Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2004 04:54
How do you have DBP cast shadows in realtime like this demo of DB classic (link to it at the bottom). Its not sharp shadows but a little more blurry, creating a realistic look. How can we do something like that. In my Crimson Skies clone i'm working on, i want to have the airplane to cast a shadow onto the terrain so it can show depth. And how do you have the terrain cast shadows. I don't have the money to buy geoscape 3d, so i have to find an alternative.

http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/?m=showcase_view&i=147

.:Leader of BoX-Softare Gaming Company:.
Darkflame
Years of Service
User Offline
That isnt really shadows, thats just basic lighting.
Mearly creating a light will do that.

If you want shadows, you can either use the slow, direct-x based stencil method (DBP only)
....or the fast but less accurate "black light" method.

Basicaly, if you want a ball to have a shadow, you have a black spotlight pointing at it so it casts a negative light on the ground
Works quite well but you gota get the angle and such right.
Also, the "ground" has to be a well subdivided mesh for it to look nice.

"The man who says it cannot be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." ~ Elbert Hubbard
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2004 09:50
sounds like a bit of a waste of polygons to me. just make an image for your shadow, texture it on a plane, ghost it, and place it slighty above the ground. many games use this techinque.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!
Darkflame
Years of Service
User Offline
and what if the ground isnt flat?
Or the object moves near a light source?

The black-light techique is quite a bit more flexible, as the shadow will go on walls and such.

"The man who says it cannot be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." ~ Elbert Hubbard
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
I thought of lightmaps, but now I believe you should use lights(dynamic). Not many games use this since it's SLOW.

Dual AMD Athlon MP 2x1GHZ | IBM 15000Rpm SCSI 73.4 Gb X 2 | e-GeForce Ti4400 | Audigy 2 + 7.1 Surround sound | 17' Monitor | Ugly mouse
Ub3rS0ldAt Patriot of War
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2004 23:23
So if I do just add a light, as the demo showed. It will then create shadowish effect? Am I right?

.:Leader of BoX-Softare Gaming Company:.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 18:35:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 18:35:55