Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Donnie Darko

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 02:36
WOW ...
who has seen this film? If you havent, hire it and enjoy!!

Lol, it is the most twisted film I have ever witnessed!!

I got best and fairest for soccer WHOOHOOO!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 02:38
I do get tired of depraved, vapid films getting rave reviews just because they're 'different'

Btw how do you 'hire' a film

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 02:48
i think it's aussie for 'rent'

a
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 02:54 Edited at: 16th Jan 2004 02:55
Yeah, it's quite an interesting movie and I quite liked it. Different is good, it's a fresh change from all the actions in the world. I especially liked Gary Jules' cover of Mad World. Much better then the Tears For Fears version.

Oh, yes and 'hire' means 'rent' or 'borrow', like what you do with a book but in a video store.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 06:00
Its a great f***ing movie, I own it.
I bet Mouse likes movies like 2 fast 2 furious and biker boys. Woot, vin diesel!

"eureka" - Archimedes
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 06:05
wait till you get what "Rooting for the team" means in australia ROTFLOL
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 06:20
'I bet Mouse likes movies like 2 fast 2 furious and biker boys. Woot, vin diesel!'

Yawn

Again proving that almost everyone thinks in extremes, particularly the non-conformists...

'wait till you get what "Rooting for the team" means in australia'

That I know

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 07:22
Quote: "wait till you get what "Rooting for the team" means in australia "

lmao, yes indeed.

feiting
Years of Service
User Offline
I loved this movie.
And Lain...

The only guy I know that hated Lain, still loved transformers. He's 19 btw.

Donnie Darko and Linkin' Park... I think they have a similar message.

He who does not take the assassin job, will get killed by one who does.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 11:02
donnie darko = good
linkin' park = bad

And whats wrong with transformers?

Hey Mouse, what movies do you consider good? As a fellow member of this site, it should be safe to assume that you're a computer nerd on some level. And with that assumption, I can assume you like Hackers. A kind of cheezy movie I'll admit, but any computer nerd should find it enjoyable to watch.

"eureka" - Archimedes
DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 11:29
I get Donnie Darko twice for Chrimbo, on DVD off two different people. It's also the film i went to see when i first met my Girlfriend. I like the film. We say Hire and Rent over here, it depends on where you go. Maybe that'sjust for our area of Scotland though. -Dave

Your soul...it tastes like chicken

Official Website Coming Soon
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 13:56
God Hackers was a stupid movie, since when did hacking involve flying around a virtual 3d world?

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 14:24
lol, donnie darko is the only movie of its kind that i have seen and i must say it has quite influenced my own films since seeing it. I'm into films that are really moving, ie, AI and Anna and the King(the good version with jodie foster).

Mouse, what kind of films do you like? To all concerned, i hated all the XXX/2fast2furious/MI:2 kind of films...just utter boring nonsense

regards
greenlig

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 14:51 Edited at: 16th Jan 2004 14:52
Hi "Boss"

Why are you WEARING THIS STUPID HUMAN COSTUME?

Yah,I got the DVD,my first buy as a dvd.

Have you seen the Website,I was so interested in the movie when I first rented it,I went over the net and typed donniedarko.com and it popped to me

BlackBird thinks he owns the sky,
But he can't look me in the eye,
-Andy Bell
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 19:38
'And with that assumption, I can assume you like Hackers. A kind of cheezy movie I'll admit, but any computer nerd should find it enjoyable to watch.'

You've got to be f-ing kidding me... which you are, but anyways, I'm not rising for the bait. No, I don't like that pathetic waste of film time. It's down there with 'the net'.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 19:50
Hackers was only good for Angelina. That's it. Nothing else.

http://www.automatongames.com/
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 20:11
I don't think she acted that well in it, actually. Or looked too great. But each to their own.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 20:19
Mouse - I'm the 3rd guy that's asked this--- what movies did you like?

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 20:25
Oh, dear, do I have to list them all ?

I generally enjoy good fantasy flicks-- rare as they are-- though I'm something of a bookie with LOTR and wish they had done several parts differently. Action movies I enjoy, if they're well done, which is somewhat hard to find. I think that scraps all the movies you mentioned, greenlig. X and X2 were very enjoyable however. I'm picky about movie length, pacing, and dialogue, which may be one of the reasons I tend to dislike critically acclaimed 'alternate' films. Well, aside from the fact that I generally find them as vapid as your average chick flick or piece of goth 'poetry'.

ZomBfied
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow I liked it too, but I didn't really get some of the plot. Patrick Swayze as a Self-Help motivational closet pedophile! I love it. And seeing people's divergent paths... very cool. I'll have to watch it again. The music was brilliant...ir I mean the way they used it was brilliant.

