Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Remake of the Classic CRPG Daggerfall (please help a n00b out)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
So a few of my friends are working diligently on rebuilding Daggerfall (the best CRPG ever IMHO) www.bethesdasoftworks.com
And I would like to help them. Evidently A guy named interkarma has written a .dll file which lets DB read the data files from the game directory so all the data is already there, it just needs a new engine that will be compatible with XP. I was wondering if you guys could tell me exactly what i need to learn to help with the coding of the engine etc. Any links to to info on what I need to learn to help rebuild the engine would be much appreciated..
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 08:51
First you guys are going to need DBPro if you're doing something as big as this, and you should check out the Binary Moon tutorials on this site. Then, if you're having trouble with a particular portion of code you've been assigned to write, go ahead and ask for help here. Just make sure you provide too much information about the problem, if y'know what I mean.

Juvenile Industries
Current Project: KillZone(FPS)
Soon to come:An rts, and a snowball fight game
Rknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 15:01
There's an XP install patch out there though if you didn't know.
Lord Maynoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2004 00:19 Edited at: 26th Jan 2004 23:36
Rknight,
I realize they have an XP install patch, however Daggerfall is near impossible to get working correctly in XP. Their are multitudes of sound issues and extra gameplay bugs caused by xp. Some critial quests are impossible to complete due to invisible monster/treasure bugs etc. The only good way to play daggerfall is on an older win98se machine < 300Mhz. This is why my friends are rewriting Daggerfall for XP.
Lord Maynoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Crazy Donut... thanks for the info..
Rknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2004 04:10
Well, unless my recollection fails me the original game on any platform had that. Unless you enabled the cheats, winning was highly unlikely.
Lord Maynoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Your correct... Daggerfall was plagued with bugs... however running it on xp multiplies that by a factor of 100.... not only that but you get invisble quest bugs which make finishing the quest impossible.
comando 300
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 02:03 Edited at: 28th Jan 2004 02:04
What's CRPG?

Is just of those days when you don't wanna wake up everything is *****, everybody sucks you really don't know why, but you wanna justify rippin' someone head off!
DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 03:20
Quote: "What's CRPG?"

I could be Nasty...but i won't be. Sounds like a big project. Good luck with all the stuff, some people around here might be interested in that DLL btw...and you should check with Bethesda Softworks too, they might not be too pleased about u reverse engineering their software...although ur technically not, their data is still protected by their copyright. An E-mail should confirm it with them.

Your soul...it tastes like chicken

Official Website Coming Soon
option explicit
Years of Service
User Offline
I heard Bethesda doesn't even have the sourcecode to Daggerfall anymore. Hopefully they wouldn't object to a group of fans breathing life back into an otherwise dead game.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
- Bertrand Russel

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 18:58:39
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 18:58:39