Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / karma......

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
i was wanting to check out the "karma" physics engine, and i was told it resides at www.mathengine.com. it gives me a "page cannot be displayed" error whenever i go there . do i have the wrong address, or is karma no more?

www.freewebs.com/metamorphicsoft
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2004 22:08
looks like the webserver is down. But since the DNS still works, it'll
probably be back up soon. Either that, or karma died and the DNS hasn't
expired yet.

Why do programmers always mix up Christmas and Halloween?
Because DEC 25 = OCT 31
Gery
Years of Service
User Offline
karma is the engine of UT 2k3, right?
Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2004 23:36
Karma is no more. The Renderware guys gobbled it up.
Gery
Years of Service
User Offline
equal.. the Unreal is still use it... and it was not too good engine...
Represent
Years of Service
User Offline
@Ge3ri-
Change you name fast... you will probably get banned.
Gery
Years of Service
User Offline
i love my name, and don't change it.
Represent
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2004 23:42 Edited at: 24th Jan 2004 23:43
Fine, you may get banned though.

(edit)
You aren't the real Geri, he doesn't speak English. Too bad, I wanted to meet him.
Gery
Years of Service
User Offline
Transworld: sure?
Represent
Years of Service
User Offline
Sure about what??? That you might be banned. I guess you might.
Gery
Years of Service
User Offline
no, sure about i can speak english!
Represent
Years of Service
User Offline
@Ge3ri-
You are not the real Geri.

@MODS-
Check his IP. See where he is from.... US,UK, or where Geri is from.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2004 23:56
Why don't you think it's the real Geri?

It could well be.

Gery
Years of Service
User Offline
pfff... now i get it....
Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 00:32
@Chris Knott

"Why don't you think it's the real Geri?"

I've been around the forums long enough to see the original Geri and, trust me, this one isn't Geri. The english is waaayyy too good. Its just some loser yanking our collective chain.
Gery
Years of Service
User Offline
loser is your mutter!
Represent
Years of Service
User Offline
he must be someone that knows about Geri. That means Ge3ri is someone that has been here for a while. Maybe he is CMC, or NEWB.
Gery
Years of Service
User Offline
than... i kick jour arse so hard so you kiss the moons, RIGHT?!
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 01:04
- What nationality are you?
- What did your old sig say? - the one in your own language?

Gery
Years of Service
User Offline
Próbáld meg kitalálni. Nem hiszem, hogy sikerülni fog!
Represent
Years of Service
User Offline
Èl no comprendé amigo y chica. Mi talke el espańol
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 01:12
And what did I used to call you?

Cool. Geri pop quiz. Of course probably quite easy to answer with a quick search.

Cheers

Ps. Deathmatch Chess? Aha.

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Gery
Years of Service
User Offline
ehh, not fear
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 01:50
Ireland-based Middleware bought out Cambridge-Based MathEngine in June 2003 for use in thier Physic Engine that is now known as Havok.

Havok is the combination Karma & Ipioen.
If you'd like to know more information about Havok or the upcomming Havok2 please click on middlewares' name.

P4-M 1.3Ghz | 512mb DDR PC1800 | GeForce FX 5600 Go! 53.03 | DirectX9.0b SDK | C-Media 8738/C3DX | Windows XP 2004
Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 02:32
@Raven

Not quite.

http://www.renderware.com/press_room/press_3.htm

Quote: "November 28th, 2003 — Criterion Software®, the world’s leading provider of middleware solutions for the game industry, announces that RenderWare® Physics is now available. The new product, which now integrates the fruits of Criterion’s acquisition of MathEngine’s physics IP (including Karma), "
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 07:39
Quote: "I've been around the forums long enough to see the original Geri and, trust me, this one isn't Geri. The english is waaayyy too good. Its just some loser yanking our collective chain."

Ditto. It's definately not Geri.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 12:23 Edited at: 25th Jan 2004 12:26
Quote: "The new product, which now integrates the fruits of Criterion’s acquisition of MathEngine’s physics IP (including Karma), is set to redefine the benchmark for quality physics technology and reconfirms Criterion’s intention to deliver highly optimized integrated solutions that support the entire development cycle and support the creation of truly unique and innovative gameplay"

Karma is a Physics and Dynamics API, that used Renderware.
The reason there has been a big hoohar between companies that had already purchased a Karma 1.3.0 License is because MIDDLEWARE purchased MathEngine PLc (Not MathEngine Inc that Criterion Studios purchased).

What they basically did was then to cover the costs of the buy out then sold on the parts of the company. What Critierion Studios actually purchased was MathEngine Inc, the Canadian Extension Sutiod to MathEngine PLc based in Cambridge. And as such were given the rights to Kea.

Middleware however kept Karma & Authur for themselves, which rather than the pure physics calculations of Kea (which OpenDE runs on the kid brother of by the way) they gained the entire Dynamics and Physics update that 1.3.0 provided.

it was on the news on middleware before they changed thier site.

