Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / I HATE MY GAME!!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2004 18:19

well, yeah. I do. I'm working on a game with my brother, but the
general idea of the game sucks. We have a few 3D animals, so we
decided to make something like Priston Tale. The idea was this:
The setting would be some african place. You know, the kind of place where the discovery channel would film zebras and aligators and lions and stuff. So, you'd control a Lioness, Cheetah, That little rodent-dog thing, or an Eagle. The idea would be to attack AI animals (gazelles, Elefants, Rhinos, etc) or other players to raise level. What's the problem, you might ask? Theres NO point to it! Really, what's the fun of that? There has to be some incentive to go on, but, in this case, what is it??? I made a suggestion of turning it into something like black-and-white, where you'd have a pet and would take care of it. It would fight other player's pets and AI. Still quite point-less, but a little better. But no, little bro didn't like it. He hates Tamagochis...
So, he's out of ideas, I'm out of ideas, the game can't go on! (not like this anyway.)
There being a bunch of creative minds on this forum, I ask, can ANYONE come up with a decent plot/objective for my game? I don't want to stop it now. I have enough dead projects...

Why do programmers always mix up Christmas and Halloween?
Because DEC 25 = OCT 31
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2004 18:23
Make it like dino hunter. You're alone in a jungle-like area surrounded by wildlife, some aggressive some passive, and you hunt for trophies, but it's a very deadly enviorment.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2004 18:27 Edited at: 19th Jan 2004 18:27
Hey, I never concidered the thought of turning it into a first animal shooter. Me likes it... Though, I want some more opinions. Just as options.
Thanks for the fast reply. (I love the general section. )

Because DEC 25 = OCT 31
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2004 19:49 Edited at: 19th Jan 2004 19:53
how about a kinda pride game, you get a selection of lions, zebras, tigers etc, you start of with 1 and the aim of the game is to raise a kinda like pride or family and control the forest/jungle.

- you compete against other ai driven npc animals for food/teritory/superiority etc.
- you start off with a male, you have to find a female and mate, raise yor cubs or whatever.
- other enemy animals would attempt to like kill you, your cubs etc to stop your bloodline, take over your territory.
- you basically increase your territory, pride size and status as king of the jungle.

it would be an RTS game though, i don't see this happenin with 3rd or 1st person

when i walk... i walk alone... when i fight... i fight alone...
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2004 22:46
Your idea is right, I think you just haven't seen it is infront of you

Just as it is, your a lion & hunt the animals, have an ever increasing rate of hunger and thirst and try to stay alive as the animal population wears thin.

Include meens to hunt and track other animals such as footprints and visualisation of odours, then have the actual chase sequences where the herds evade you and run after spotting you.

Of course you also have to feed your pride and defend them, and as they grow larger they'll start to adventure out more often meening that you have to defend a larger area whilst hunting an ever dwindling food supply.

God created the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
Easily Confused
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2004 00:12
Hmmm, lets see...

Attack of the Giant Gerbils.
Horror of the Horny Hampsters.
Charge of the Bashing Badgers.
Revenge of the Rampaging Rabbits.
Plague of the Screwy Squirrels.
Earth vs The Elephants.
Indiana Jones and the fate of some endangered species somewhere in Asia.

Nah! Those are silly ideas

Programming anything is an art, and you can't rush art.
Unless your name is Bob Ross, then you can do it in thirty minutes.
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2004 01:09
lol, easily confused.
@Hexagear yeah, your idea does look better for an RTS. And it would probably be ALOT harder to program...
@Andy Igoe: If I'd made that, I'd probably call it "Sim Wild" or something. Kinda like a game with more action than babysitting.

Because DEC 25 = OCT 31
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
I hate your game too!

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2004 01:20
Just come and play PT with me

We need help! Email us! join@eternaldestinyonline.com
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2004 01:31 Edited at: 20th Jan 2004 02:47
hehe, Ok. I'll go check if I still have it installed...
I think I uninstalled it when my harddisk crashed. I got tired of it.
I'll go look for it anyway. *looks for Priston Stale*...

[edit] Found it. Re-installed it. Got stuck updating nProtect. I'll try again tomorrow.

