Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / merlin's copyrighted?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
i dont get it- im making a merlin RPG but varius ppl are constantly reminding me to check copyright with disney... but why?

i i cant find any disney film/game to do with merlin so y does disney hav the copyright? and how the hell can u copyright a historical figure? disney never even invented him

www.tinnedhead.tk watch this space for the first ever calculator to show the working out. also look out for our first game- ww.exor-mk1.tk
Represent
Years of Service
User Offline
I know at www.bonus.com there is a copyrighted game called Merlin (great action/rpg).
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
You can't copyright the name Merlin so you are safe.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 16:49
The Disney film is The Sword in the Stone, it has Merlin in it, but that's all.

Then again, so does the awesome fantasy film Excalibur.

Cheers,

Rich

With our species on the edge of extermination,
with no prospect but a horrible death,
we actually played games.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 17:08
Uncopyrightable word so you're safe .

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 18:54
Just do an online trademark search--- case closed.

http://www.automatongames.com/
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 19:46
I bought and watched for the nth'time Excalibur last week-end,damnd good movie,recommendable to anyone.

Oh and don't worry,I'm 100% positive Merlin was NOT invented by Disney.

BlackBird thinks he owns the sky,
But he can't look me in the eye,
-Andy Bell
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 19:49
But if your game is about a wizard called Merlin who lives in medieval times, and has a big breakfast table, you could have problems.

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Not really, Merlin is such an old story that the copyright would not apply.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 20:10
Yeah probably the same as if you used "Homère's" famous stories,even his existance has been questionned several times.

-Andy Bell
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 00:37
"As an American film producer I/we/the undersigned hold the copyright on all historical events and figures so that they may be portrayed in a way which makes my fellow Americans smell of roses, k thx.

Mr. Walt Disney & Mr. Steven Spielberg"

God created the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
Dr OcCuLt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 00:54
The name Merlin and the most of the king Ather leganeds were made up by monks in wales in about 750 AD. so thay may have the copyright but thay been dead over 1200 years

there are thing you can`t copyright. this is one

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 06:07
in australia that word is in the public domain meaning the original author has been dead for at least 50 years and free to use by anyone.
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 14:54
Yep in here too,at least for the music but I think Disney's gone mad about it andd made it that they will last for a hundred years or so.

-Andy Bell
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 15:47 Edited at: 16th Jan 2004 15:52
Disney can't change the law, Disney can't copyright something that isn't theirs, most Disney stories are not theirs to copyright. Sleeping beauty, and Snow White are not even theirs.

Pincho.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 15:53
Quote: "As an American film producer I/we/the undersigned hold the copyright on all historical events and figures so that they may be portrayed in a way which makes my fellow Americans smell of roses, k thx"

Yes, like winning WW2 single-handed in nearly every film they make.

It's much safer to be non-American, after all every disaster known to man, and some unknown, happen in America, including but not limited to Towering Infernos, Earthquakes, Aliens, Meteors, Tsunamis, Closet Acid-bath murderers, Werewolves, Vampires and all Unexplainable Phenomena.

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 15:57
-Yes, like winning WW2 single-handed in nearly every film they make.

What's so wrong about heroism??Aren't most games just like that?
I mean it's not like the history books claimed it.

Everyone knows the Us wouldn't have lasted a minute in "Normandie" if they didn't send 3/4 of the canadian/quebec soldiers out there.

-Andy Bell
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 16:02
Anyways back on topic

I would personally like to see a list of NON-Copyrightable/Copyrighted "Musics" so anyone could use them in their games...Preferably classical music as it can fit in nearly every context.

-Andy Bell
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 16:37
Quote: "Everyone knows the Us wouldn't have lasted a minute in "Normandie" if they didn't send 3/4 of the canadian/quebec soldiers out there."

During the first war Canadian soldiers time and time again proved that when it came to assaults they not only had what it took, but that they had the tenacity to charge head first into machine gun nests and come out the other side victorious. In the second war their reputation was matched by their actions again.

