Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / anyone know if...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
There is a plug0in that allows you to use visual basic programming? If not does anyone know of a site that has a guide that tels you what the visual basic commands would be in dark basic?
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2004 15:49 Edited at: 17th Jan 2004 15:51
You can't change DarkBasic into VisualBasic with a plugin.
What are you trying to do? The closes DBPro gets to VisualBasic
is probably the BlueGUI plugin that lets you create menus and
stuff.
http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=23862&b=1

Why do programmers always mix up Christmas and Halloween?
Because DEC 25 = OCT 31
Zenkai
Years of Service
User Offline
well what I was trying to do is I found this source code (that's written in vb) and I'm thinking of trying to re-code it to work on Dark basic hence the reason for a site that shows a vb to db type tutorial listing what the vb code would be in DB (like both db and vb both have if, etc.)
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2004 16:11 Edited at: 17th Jan 2004 16:12
lets see a link to the vb stuff or the code itself. Is it a game? 2d? 3d? ? I am curious as to what you found made in vb that you would like to port over to dbp. I am a vb 6/.net programmer and unless they were using TrueVision 3D or DX SDK 9 (for managed code) I can't imagine anything all that impressive (as far as a game) being done in any flavour of VB. Some more info please.

-RUST-

Zenkai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2004 16:15 Edited at: 17th Jan 2004 16:16
ok here's the site: www.miragesource.com just go to downloads, there's two versions of the server and client source, 3.0.3 which is the one I use and 3.0.7 which has a bug with the databases from what I've read. (and for anyone who recognizes the name mirage online, that's the source code to it) and what it is, is basically a 2D MMORPG and when I mean MMORPG I mean full MMORPG! and now that the source is released I wanted to rescript version 3.0.3 into Darkbasic.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2004 16:55
well, I take back what I said...that's very impressive for a vb6 entry. Having scanned thru the code it is neat conscise and very well written. They are using DX7 for graphics, TCP/IP server client com via winsock, and direct win32API calls for audio. I haven't played the game but yes this is all possible in dbp, in fact dbp is a more friendly environment for this type of stuff compared to vb. I could have (should have) just answered "yes it's possible" to your original question "no not with a plugin" but "yes, this game can be re-written for dbp" Just so you know it can't be simply "ported over" you will need to do a full rewrite in dbp - so that would entail you understanding exactly what's happening in the vb6 version. Instead of trying to interpret code or whatever, just jot down some notes about aspects of the game and then try and recreate it in dbp. The only thing I would think vb "has over" dbp for a game would be it's OOP factor, but that's just IMHO, some here would strongly disagree and consider OOPrograming to be cumbersome and twisted. They didn't use not 1 Class in the client project, not one. Just 1000 forms and 12 or so code modules - very interesting. I am a pro vb coder and would never have considered a game like this in vb6 especially. Like I said I haven't played it so it might be a piece of horse-sh*t but that remains to be seen. I encourage any other vb coders here to give the source a look and post their opinions here.

Good luck
James

-RUST-

Zenkai
Years of Service
User Offline
well that helps reasure my idea of recoding to work in DB, thanks cattlerustler I really appreciate it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 15:47:15
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 15:47:15