Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Donate me some cash please

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2004 20:34
I opened up a PayPal account to recive payments for TML and took the opurtunity to put a donation button on my site. I will keep it there until I actually start my company. Maybe a few bucks extra makes me work harder

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2004 20:37
Yep, it's the oldbies that get away with this sort of stuff...

DB generation: http://www.excaver.com/dbg
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Matrix Reformated
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2004 20:40
absolutely, if you have created something and people feel it's worth buying then that person has the right to sell/profit from their hard work, unlike some other "swindler trolls" out there.

-RUST-
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2004 20:55
What? Oldbies get away with that? Whoo! Everyone send me their cash/bonds/jewlery!

~I see one problem with your reasoning: The fact is that is a chicken~
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2004 20:59
No you have to be a good, established developer like Dead Glory before you get anything...

Exept that stupid database guy who asked people to fund his movie...

Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2004 21:03
Damn.. er.. how about this.. I'll become an established developer like dead glory if i get some cash...

~I see one problem with your reasoning: The fact is that is a chicken~
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2004 21:29
Well, donations have nothing to do with selling. I do get paid for TML but that's just pocket cash at the moment. I do have 1 published game, 1 game coming up and a forum coming up. I'm not hoping to get anything but I'm happy if I get something. $10 and I got a pizza, a Coke and extra bearnaise(sp?) sauce There are some that do make a living on donations because they made a good freeware game/tool. If anyone wants a donation button it's very easy with PayPal, if you got a website that is.

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2004 22:09
Hmm, maybe I should put one of these on the ED site when we finally get a demo out

RPGamer

We need help! Email us! join@eternaldestinyonline.com
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2004 22:10
You;ve got to get the demo out first though

For free Plug-ins, source and the DBPro Interface library for Visual C++ 6 and .NET
http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2004 22:14
Quote: "Yep, it's the oldbies that get away with this sort of stuff... "

lol, if CMC posted this...

"Nowadays more and more of our imports are coming from abroad" - George Bush

Formerly David89.
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Next thing we know Gizzi will be saying he's been developing for years and he helped develop Halo

Dead Glory, I haven't played the magic land, but it looks cool. Either way you deserve some donations, unlike someone else...

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2004 10:41
Banshee had a crisis last November when our bandwidth went through the roof with thousands more visitors to our site than normal we tried asking for donations to help with the bandwidth costs with the threat of closure looming over our heads.

We found a solution to the bandwidth charges and now are hosting is sponsored so we get it for nothing, but despite the 3-5 thousand visitors a day to the site at that time we never got a penny from donations.

I think we where justified in asking "its the oldbies who get away with this stuff" because the problem was genuine, but it shows the effect that donation buttons really have when your not rattling a box in the high street and looking people in the eye! (and perhaps collecting for a slightly better cause than ours! - just maybe i'll cede that).

These days we run even more traffic through our site, our peak traffic still makes our host shudder, and the donation buttons are long gone and consigned to the scrap heap. Instead if and when it is time for Banshee to generate revenue we'll have to do so via shareware, it'll be pocket money not an income, but it is a far better method of making people part with their cash if money is what we're after.

Andy

This thread was brought to you in co-operating with http://www.liquidhosting.com with email facilities provided by http://www.vapournet.com.

Don't laugh, i'm serious!

God created the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2004 13:43
I'd usually scoff at someone asking for donations when they have a commercial product to make money from, but I reckon DG does deserves more money than he gets from TML.

I would suggest that you trawl your hard drive for old media that you can spare, and make some media packs - perhaps even upload CCA and (I think you made one) your mp3 player. At least people will know that your doing more with your website than trying to make a quick buck - maybe make a point about them being free (maybe a 'Free Downloads' page).

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2004 16:14
Those of you who didn't play TML, shame on you.
Dang if I remebered to save that awsome review I wrote up for it...

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2004 16:33
Andy:
All Banshee games are freeware? And nobody donated anything? Cheap bastards!

