Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Curvevalue based on loop speed...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2004 10:35
Just a little question that im sure has a simple answer. How do you curve a value, and keep it consistant no matter how fast/slow your program is running? In my program I calculate how long each loop takes and store it in looptime#. So I tryed...

x# = curvevalue(xdestination#,x#,curvespeed#/looptime#)

However x# always moves faster the faster the program is looping. What SHOULD my code look like?

Thanks in advance

All you need is zeal
Zeal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2004 04:10
Nobody knows?

All you need is zeal
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2004 04:59
i don't i had the same problem with the curvevalue command, so I stopped using it in my alienware project

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!
Zeal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2004 05:41
Perhaps there is no way to use curvevalue and keep it consistant regardless of fps. If thats the case, how are you supposed to have smooth movements? Without curvalue any game feels like crap when you start/stop with a sudden jerk.

All you need is zeal
Zeal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2004 00:37
Ill bet today is the day somebody shows me the light

All you need is zeal
Lord Helmet
Years of Service
User Offline
sync rate x/sync on

set x to whatever framerate you want, sync on causes the program to stop on the sync command to update the screen at that point, and no where else in te program.

most 3d shooters allow you to choose if you want it to sync on command.
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2004 09:27
that's not helpful, because although it limits the UPPER limit of the frame rate, it does nothing to help those with slower systems.

for example you set your sync rate to 50. people with fast computers can experience your game exactly as you intended, but imagine someone who'se computer can only run your program at 30fps. that's still a goot frame rate, but they will be experiencing a game running in "slow motion", because everything will me moving at 3/5 speed. that's why sync rate isn't a good idea- you need to use a timer() based system to make sure that even at 10fps, your game objects all move at the appropriate speed.

sorry for the long tangent, and unfortunately as I mentioned above, I have no idea how yo solve your problem

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 18:14:20
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 18:14:20