There must be something in the genes of Canadians that makes them the ideal choice for absolutely insane suicide charges. It makes me shudder to think they also produced Celine Dion.

However your statement is incorrect because Canadian forces where part of ANZAC and consequently fought alongside British soldiers, not American. And damn glad we where to have them there too!

The Americans took a heavy toll on D-Day, you can argue all you like whether it was because they had the toughest beaches or whether it
was because they made a poor assault, that doesnt matter. The fact is their sacrifice was huge, and for the men on the ground to be surrounded by so much slaughter and still wrestle the strategic objectives out of a potential disaster took courage in the face of such horror. We can mock the Yanks for their take on history, but no-one can deny they made a valued and important contribution to the war in Europe, it would just be nice if just once Hollywood recognised that we where there too!

Dr OcCuLt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 16:40
Quote: "What's so wrong about heroism??"

this is the point that makes no-Americans so mad. yes there were Americans hero how died in WW-2 but so did lots of soldier from Britain, France, Poland, Russian, India, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Norway, China so it do`s a grate dis-horen to think that it was just the Americans who are heroism.

Anyways back on topic
Quote: "I would personally like to see a list of NON-Copyrightable/Copyrighted "Musics""

any thing made be for 1929 so that mosty classc muisc and some jazz.

p.s. read a real history books.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 16:52 Edited at: 16th Jan 2004 16:53
Quote: "It makes me shudder to think they also produced Celine Dion."

Me too,why the hell do people buy her records always was a mistery to me.

Quote: "p.s. read a real history books"

Read...Most possibly long before you were even born,I live in Quebec,Canada BTW so you can't possibly use this on me as our history books are/were from ENGLAND back then ROFL.

Anyways,all that political mumbo jumbo aside,You say that any song before 1929 is uncopyrighted?

-Andy Bell
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 17:09 Edited at: 16th Jan 2004 18:00
Quote: "However your statement is incorrect because Canadian forces where part of ANZAC and consequently fought alongside British soldiers, not American. And damn glad we where to have them there too! "

Yes but what I meant is that the of 24K canadian troups sent out there,we had 18,000 casualties just to get our hands on this little part to land on.

My Grand father was there,plus D-Day has been prepared in Quebec city,we got all the archives and journal accesible to the population for viewing.

edit:Also note that it was an unfair statement,I'm sorry.

-Andy Bell
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 20:07
Quote: "any thing made be for 1929 so that mosty classc muisc and some jazz."

There is possibly some confusion here, although compositions may expire their copyrights a contemporary recording can be made with a fresh copyright. It is possible for instance, for the London Symphony Orchestra to record a Mozart sonata and for that recording to be copyrighted, what isn't copyrighted is Mozarts composition so the LSO would not have to pay a license to play the piece, although if they bought the piece in book form they would have to respect the copyright of the book.

F'd up world isn't it

Quote: "Yes but what I meant is that the of 24K canadian troups sent out there,we had 18,000 casualties just to get our hands on this little part to land on."

F'd up world isn't it.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 20:11
'Yes, like winning WW2 single-handed in nearly every film they make.'

And every other country makes their men be the true heroes who really won the war-- you just see more US films about it because we have a larger industry. And if you'll actually pay attention, a good deal of those films do not give credit to only US troops for the heroic deeds they center on.

America gets pointed out for a lot of crap that every single country in the world is or would be guilty of, but since we're bigger, we get the blame 90% of the time

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 20:41
Quote: "America gets pointed out for a lot of crap that every single country in the world is or would be guilty of, but since we're bigger, we get the blame 90% of the time"

Not the biggest, but you sort of have a point:

Actually the largest film industry is in India, and lets look at India's war record from the second world war.