Linkin Park = OK. Barely. If they would take out the token simi-rap parts it would be good. Plus if some of their songs sounded different from others, that would be cool too.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 21:35
Mouse, surely you realise that Donnie Darko is a far deeper and better made film than the ones you mentioned. I don't necessary mean plot wise, I mean in its use of metaphors, symbolism etc. X2 was pretty enjoyable, yes, but it contains precisely none of the masterful film-making present throughout Donnie Darko. One of the best films of the last decade.

kenmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 21:57 Edited at: 27th Jun 2012 06:15
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 22:01
A film.

It's a sort of, sci-fi/teen flick. People say that it's really "dark" and "twisted". It isn't particularly.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 23:12
'Mouse, surely you realise that Donnie Darko is a far deeper and better made film than the ones you mentioned. I don't necessary mean plot wise, I mean in its use of metaphors, symbolism etc. X2 was pretty enjoyable, yes, but it contains precisely none of the masterful film-making present throughout Donnie Darko. One of the best films of the last decade.'

Deeper? Yes. Does this make it better? Higher quality? No. X2 may be somewhat shallow, but it's quality all the way through. Films like Donnie Darko are a nonsensical mush held together by the exterior of a masterpiece, and this shell is only strengthened by the rabid following most of its type have, baselessly insisiting that anyone who dosen't think it's the most brilliant thing since Citizen Kane-- for whatever reasons they may have-- are lackwits. As with almost all films of its ilk, it loses itself in repetetive symbolism and clunky dialogue, and the pacing is-- again typically-- godawful. Masterful film-making? Oh please... just a handful of unrelated ideas and characters cobbled together into some semblance of cinema from a fever dream.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2004 00:09
Quote: "nonsensical mush"

Say what you want of it - most of which is your opinion - your cannot say that it is nonesensical. It makes complete sense, in fact is probably the most complete and coherent film I've ever seen.

How is the pacing godawful?

There is a reason why people insist that this is one of the best films ever, they didn't just pick a film randomly and decide to pronounce it as the new Kane. Their claims are not "baseless" - they are based on startling, refreshing, thought-provoking film-making. But, if you think you know better than every film-of-the-year award for 2002 I've seen, then who am I to complain?

kenmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2004 00:44 Edited at: 27th Jun 2012 06:16
deleted
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2004 01:41 Edited at: 17th Jan 2004 01:46
Darko was dissapointing. May have been differentish, but that doesn't make it interesting. For me anyhows. Can see how I would have liked this more about 10 years or so ago.

Personally I would recommend Memento and Adaptation (check out information on his brother, is quite impressive) for "different" movies. Both amazingly superior. In my humble opinion. And check out the Memento website, tis weird. Makes Kill Bill's seem normal and stuff.

Oh, and Hackers? God what a load of rubbish. Makes Independance Day seem like the dogs nads for programmers that one. God, another pile of trash. Oh, and Jolie? Watch Gia. You can avoid watching that garbage Tomb Raider 2 film for more Jolie goodness, if you know what I mean. Plus you can avoid the second half Tom-Hanks oscar winning scenes as there's nothing of interest there. If you know what I mean

Cheers

Ps. Transformers were cool man. Those other Gobot rubbish robot series can rot in hell! But not Zods obviously.... erm.. Ah. Zoids. Yep. Sleep shall come soon to the kingdom of Fnarr... and blood will rain down in the valley of Snurr... Hmmm, been a while since I played LOM...

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2004 03:04
Quote: "It's down there with 'the net'"

I tried hacking websites, but I could never find the PI symbol in the bottom right hand side of pages....

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2004 03:06
I think donnie darko was paced excellently. I study films as a subject, and i make my own as well, and donnie darko has some of the best dialogue, editing, and music i have ever seen. I think the different aspect of the film appealed to me, and all the unanswered bits really got me hooked. lol, the website is brilliant in that regard, it shows a lot of stuff

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2004 03:36
Hackers is no where near an accurate image of real hacking. It's just a fun movie. Personally, I'd rather watch Hackers over LOTR. Momento was a great movie. Salton Sea was pretty good too. Better than I expected it to be anyway. Boondock Saints is another great film. I'm a little concerned about its sequel though.

Mouse, what exactly about donnie darko didn't you like?

"eureka" - Archimedes
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2004 03:37
'It's just a fun movie.'

Like nailing your feet to the floor with red hot irons and releasing a pack of hungry fire ants onto them is?

'I'd rather watch Hackers over LOTR.'

'Mouse, what exactly about donnie darko didn't you like?'

I've already said! Read my posts!

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2004 04:05
Quote: "'I'd rather watch Hackers over LOTR.'

"

I second that smilie.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2004 10:01 Edited at: 17th Jan 2004 10:02
Memento is also amazing, (hey, it's basically British ), but it's completely different to Donnie Darko and Adaptaion.

Mouse, I'm afraid you're fighting a losing battle saying that X2 is better than Donnie Darko. Of course, this is mainly opinion but it is not entirely - in film, there are things you know for sure, advanced cinematic techniques that are in Donnie Darko and simply aren't in X2. Donnie Darko is so multi-layered and multi-angled, it uses film as an art form so powerfully that even if it's not your cup of tea you should still be able to realise it is a masterpiece and, in terms of genius simply beats the blue paint out of X2 or any other super-slick blockbuster.

