Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Dwarven Tales Website back up ( needs a rehaul tho ) old content

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 02:36 Edited at: 15th Jan 2004 02:37
Finally got the website back up using dbforums ( thanks lag) and Ill have to clean up the unusable media soon and fix the website to reflect the new changes but for now ive uploaded the older site.

http://www.dbforums.co.uk/indi/
Represent
Years of Service
User Offline
WOOOOWWW!!! That is awesome! Where is the download link! I want it NOW! Great job! And nice site too.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 02:52
I dont think there is a demo. Indi had a huge setback requiring all media to be redone by himself.

Great to see the website back up Indi

RPGamer

We need help! Email us! join@eternaldestinyonline.com
Represent
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I dont think there is a demo. Indi had a huge setback requiring all media to be redone by himself."

Ohh man...... I really wanted a demo or something that game looked great.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 03:01 Edited at: 15th Jan 2004 03:06
RPGamer is correct. The 3d guy who worked on Axes of Exil was working on my game as well but I got sick and tired of waiting for stuff and there were always problems.

Anyway Im doing it all myself at the moment and so I can't use some of those media elements except for all the WorldOBjects and mazes and 2d which will be kept in game.

There was a demo of version 1 ages ago but I only let family and the creators of the media play it. What will be released is version 2 since the game has also transfered from classic to professional.
Represent
Years of Service
User Offline
That game kinda` reminded me of Axes of Evil. The main characters from you game and AOE looked similiar.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 03:20
yes thats correct, that artist is called Ipakagun.
The only input I had with Axes of Evil was the Title graphic and a speech bubble.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 04:18
Glad you've got your site up again indi . Time hasn't made your game look any less cool.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 06:37
Quote: "RPGamer is correct. The 3d guy who worked on Axes of Exil was working on my game as well but I got sick and tired of waiting for stuff and there were always problems. "

Hmm... I thought he was using an illegal version of 3ds Max or something and that's why you didn't want to use the models. Maybe it was someone else though.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 07:48
thats right as well exeat, he was using warez, I was trying to prevent any more bad karma by dragging the story along.
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 08:15
Mmm...pretty.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 09:28
Oh sorry, err... feel free to delete my post then.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 09:57
dont worry its ok.
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 10:17
another db game that looks awesome, how many years in teh making now hehe nah keep up the work indi, top notch.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 10:28
if DBP didnt have a few quirks Id be happy to forge ahead.

I started in DBC and had to wait for a complete language change and thats no small feat.

The typed arrays go hand in hand with the role playing multiples of things and I could not have gotten so far without it.

Ive ditched a modeller and scrapped a maths guy and worked in between doing blocks of work without much help from anyone, Im happy with the amount of work I have in the Development DVD but DBP needs a little more tweaks to start putting all the tests together to form the game.

MMORPG dreams are realised as pipe ones for now but multiplayer is still on the cards and the editors get better each time i sit down and play them, 3d 2d and code are all my work except for the music but im ok with that.

Amazed Ive stuck with it this far and amazed how much I have learned regarding "doing it yourself". If all else fails I can still sell a Role Playing 3d Model Pack for twice the amount of the game so go figure.
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 14:55
The models are still looking good David but if you dawdle any longer your terrain system is going to be old hat. I'd recommend coming right away from matrixes now else you will put much work into building a world using them that you'll want to change later.

Memblock meshes can be a bit fiddly to learn, i've still not managed to produce optimiseable meshes using them myself as it seems there is a vertex order for MultiRes in Max, but some form of mesh based landscape would definately improve the look and quality of your landscape to match the rest of your game.

I'm toying with the idea of producing an editor for my own system, would that interest you?

God created the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 17:15
Adr's recent expiriments with memblock terrains do look quite promising, hat off to kevil for blazing that trail for DBPers... you might want to look into that. Then again, who am I to talk, I haven't gotten any of that working myself

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 17:46
Yeah, Matrices should be banished from the land!

I think Indi will look into memblock terrains anyway - using matrices for R&D and level editing is still a good idea, but the benefits of vertice lighting and total mesh control are so huge. I actually sent Indi a memblock matrice and foliage demo, it's all based on Kevils source. I managed to learn it quite quickly, I was actually stunned when I got it working because I had such problems with terrains and matrices are just annoying and slow, real EUREKA moment when you run about your first memblock-matrice .

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 22:30
great stuff! i hadn't seem the protoype shots before, they look cool

GO TO THE ETERNAL DESTINY FORUMS!!! http://forums.eternaldestinyonline.com
Do it now!!!
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 00:15
You dont need to use the complexity of memblock terrains to achieve good effects with DBPro, particularly if you find them too complicated then dont worry about them.

I have been using 3D mesh tiles to great effect, it is very easy to do and allows for the use of LOD meshes. Landscapes created in this way look good and are so large they can easily make a game world too large to populate with interesting things.

To put that in perspective I would say Everquest has one of the largest game worlds of any computer game if not the largest and already I can produce a game world a few hundred times it's size... I wont release a game with that of course because I dont want to be the mug that sits there and puts interesting things all over it!

Really it is like making a 2D map all over again, except using 3D meshes as the tiles. Enhancements could include LOD as I have done, retexturing on the fly, and unlimited scenic objects. All without having to deal with the complexities of memblocks.

Here's some screenies of where I am at with mine at the moment. For the time being I am using your tree model from OIE Van-B, my first effort to model a tree hardly did the landscape justice so I used yours to work with

I also have dabbled with memblock meshes, I have one part developed that can recreate any part of Earth from USGS data, I just preffer this method myself because it is faster in runtime.

If you opt for the mesh-tile route there are a few things to consider.

1. You must have a common edge height on your tiles, therefor you may wish to have much larger tiles than I am using at the moment.

2. In order not to increase the seemline between the tiles you should place the next row of vertices in at the same or similar height so that the normals do not create a dark/light line along your terrain.

3. You can position the second row of vertices quite close to the outside edge to reduce the impact this has on your terrain altitudes.

4. Low contrast textures along the tile edge make a better seem.

5. Don't get carried away and make a terrain too large, of which I am guilty as charged.

Represent
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow. Nice matrixes.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 03:05
I take it you didn't read any of the above posts Transworld. They're not matrices, that's the whole point.

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 03:32
Yah errr, kinda suggesting 'alternatives' to matrices. Not that I think Indi really needs our help considering the quality of the game!

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 03:45
I am aware of the terrain methods used above as Van B has mentioned.

IVe been consulting mike regarding other matrice commands and I have a method which allows for a huge realm but with only a small amount of the matrice visible.

Everytime a new method comes along its a large rewrite of a lot of code. Twice as much as you think because of the editing. Ive decided recently to focus on monster creation until there is more stability in code methods for the landscape and or above ground world areas. The dungeon code is pretty much the same but thanks for the advice and direction to look into.

Im happy to keep building monsters in the mean time as code possabilites come online.
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 15:44
You at some time Dave you are going to have to actually finish this game !

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 03:57:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 03:57:55