Declared war on Germany soon after Great Britain. The 4th and 5th Indian Divisions fought against heavy odds in Africa and achieved sucess beyong their numbers and remained part of the African war right up until Rommel was eventually expunged. Then Indian armies fought mostly without credit in the liberation of Europe alongside British forces.

Their massive film industry, the worlds largest, does them a total injustice by not bragging about it at all and as far as I am aware it has never miss-interpreted events of the war.

Now whilst I agree with some of what you are saying Mouse I think this perhaps throws a little light on the cultural divide between America and Europe/Asia as I feel that there is a definite and distinct difference in the way America promotes itself (U571 / Memphis Belle etc) in film & pop culture and the way European & Asian countries go about the same thing (History Channel - with stuffy 'English Gentleman' commentary).

However, just what is in that History Channel documentary?

One of the most climatic and desperate moments of World War 2 is the Battle of Britain. Germany was just 1 days bombing away from total victory in the war of Europe. That would have been it, air supremacy would have been achieved by the Luftwaffe and Operation Sealion could commense (I actually feel Operation Sealion would have failed but that is a seperate issue).

We'd all be walking around with our right arm raised but in the end we won, what is interesting about this is that although Great Britain triumphed, history is written by the victor:

We know what prompted the Luftwaffe to switch strategic targets from airfields to London, it was Bomber Commands raid on Berlin the night before. History tells us that the RAF launched that raid in response to stray bombs landing on London - allegedly a German bomber crew now credited with "mistakenly" dropping bombs on London's civilian population.

Did that really happen? If it did than does a single instance of bombs scoring "collateral damage" justify a full strength bombing blitz in retaliation? If that is true surely Baghdad deserves some pay pack?

So on this point Mouse, you are right and wrong. History is written by the victor, but what annoys the rest of the world is American propaganda often forgets that they where not victorious alone.

Quote: "And every other country makes their men be the true heroes who really won the war"

In this I have to agree, it does my national pride a world of good to think about how Operation Torch was used as a glorification of American involvement in the war when the blood spilt was British & ANZAC, but in reality I have to cede that without American support the war would never have been won. A dead matyr is only good whilst the cause is alive.

Quote: "And if you'll actually pay attention, a good deal of those films do not give credit to only US troops for the heroic deeds they center on."

A briefly displayed text disclaimer after or before a botched dramatisation of history begins is hardly doing justice to the 50 million soldiers and 30 million civilians who died in the Second World War.

In conclusion I feel that American propaganda does do an injustice to history that it could easily avoid doing, but I cede that it is only natural for them to do so.

Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
<<yawn>>history lessons... <<looks at andys post>>> ill read it later...

www.tinnedhead.tk watch this space for the first ever calculator to show the working out. also look out for our first game- ww.exor-mk1.tk
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2004 02:39
All propaganda does injustice to history. It's advertizing, which in and of itself is virtually never acurate or true. I do not believe that any country is any great amount more or less honest than the US anything government-driven, but it is true that bloated industries-- which we are certainly full of over here-- are far more ruthless in their policies and less respectful of the truth.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2004 17:26
There's a film coming out starring Tom Cruise and directed by Michael Mann about an American pilot who fought in the Battle of Britain. No doubt it will conviently forget that the real guy made no kills.

You can just hear the producers - "No kills, eh?.... how about, he beats the entire luffewafa single handedly in a crappy plane that those bastard stuck-up British twits would only let him fly - HIGH FIVE!!!"

In reality Cruise would get thrown out before he started for being too short.

Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
hehe... what about that enigma film... where it was a US sub that captured it... now remember hu it was in real life...

bah! WWII is the most stupid thing to talk about ever... too many ppl look at it the rong way... i wont explain why... it'd make me unpopular

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Well films can change some truths. Look at Forest Gump! Or was that true???

Pincho.

MikeyP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2004 23:42
I don't believe you can copyright a charecter from History (Even if he is a Legend/Myth )

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 05:31:05
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 05:31:05