[edit-]

Bottom line is that Karma as it was no longer exists.
This said KarmaFX will be part of the Shader 4.0 Specification; So i'd look out for that in the next year.
KarmaFX is something developer.nvidia.com people might know of very well as the recently GPL-based FX version of Karma Physics and Dynamics Engine 1.3.0

P4-M 1.3Ghz | 512mb DDR PC1800 | GeForce FX 5600 Go! 53.03 | DirectX9.0b SDK | C-Media 8738/C3DX | Windows XP 2004
Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 16:47
"Karma is a Physics and Dynamics API, that used Renderware."

Is Used by Renderware, yes.

"The reason there has been a big hoohar between companies that had already purchased a Karma 1.3.0 License is because MIDDLEWARE purchased MathEngine PLc (Not MathEngine Inc that Criterion Studios purchased)."

Now what mystifies me is your use of the word middleware. Now as far as I can tell the company is named Havok not middleware. I haven't seen anything on their site to suggest that they are owned by any kinda company named Middleware. So why are you calling them MiddleWare?

Anyway, mathengine was NOT bought out by Havok.

From Criterion's site:
Quote: "MathEngine and Criterion Software®, two of the leading providers of middleware solutions, have signed an agreement which sees Criterion become exclusive worldwide distributor for the sale and support of MathEngine's physics solution, Karma."

and further down.
Quote: "In addition to Karma sales, distribution and support, Criterion and MathEngine plan to co-operate on the further development of future physics tools and middleware solutions."

http://www.renderware.com/press_releases/recent/gdc_mathengine.html
Criterion bought the rights to Karma, not the company. Mathengine still exists and is in co-operation with Criterion with development of physics tools. Now if "MiddleWare" had bought out mathengine how the hell can mathengine be working with a competitor?

"What they basically did was then to cover the costs of the buy out then sold on the parts of the company."

The company was never sold so you're wrong.

"What Critierion Studios actually purchased was MathEngine Inc, the Canadian Extension Sutiod to MathEngine PLc based in Cambridge."

Ummmm. No.

" And as such were given the rights to Kea."

What the hell is Kea? If they have the rights to Kea why does the press release say that they have the rights to Karma then?

"Middleware however kept Karma & Authur for themselves"

No they didn't. Read the press release. Criterion owns Karma. And what the hell is Authur?

"which rather than the pure physics calculations of Kea (which OpenDE runs on the kid brother of by the way) they gained the entire Dynamics and Physics update that 1.3.0 provided."

That made absolutely no sense whatsoever. If Kea contains pure physics calculations then what would a dynamics and physics update contain? Impure physics calculations? From what you just said it sounds like instead of getting a pure physics calculations package they got a pure physics calculation package. I mean, what would a physics and dynamics package contain other than physics calculations!
Ugghhhh.

"it was on the news on middleware before they changed thier site."

Of coarse. How conveinent.

"Bottom line is that Karma as it was no longer exists."

Gasp! Could it be? An accurate statment!

"This said KarmaFX will be part of the Shader 4.0 Specification"

You have to be one of the most creative people I've meet. Where do you get this stuff?

But back to reality. What the hell would a physics package have anything to do with a Shader specification? I mean really. If you are going to just make stuff up could you at least come up with something plausable?

Think about it for a moment. A shader specification deals with how the gpu will be designed to handle shaders. Now how could a physics package(or whatever the hell this KarmaFX thing is) have anything even remotely related to gpu design? Its not like anyone is going to hard wire in the physics calcs to the processors.

What would they have to gain from it? Shaders are for graphics. Not physics. Though they can be used to help calc the equations faster a gpu has no business being bogged down with hardwired physics calculations. It just wouldn't be worth it.

"KarmaFX is something developer.nvidia.com people might know of very well as the recently GPL-based FX version of Karma Physics and Dynamics Engine 1.3.0"

Oh please. I visit that site on a regular basis and have seen no such thing at all. Ever. Of coarse, if you have a link to this illustrious "GPL-based FX version of Karma Physics and Dynamics Engine 1.3.0" I'd love to see.

But I'm not holding my breath.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 17:46
this is why I hate people getting all thier information from the net and thinking that getting it at a moments notice makes it completely true.

i'm not going to get into the whole reason why Middleware Ltd is going by the name Havok (wonder if you noticed the name doesn't have a company type prefix, guess you didn't...)

honestly ... believe whatever the hell you want about what happened to MathEngine - both branches have been stripped and are no longer in business, i still have the phone numbers to both if you'd like to try them just to hear the "The number you have dialled is no longer in service" announcment.

and you think physics in shaders is silly?

Quote: "But back to reality. What the hell would a physics package have anything to do with a Shader specification? I mean really. If you are going to just make stuff up could you at least come up with something plausable?

