Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Help with Sky

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi.

Can someone help me to make a good great sky?

i all ready try to use a big shpere and give it a negative dimensions and then apply a texture. The source of the texture it´s a great good picture of night with stars, but in the sphere look very band.

other thing, i tried to make the sphere biger, but cant see some part of the sphere or all of it.

another thing, can i make a shiny sun and move it like mornning, noon? but not just the sun, i want something like the new games, when the camere points to the sun it makes a very good efect, like a real camera in front of the sun.

and i think tasts all

thanks

p.d. sorry about my english.

felwys

felwys
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2004 04:09
Hi Felwys,
I'm not an expert at skies, but to make the texture look better, try using a skybox instead of a skysphere. You can use the MAKE OBJECT BOX, or MAKE OBJECT CUBE, it doesn't really matter.
The reason you can't see the sphere when it gets bigger is because it's out of the camera's range. To solve this problem just use

SET CAMERA RANGE <big_range_number>

The default range is 5000.

To make the sun go from morning, noon, evening, night, and all that you can use an animation. I'm not quite sure about loading an avi or gif directly onto the object, but you could also take it apart and have an animation algorithm.
I don't know about the sun-in-the-lens effect, but no doubt one of the smarter guys around here will come and help you out.

Crazy Donuts

Juvenile Industries
Current Project: KillZone(FPS)
Soon to come:An rts, and a snowball fight game
Felwys
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks

but, if a move my caracter over a terrain, i have to move the sky too?

felwys
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2004 02:48
Yes, you should position the sphere or box at the players position every time you move, otherwise you will eventually bump into the sky!

It also gives a greater sense of depth to the game.

Boo!
Felwys
Years of Service
User Offline
oohhh i see, thanks a lot

i really apreciate

thanks.

but a still have a cuestion about lens effect, anyone can help me?

felwys
Felwys
Years of Service
User Offline
jejeje, another question, it's about putting clouds and move them can you help me..?

felwys
Darkflame
Years of Service
User Offline
The lens effect is called "lens flare"...theres no automatic way to do it, but its fairly simple.

Do you know how to make and move 2D sprites?
You effectively have to plot nice semi-transparent circles on a line between the sun and the screens center point.
(in 2D screen co-ordinates).

If the sprites have a nice texture (semi-transparent), this should work.

Of course, it would be even nicer if sprites "added" the texture values to the background. ("Addative effect", even GBA games use it).
However, it dosnt look like DBP supports addative effects.
And last time I asked here no one had a clue what i was talking about...

"The man who says it cannot be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." ~ Elbert Hubbard
Darkflame
Years of Service
User Offline
The easiest way to move clouds is to scroll a texture accross your skybox. (or sphere).

Look up the commands, they are fairly simple.
("Scroll texture", or something like that)

"The man who says it cannot be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." ~ Elbert Hubbard
Felwys
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks

let me try..

felwys
Lord Helmet
Years of Service
User Offline
Your skybox/sphere isn't suposed to be giant, that will make your program run slower and prevent you from setting a closer cull distance which improves preformance.

create a very small box/sphere and center it on the camera, then set the skybox/sphere to draw to the backround, (the command can be found under basic 3d in the help menus command help) this puts the sky anywhere that you don't see anything else.

I think the 3d shooter tutoriel in DBpros help menu uses this type of sky.
Felwys
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks a lot

felwys

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 18:19:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 18:19:27