It's like comparing Shakespeare with Tom Clancy - lots of people who read Shakespeare think

Quote: "Who removed all the vowels?"

it is not a lot of people's cup of tea: it is still genius and deserves to be recognises as it.

- City of God *
- Amores Perros *
- Following

There "different" - * means in foreign language

- Memento
- Fight Club
- The Usual Suspects

P.S. Spot the Memento quote

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2004 21:11 Edited at: 17th Jan 2004 21:11
'Donnie Darko is so multi-layered and multi-angled, it uses film as an art form so powerfully that even if it's not your cup of tea you should still be able to realise it is a masterpiece and, in terms of genius simply beats the blue paint out of X2 or any other super-slick blockbuster.'

No, it's really not.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2004 21:35
Okaaaayyy.... so that's all you can come up with? Do you have any examples of what you hate about it? What repetitive symbolism did you see and dislike?

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2004 05:03
Quote: "Memento is also amazing, (hey, it's basically British ), but it's completely different to Donnie Darko and Adaptaion"

Didn't say they were. Just that they were all "different" films. Adaptation is better when you look some stuff up. Esp. about his brother. The DVD even has his filmography (look it up. it makes sense).

Good call on Fight Club BTW. Excellent movie. Far better than the overhyped Sixth Sense (actually preferred Unbreakable for it's ending).

I also amazingly quite liked The Truman Show (good old Jim can grate a little). Talking of which, who watched Dumb and Dumberer and almost cried at how crap it was compared to the original masterpiece? Or even compared to a small cottage in Devon? (It is really really REALLY crap!!!)

Back to Darko though; I just thought it was taking itself too seriously. Right up it's own arse basically. And essentially I feel I like to watch a film without needing to slash my wrists half way through. You don't have to take on the entire Russian army to make me like a film, but a little less mindless staring at nothing would have been nice. Almost french really. Without the car chases though obviously (watch Taxi and Taxi 2. Arf...) As I said before, back a decade or so I would have probably thought it was a work of art. But I was off my head a lot, in college (always helps), and thought our semi-concious poetry was the deepest thing around. Nowadays it reminded me of when I read the Rama books. Seemed like it was good at the end, then you looked back and realised nothing much really happened and you didn't actually like it that much. But you wanted to like it for some reason. Much like independance day. Except a lot happened in that film. All crap of course.

Cheers

Christ. 3am again. Must sleep. All blurry. Small tip : don't hire out Roger Dodger. Is really really boring. And if there is some hidden deepness, then I don't care, as I turned off mid-DVD. Damn, and I was going to read that Michael Moore book tonight....

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2004 05:16
Fight Club vs. Sixth Sense - You can't even compare the two movies as they are both so different! It's like saying "Cast Away was waaaayyy better than Who Framed Roger Rabbit". IF you had compared, say, The Others to the Sixth Sense, that would have made more sense.

I agree about X2 and how much it sucked. Someone gave me the DVD version for Christmas and I think I may use it for a coffee coaster, whaddayathink??

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2004 05:36
Quote: "actually preferred Unbreakable for it's ending"

Agreed. Unbreakable had a great ending and Samuel L. Jackson in particular played his character extremely well.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2004 05:39
Quote: "Fight Club vs. Sixth Sense "

I always think of them together because they both came out at a similar time, and both were very much talked about as "watch again" movies. In that respect they are very similar films. Sixth Sense and The Others were using essentially the same idea. Which isn't exactly original. Much preferred Haunted (James Herbet book, and not that great film), and Survivor (James Herbet again... hmmm) for similar ideas. Just quite a few years earlier. Fully expect a 1950's example from someone now.

Cheers

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2004 05:45
Unbreakable and Sixth Sense were both great, Fight Club was... interesting ...

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2004 11:29
You all have to buy Following, it's the zero budget debut of Christopher Nolan (Memento) and it's great. That's got a twist you won't see coming. It's in black & white and the film is grainy 16mm but the talent of the crew (almost all of who went onto Memento) shines through amazingly. For a bit of extra fun, count how many people in the credits have the surname 'Nolan'. Most of the cast are relations.

City of God is quite simply spellbinding cinema. Holy crap. Anyone who doesn't want to see it because it has subtitles doesn't deserve to see it - rent it now, you absolutely will not see a better film this year.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2004 13:25 Edited at: 18th Jan 2004 13:32
Unbreakable and sixth sense sucked horribly. sixth sense might have been a little better if they got rid of the little boy. I think you just decide to like all the stuff that noone else will. I just don't understand your taste in movies, mouse. fight club was good though.

"eureka" - Archimedes
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2004 13:52
Hrrrm...i can see i need to hire out about 6 films now!!

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2004 14:15
Just make sure you see City of God.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 05:47:40
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 05:47:40