Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Wowzer!

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2004 03:28
During study hall today I was in the comp room working on my RPG Tutorial (Im doing it for school as well)

All the sudden this GENIOUS 4th grader comes up and observes me programming. I just ignore him. All the sudden he starts saying how amazing the battle system I had going was. I was like "Heh, thanks" He spoke about Dark Basic like he knew it,,,kinda freaked me out! Looks like there are even younger DBers out there then we knew about

The computer teacher told me he was a programmer as well, I thought to myself WTF?! But hey, kids these days are getting used to computers earlier and earlier I guess.

4th grade programmer, cool eh?

RPGamer

We need help! Email us! join@eternaldestinyonline.com
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2004 03:29
hehe, i started in third with HTML

a
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2004 03:33
mattman, although impressive for a third grader, html is not "programming", in the purest sense of the word.

<gets flame-proof cloak and cowers in corner>

-RUST-
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2004 03:48
In the purest sense of the word, it is a script, thus a language, and thus those who use it are programmers and the use of it is programming...

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2004 03:55
well, it's quite complex for a 8 year old CattleRustler...

a
Represent
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah. I started DBC in 5th grade and I started making sites when I was 7 or 8. I made a my first game in 4th grade with RPGTK1. It was one world, 10 monsters, 2 playable charcters (which is horrible for a RPGTK game) but I liked it.
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2004 04:02
Am I the only one that started off with QuickBasic? I was around 8 or something...

Why do programmers always mix up Christmas and Halloween?
Because DEC 25 = OCT 31
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2004 04:03
i never used QB...

a
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Used QB once or twice, but personally I started with LTPB in 6th grade.

And RPGamer, in a couple of years, 4th grades knowing how to program will be even more commonplace. Now THAT is scary.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
I was in 3Rd grade. We learned Assembly. It was the hardest thing ever. I remember we got down to 16-Bit registires.

True story.

Dual AMD Athlon MP 2x1GHZ | IBM 15000Rpm SCSI 73.4 Gb X 2 | e-GeForce Ti4400 | Audigy 2 + 7.1 Surround sound | 17' Monitor | Ugly mouse
Represent
Years of Service
User Offline
Is QuickBASIC Qbasic as in in DOS you yupe in qbasic? Becaues I started with that (sort of). I made a couple quizzes for my class in 5th grade with it but never was too good at it.
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2004 05:20
i started with QBasic when I was 10.. or 11, on my Tandy 1000!! BABY YEAH

http://www.dbspot.com/ - free webhosting (WORKS NOW)
Don't forget to listen to the unofficial DB streaming radio station: http://jimmykicks.ath.cx:8000
Kharnor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2004 08:00
Heh. I started qbasic when i was like 6 years old. All i could make was ' print "hello world" ' programs. Eventually i learned the 'input' and 'cls' commands and made huge text adventures with ascii graphics! I even made a text version of frogger once.

I remember in year 5 and 6, we had a bunch of computers outside our classroom with qbasic on them. I showed everyone and soon they were all playing Nibbles and Gorrilas. I was making my own program, something like

And then someone comes up to me and says "No, you cant do that, the printer's not working."

Current project: Parking Lot (puzzle game, 30% complete)
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2004 09:10
When I was 12 I didn't even know what a floppy drive was. o_O

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I started programming with Speccy Basic! Each command was assigned to a single key press!

Load = L
Print = P
For = F
Next = N

Something like that. It was easy to remember though, because the words were printed on the keys.

Pincho.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2004 11:15
Cool.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2004 14:05
Load was J Pincho

I started on the ZX81. I had just gotten out of nappies. The earliest record I can find of my programming was a Spectrum game I wrote and it had a date in the code, I was 8. I wrote it about 4-5 years after my first program.

I learned to program alongside learning to talk. My parents where convinced computers would be a big industry and wanted me to be ready.

God created the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2004 15:16
My bro doesnt do any sort of programming now, but when he was younger he did some on the ZX spectrum. The first programming I ever did was on my old PC in 'liberty BASIC' when I was about 11. It was on a cd to a magazine i got, so I decided to try it out.