Van:
I don't have much media that I have done myself. A couple of old models that are too highpoly for games and too bad quality for renders. Stuff I made when I learned Lightwave.

CCA is of so bad quality and Player is too limited in it's features. I'm not gonna put them up again. But I just remembered that I can put up DAdata on my site. Gonna make a little update first, got a request. It's still in beta but fully working. It's freeware. I'm also thinking about other free stuff that I can make to draw more visits. Probably PHP stuff so I can get some ads in there.

I don't think people belive I'm trying to make a quick buck. I'm updating often, I have 1 published game, 1 game coming soon and a forum in the works (both with shots on the site).

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2004 16:34
Megaton:
Yeah, that would have been nice since I have no reviews yet

MushroomHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2004 19:02
Hello,

I am Sergent Idris Lawal (rtd). I heartily beg for your help. We were retired voluntarily by the commander in chief of armed forces of the country, Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida during his tenure as president and commander in chief of the armed forces.

Since then we have been living in the military barracks waiting for our benefits. Some weeks ago fire gulped the armory section in the barracks and everywhere caught fire. The entire barracks exploded and many people lost their lives. The death toll was about 2000, while some were rendered homeless. Right now we have lost all we had, property, shelter, clothing, everything.

My wife and my two kids managed to survive,. Right now they are in the hospital. One of them needs surgery on her face. We have been advised by the hospital to pay the sum of N5,000,000.00(NAIRA) which is about US$50,000.00 to commence this operation. My inability to raise the said amount, keeps me in a state of frustration. We have access to computer. That is the only thing our government did for us. I beg you in the name of GOD to kindly assist us with any amount of money to enable us to carry out this operation. Your assistance will highly be appreciated.

Please help us. God will bless you abundantly.

- Rav.
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2004 19:50
Sadly email con-artist spam doesn't proove the point you are trying to make 'shroomie, but there are of course genuine causes out there which I think is what you where trying to stress. If it aint got a registered charity number, then it aint a charity.

However some donation systems do work, when Retro Remakes (http://www.remakes.org) had their own retro programming competition last year (supported by TGC but not the actual TGC retro competition) their site suffered a similar problem to the one I had, excessive bandwidth and a huge bill.

The result of this was that they asked for donations to help them out. Whilst not a charity, RR did offer a popular service and their community was willing and able to help sustain that service.

Charities and donating for a service are two very seperate things. With one you give to feal good about yourself, with the other you give to sustain a service you use.

God created the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2004 22:46
Dead Glory, I'll list some things that I think are a good/fair way to make a buck.

- Some kind of Subscription based area, where the first releases/beta's/demos/tutorials are. Kinda like on TGC. (I know with your new forum, people will start piling in soon, so this may be in option in the future)

- As suggusted by Van B, some media packs.(If you have the time)

- 1 or 2 banner ads.

Well, those are my ideas, that hopefully wouldn't take too much time, and could generate some $$$.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2004 02:50
Yellow:
Do you know of some good banner ads? I've been looking around and I can't find any good ones. I have one where I get 9 impressions for every 10 I show, the one that's on my site. That one will be moved over to the forum. But I want to earn some cash that I can buy stuff for.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2004 02:57
Could try Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/ref=gw1_mm_2/002-2923733-3284058/?node=3435371

Not exactly how much money you'd make, but if someone buys a book after clicking your link, you get like 10%.
Plus, Amazon is something that is actually useful to have on your site(I'm sure you could select catagories), rather than annoying pop-ups.

Not sure about how reliable this is, but I'll post it anyway.
http://www.profitpuppy.com/top-affiliates.htm

Just try a simple search for "pop-up affiliate" or something, and you'll get tons. Just be careful not to get any that have nothing to do with your site, or will cause annoyence problems.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2004 04:08
Thanks a lot, I didn't even know what to seach for

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 05:27:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 05:27:51