Because DEC 25 = OCT 31
DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
why do you care what your brother thinks anyway?

athlon xp 2000+ | radeon 9500 pro 128mb | 512MB DDR | winXP pro | DBP 5.1b | B3D 1.85 | VC++ 6
predicted DBP P6 release date: March 28, 2004
DBP has made me bitter.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2004 13:53
Perhaps you could make a survival game, like choose a species then try to survive as long as possible. Then the player could choose the type of gameplay they want depending on the animal, like choosing a hunter could be about sniping animals and collecting trophies, or being a wildcat could be about stalking gazelles and trying to catch one for dinner. I reckon that you have a good game idea already, just pan it out as much as possible. Hunting games are incredibly popular, and nobody ever makes games where you can take the role of a wild animal. You could have a few missions for each animal, plus a huge terrain with a free roam mode, like a survival game type and a goal game type. I'm thinking that kids would love this, I know my son would.

Probably a good place to start would be the terrain engine, once you get that done you can start experimenting with camera angles. You could do cool stuff like change the camera FOV when running fast so that the view gives the impression of speed even more (a little like the aliens view in AVP). You could also alter the camera ranges and fogging to suit the particular animals eyesight, perhaps even use overlay sprites to deminish peripheral vision. For example an animal like a Lion might have limited peripheral vision, but really great direct vision and sense of smell. You could easily have a little prey smell sensor or radar thing, perhaps even have smell as a subtle particle effect or 3D sound (3D sound is a must, and it's so easy with DBPro, imagine being able to track something just by the sound of twigs snapping).

Hope you persue this, I'd love to maul a Gazelle with my rodent dog thing (could be a Tazmanian Devil/Prairie Dog).

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2004 14:46 Edited at: 20th Jan 2004 14:52
Quote: "why do you care what your brother thinks anyway?"

because he's the one doing the modeling. If he doesn't do it, then I
will have to make EVERYTHING myself. I'm busy enough programming.

@VanB: Yeah, I could do that too. Problem with simulating the animal's eyes is that most see shades of grey. Pretty nice idea. I think I'll make the player be a hunter first, and later on I'll program the animals...
I think I'll go with VanB's idea. It's a merge of the first suggestion with what I origionally had. Now for a name! What do I call this?

Because DEC 25 = OCT 31
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
king of the jungle

http://www.johnsgames.tk
Current Project: MYSTERIOUS WOODS
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I prefer AI type programs. The ones where the animals have to survive a realistic landscape, and serch for food, and mate. Not really anything for the user to do but watch. I still think it's interesting to watch without interacting though. You would usually have to create a new animal at the beginning. What he eats, how many legs, what his defences are, then let it run.

Pincho.

TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2004 23:38 Edited at: 21st Jan 2004 23:43
@Pricey: I'd probably get sued by the Lion King/Tarzan/Mogli/George of the jungle. Better not.

@Pincho: I don't think many people would play that for over 5 minutes. It's like a virtual zoo. Nothing to do

The project is coming along quite nicely:
The player system accepts up to 200 players (including AI and LAN), and the AI has the basic herding instinct ready. (All the animals group up with others of their same species.)

The world consits of islands, and each island's objects (trees, rocks, etc) are loaded according to their respective bitmaps. (It looks for a green dot on the image and puts a palm tree in the respective place, etc.) This makes it possible to create new levels totally in Paint Shop Pro, in under 30 minutes.

To change from one island to another, the player goes to a teleporter (like the goal in UT2K3) and types in that levels password. There will be secret levels, and the player gains passwords instead of trophies. That way there's more of an incentive to go shoot something.

Still, a good name would be nice. Right now, it's code named project "F.R.O.G." which means: "F.R.O.G Role-playing On-line Game". That code name was chosen long ago, before we'd thought much about it.

Because DEC 25 = OCT 31
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
i found an RPG once, u played a lion (called simba- maybe thats y the RPG was never released- [hint at disney sueing them]) and u started off a cub, u had to go round, hunt gazelle, drink, not get5 shot at by poachers, and blood came out everywhere, and when u killed a poacher u were awarded points... thi game was aimed at 3 yr olds...

www.tinnedhead.tk watch this space for the first ever calculator to show the working out. also look out for our first game- ww.exor-mk1.tk

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 05:34:22
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 05:34:22