Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / What should my first game be?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2004 22:45
Ok,so i've learned a little about Dark Basics language,but what should my first game be? Does any one have a good example or perhaps some textures and models i could use with it?

-www.gamemaker.nl a GM user since 1999-
shokora
Years of Service
User Offline
im also a beginner and i started with doing the binary moon tutorials.
and i must say, its very good... and im going to make the 3d pong game with this http://developer.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=22030&b=7
tutorial.

im so noob... but im learning!
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2004 22:51
don't mind my stupid posts in that thread link above, I had posted up complete code for a 3d pong game but when I realized that the thread was turning into a very nice tutorial, I removed the stuff I had posted as not to interfere with "class in session"

-RUST-
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2004 23:22
My tutorial is or absolute beginners. After that you should move on to Binary Moon - and then just start coding arcade games. Just keep coding, start with a cube, try out different controls or moving it around, then build the game up slowly around it. Never delete code, just replace it - this way you'll always be heading forwards.

Monty87
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2004 23:30
try making a game like asteriods. rocks with realistic ball phsics that bounce off the walls, and ship movement with momentum. its easy and will help you realy get to grips with the 2D and fundamental aspects first. Also you could try working some incredibly basic AI into it; say, adding a few 'alien' ships that roughly home in on your position. im sorry if im being patronising, but you did indicate that you are a real newbee, so best to leave the 3D till later.

Monty
JM Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2004 00:06
I just finished the pong tutorial and it was pretty good.What do you mean by binary moon?

-www.gamemaker.nl a GM user since 1999-
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2004 05:14
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2004 22:57
Quote: "best to leave the 3D till later"

Absolutely not. Don't let anyone ever tell you this. 2D is harder than 3D - DB is built for 3D so do that on it.

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 08:55
I found when learning to program, that 2d was a lot easier to learn the basic principles with, and then once you figured out the meat behind programming and flow and all that, you could tackle 3d which made perspectives a lot easier and made your game look more professional. 2d is a much more controlled environment, and sometimes new guys need that. Do both, then which ever one scares you or confuses you the most, leave it until later, or in the case of 2d never.

Juvenile Industries
Current Project: KillZone(FPS)
Soon to come:An rts, and a snowball fight game
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 11:55
No way!!! 3D is easier in every way! Never let anyone say that 2D is easier that's twisted logic thinking.

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 19:40
The reason I say 2d is easier is because there are so many more ways you can screw things up in 3d. 3d programming is definitely easier with DarkBasic, it's 2d features aren't quite what you'd call smooth. But when I first started out on 3d it was after doing Qbasic, and after that Blitz2d(heaven forbid). It was a little weird trying to imagine that there were 3 dimensions in my computer screen, and I was worried about how I'd have to calculate perspectives and all this other crazy junk. But I can see how simle it is now that I understand how it works, probably just a matter of preference.
Could you please state your rationale?

Juvenile Industries
Current Project: KillZone(FPS)
Soon to come:An rts, and a snowball fight game
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 20:02
it is different for everyone, its called an opinion people

a
Represent
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "What should my first game be?"

You should start with the Binary Moon Tutorial or make a Pong game.
Douglass
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: ""What should my first game be?""

GTA4.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 21:23
3D is easier because that is what DB is designed to do.

You make objects - make object cube 1,1
and move them around - position object 1,0,0,0

In 2D you can't make objects. There is no way that 2D is easier - if you want, don't use all the dimensions in 3D but ALWAYS START IN 3D

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 17:54:13
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 17:54:13