Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / How to make Crimson Skies like plane movement?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2004 07:40
Can someone help me out on making a plane that flys in 3rd person, and has collisions like the game Crimson Skies? If you help me out on this part, I will personally put you into the beta testing group and put you in the credits. Please I need your help.

.:Leader of BoX-Softare Gaming Company:.
Ub3rS0ldAt Patriot of War
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2004 21:16
Come on. There has to be someone who can help me make this.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2004 21:25
Use the relative object movement commands.

Turn left/right for yaw, pitch up/down for pitch, roll left/right for roll, and move object for forward movement.

For collisions, I use the NGC DLL. I use my own gravity logic since NGC's is more like arcade gravity. [Not a flaw, just a differnt style.]

Things get much more complicated when you introduce aerodynamics, but you can probably fake it for arcade flight like Crimson Skies.

Finally, set camera to follow is a neat command for 3rd person cameras.
--
TAZ

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2004 22:28 Edited at: 19th Jan 2004 22:32
By any chance would you like to help out with this game. Myself, the BoX-Software team are working on a game called "Attack Force Armada". Its sorta like crimson skies, except there are many new enviroments, and will be much more fun to play. It will also have the player play in First Person in some segments of the game. So are you interested, you seem like a good person.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2004 00:10
Thanks for the offer, but I have too many projects already (on top of being a forum busy body.) Please keep everyone up to speed on the project as it developes. Crimson Skies is one of me favorite games. I'm creating some jet fighters for Game Beavers and I plan to add some funky airplanes ala CS later on. So, if you need some resources it might be worth checking into around spring time.
--
TAZ

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2004 00:14 Edited at: 20th Jan 2004 00:34
Ok, this is what I had coded so far.

Now when I press the leftkey, and the camera turns, I made it so that the plane turns too, but how do I make it so that when I press the leftkey, the camera follows the plane's direction, kinda like Crimson Skies?

PS: I add you into my Yahoo buddy list. We can talk there if you like.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2004 00:41 Edited at: 20th Jan 2004 04:42
Check out the set camera to follow command it the help file. Us that and then point camera to follow and stay locked on the plane.
--
TAZ

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2004 01:58 Edited at: 20th Jan 2004 02:08
How does it follow the plane if it is only a x,y,z coordinant? Is there like an example on how to attempt this?

PS: I forgot to mention that I am an amatuer and am very new to this. So I need examples to get things right.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2004 04:47 Edited at: 20th Jan 2004 04:50
Read the manual, use the help files. These are your friends (most of the time.) Fire up the editor and browse the help section often.

SET CAMERA TO FOLLOW
This command automatically controls the camera to provide a tracking system. By providing the 3D world
coordinate of the entity you wish to track, and some camera data, your camera will automatically update
its current position each time this command is called. The X, Y, Z and Angle values provide the coordinate
to track. The Distance value specifies the required distance between the coordinate and the camera. The
Height value specifies the required height of the camera in 3D space. The Smooth value specifies the level
of smoothing required for the camera, where a value of 1.0 is no smoothing and a value of 100.0 is lots of
smoothing. The Collision value is a special flag that allows the camera to detect whether it is hitting any of
the static collision boxes and if set to one will automatically adjust so as not to enter these collidable
areas.

SYNTAX
SET CAMERA TO FOLLOW X, Y, Z, Angle, Distance, Height, Smooth, Collision
SET CAMERA TO FOLLOW Camera Number, X, Y, Z, Angle, Distance, Height, Smooth, Collision

---------

POINT CAMERA
This command will point the camera to a point in 3D space. The coordinates should be real numbers.

SYNTAX
POINT CAMERA X, Y, Z
POINT CAMERA Camera Number, X, Y, Z

---------

So...

--
TAZ

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2004 04:52
I finally finished the Crimson Skies Plane System. Soon I will release a flight tech demo for the game soon.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 17:58:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 17:58:55