Benjamin R Wharton
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2004 15:38
i started at 10 on a texas instruments but i kinda went more art and media than coding.
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2004 17:03
I'm a late bloomer and didn't start coding until 1981 on a Tandy Color Computer (CoCo for short.) That machine still has the nicest keyboard I ever used. At the time, you could buy an IBM Selectric keyboard and replaced the standard 'chiclet' keyboard.
--
TAZ

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2004 18:06
I started getting into programming when I was 11... on an AMD 700mhz machine I'm gonna have to wait a decade or so to be considered an oldbie . Haven't advanced past DarkBASIC actually, though I can now read C++ to an extent if not write it, and know a darn lot more about PC hardware.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
nrasool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2004 18:43
Ahh... my dad purchased me an Amstrad CPC 464 in 1986, i was 9 years old at that time. Played Roland on the ropes and Alien (Amsoft) version. Loved it so much, that i was purchasing Amstrad Action and going through their code listing and changing it around in basic

Good old days

A Good Programmer never blames his tools
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2004 18:48
started with Atari Basic (Atari 400) when I was about 9 or 10. I still have that computer and it still works, although I haven't fired it up in ages

-RUST-
Renegade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2004 19:42
Quote: "When I was 12 I didn't even know what a floppy drive was. o_O
"

Same here
I started to use HTML when I was 16 years old
and now Im learning PHP and DBC (at least I try to learn )
Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2004 20:51
I was 8 years old, when I started to code simple things on my C64
Things like :
Quote: "1 PRINT "Want to see my poetry ?"
2 INPUT$ = type$
3 IF type$ = "yes" THEN GOTO 5
4 END
5 PRINT "Once upon a time, ..."
6 PRINT "blablabla"
54 PRINT "And he died in peace."
55 END"

"Begin at the beginning, and go on till you come to the end: then stop." - Lewis Carroll
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Lol! What was your gay rating again???...Poetry...lol! J/K!

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2004 02:03
My dad showed me a thing or two about programming in BASIC on the Commodore 64 when I was 6 or 7, so that was when I started. I eventually moved onto GW-BASIC on our Atari 1040ST, and was making screensavers and flashy crap.

Then when I hit Grade 6, I got my first IBM Clone (486/33), and was tinkering with QB4.5, making BBS games (some of you guys should remember playing those). Then I moved up to C/C++ in high school, and have been engrossed in DBP and Visual C++ since, making games and apps and all kinds of stuff. I want my future kids to start coding young too, it helps the logical brain come out

Ancient Chinese proverb: Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

http://www.automatongames.com/
mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2004 02:19
sorry but you american year grouping is confusing me. here in the uk u are at primary school from 4/5-->>10/11 then you go into secondary school. i am in 4th year secondary and just started darkbasic properly 3or4 months ago. when i was 8/9ish i tried darkbasic or whenever it came out, it was brand new then i think but i'm not sure, i didn't really understand it, all i could do was simple input then print out the input sort of thing altho i could edit the examples to make the tank go faster, fire two bullets that have different speeds/angles etc. last year we started programming in 3rd year in pascal so after i was comferable with that i remembered about db so i found the trial again and liked it much more so i bought it a few weeks ago. i did some html and am now trying to learn php. i'm also thinking about getting the old zx81 or bbc out of the attic to try them. i could use dos when i was 2 years old though.

http://www.larinar.tk
AMD athlon thoroughbred 2200, 512Mb ram, 40Gb HD, ati saphire radeon 9600 atlantis w/128mb ddr ram, good creative-labs soundcard, cd-rw + dvd drives.
Represent
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Atari Basic (Atari 400) when I was about 9 or 10. I still have that computer and it still works, although I haven't fired "

You have an Atari 400, me too! I love that thing. It really sucks in these days though. When I moved it broke and never got to fixing it yet.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 05:47:56
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 05:47:56