 16:21
Mr Tax Man has long arms and he'll find some way of considering your new found income taxeable, what is more, he'll find a way of making it an extremely high tax rate.

It probably is not strictly legal but you could try selling them as second hand goods, technically the the first hand copy is on your webhost or your own computer, and you are not selling anybody those files. There is no VAT on second hand goods, but if it is hugely sucessful you earn lots of money you may be liable for capital gains tax, also there is a European only taxation for internet purchased goods now which applies to all your European customers. You will need to acquire the relevent documentation from HMSO and from Brussels and employ a full time accountant to have a hope of doing this legitimately.

Thankyou Mr Blair. I can't wait for the next election so I can tell you how I feel...

In the meentime just remember that Blair's thugs (the Police force) do not go after criminals anymore, so as long as you do not own a motor car you can break as many laws as you like and there is little or no chance of being caught out.

Oh I forgot a bit, "if you own a motor car and pay your tax". There, that covers it.

God created the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 16:31 Edited at: 15th Jan 2004 06:56
Quote: "
just have a few questions concerning selling games/programs/3d models over the internet, and am wondering if anyone can help me out. Im in the UK if that bears any significance.
"

It doesn't really matter where you live.

I use shareit.com. They take care of everything regarding the sales process. All i need to do is ship the user their software. They can also handle VAT on your behalf, if you require.

Would it be legal to make a game or program, pop a demo onto my website for people to download, and then say if they want the full version, send, say £5 cash, to me, and then I would send them the full game?
"

yeah that's legal. You would need to ensure that all of the work is completely within your ownership though. So if your using somebody elses Media say, you'd need to check that's legal with them, in order to sell it as part of your package. No dramas, if you've created the media yourself.

Would I need to register a company or anything like that? The game/program would have to be made with perfectly legit. programs in order for me to be allowed to sell it, right?
"

You don't need to register as company. Most people work as a sole traders (like myself). If your thinking about selling other peoples programs, before you do it, make sure you obtain their permission.

Many online traders offer affiliate programs. Even Dark Basic Pro is available under this system. Basically it means you could set up a shop front on your site, then sell DBpro (refer) and collect some commission. The Game Creators still ship and handle the order, you just the referred the buyer.

Additionally, would it be legal to make 3d models for people on request, and then charge them for it?
"

Of course...

Kevin Picone
Play Basic - Visible Worlds - Kyruss II
[url]www.underwaredesign.com[/url]
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 18:43
Quote: "Thankyou Mr Blair. I can't wait for the next election so I can tell you how I feel..."

I had a limited company until Mr Blair came to Power. Then he introduced IR35 (opposed by everyone, put it under the umbrella of the finance bill [no backing required] and passed it at 3am, after the disability bill, which the press had no interest in.)

Because of the vague way they did it, companies did not want to risk using contracted IT staff, as there may be tax implications, and the contracting market went from Boom to Bust. Now, UK companies use overseas companies and individuals.

Well done Mr Blair, you took away our IT industry and gave it to the rest of the world.

http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/ir35/

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 18:47
Move to the US and you won't get the monstrous taxes either

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 22:32
Quote: "somebody elses Media"

Make sure you get everything handwritten.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 22:35
Definatly so...

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 04:14:13
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 04:14:13