Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Explosions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok i have about 20 jpg files each containing a bit of the explosion and each file gets larger and larger until the explosion is finished. But Id like to know how I would go about getting each one to texture onto a plain in sequence so that you see an explosion tada. Now hows it done or is there a little snippet or a function i can use.

[href]www.vapournet.com/~flyer[/href]
I am Me
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2004 16:56
Each of your images should be on a seperate plain, which you scale and move a certain amount each loop. After a couple loops (50or so i'd suggest) it should turn transparrent, and then maybe 10-20 loops later disappear. have each plain do this until the last one is removed, and you just made a 3d explosion.

in layman's terms please....
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2004 04:37
Here is a lower-poly way of doing it, more friendly to slower computers:

-Load all of your jpegs as images into your program.
-Create a ghosted plain and set object orientation zyx
-When there is an explosion, place the ghosted plain at that point, and apply the first texture image, and make sure to show the object.
-Every loop, point the plain at the camera (point object objectnum,camera position x(),camera position y(),camera position z()), and texture it with the next image (you will need a variable that keeps track of the texture currently on the explosion)
-When the frame of the explosion is at the highest, hide the object.

This is the method I used for my explosions in Firewall, but I have more than one that the program keeps track of, and I also added shockwaves, smoke, lights, and debris to make them look really cool.

Good Luck

Xander Moser of Bolt Software
Firewall: Your Computer's First Defense - Real Time Strategy game

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 18:17:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 18:17:55