Think about it for a moment. A shader specification deals with how the gpu will be designed to handle shaders. Now how could a physics package(or whatever the hell this KarmaFX thing is) have anything even remotely related to gpu design? Its not like anyone is going to hard wire in the physics calcs to the processors."

I'd suggest you realise just exactly what the Cg Toolkit and Cg does; i'd also recommend you to lookup what the Graphics Processors do and how they do it.

All an API is ... is a form of ready made functions, interfaces, macros, etc.. designed to give the user a generic set of commands for what they want to do.

All Physics & Dynamic Engines do is gloss over the mathematics in the background _ what you somehow think that Cg or HLSL aren't capable of such things with a C based API??

That was the entire bloody point in Cg incase you missed it Neo; It was to allow programmer to code as in coding in C itself, whilst the interaction level between Cg and C actually allows them to interlink quite happily.

when the bugs are wormed out of Cg 1.2 and it's new pointer system you'll see a far greater level of interaction between the GPU Shader Core and Graphics API than ever before.

Quote: "Oh please. I visit that site on a regular basis and have seen no such thing at all. Ever. Of coarse, if you have a link to this illustrious "GPL-based FX version of Karma Physics and Dynamics Engine 1.3.0" I'd love to see"

Really and you've been a Registered Developer for how long?
And your forum username would be what?

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Does everything have to turn into a flamewar?

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 19:15
Bottom line of Havok's press releases:
Quote: "©2004, Havok and Havok2 are registered trademarks of Havok and Telekinesis Research Limited."

Me, I'll sit and write this love song as I all too seldom do
build a little fire this midnight. It's good to be back home with you.
Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 21:05
@HZence

"Does everything have to turn into a flamewar?"

Only when Raven's involved.

@empty

"Bottom line of Havok's press releases:"

Thanks empty I didn't see that. The next question is who is Telekinesis Research Limited? From what I've found out so far Havok was formerly know as Telekinesys.

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2001/02/18/story297155.asp

Quote: "Havok began life as Telekinesys, a Trinity College spin-off company founded and developed by a team including seven PhD holders from the college computer science department."

It also appears that it maintains a website for the former company name as well.

http://www.telekinesys.com/press/120600.html

They are basically identical companies that trade under different names. One is the entertainment division, Havok, the other is more general purpose:

Quote: "The new company trading under the Havok brand will be based in Palo Alto, Munich and Dublin. "

Quote: "Havok is the entertainment wing of Telekinesys Research providing optimized solutions for PS2, Gamecube and the X-box."

I believe the difference in name is a result of a name change from Telekinesis Research to the shorter Telekinesys Research.

@Raven

"this is why I hate people getting all thier information from the net and thinking that getting it at a moments notice makes it completely true."

Are you saying that the company's own website is lying?

"i'm not going to get into the whole reason why Middleware Ltd is going by the name Havok "

It looks like the little imagination of yours is running out of steam. Don't worry. I'm sure you'll come up some kind of suitable lie in the next few posts.

Though I'm pretty sure you'll be hard pressed to find one to explain how "MiddleWare" owns Karma when Criterion has the rights to it.

" (wonder if you noticed the name doesn't have a company type prefix, guess you didn't...)"

What has that have to do with anything? You don't have to have a "company type" postfix affixiated to your company name in order to be legite.

"and you think physics in shaders is silly?"

Why don't you read my post.

Quote: "Though they can be used to help calc the equations faster a gpu has no business being bogged down with hardwired physics calculations. "

"I'd suggest you realise just exactly what the Cg Toolkit and Cg does; i'd also recommend you to lookup what the Graphics Processors do and how they do it."

Oh please. This coming from the fool who thought that Vertex shader 1.2,1.3,1.4 existed and thought that the Cg api somehow bypassed the drivers and graphics apis to talk straight to the hardware.

I'm the one who schooled you on what shaders were remember? And I thought that you said you'd leave the "shader dictating" to the Pros?

And I'm fully aware that physics calculations can be done on GPUs Raven. I even said as much in my post above(reread the above quote and get a clue). And I also saw that demo on developer.nvidia.com quite a few months ago. I frequent that site daily remember?

"All an API is ... is a form of ready made functions, interfaces, macros, etc.. designed to give the user a generic set of commands for what they want to do."

Thanks for telling me stuff I already know.

"All Physics & Dynamic Engines do is gloss over the mathematics in the background _ "

Which is exactly what your "Kea" does. Or is this mythical Kea just a series of source files you paste into your code?

" _ what you somehow think that Cg or HLSL aren't capable of such things with a C based API??"

Where the hell did this come from? What's that have to do with physics apis?

"That was the entire bloody point in Cg incase you missed it Neo; It was to allow programmer to code as in coding in C itself,"

Uh...duh!

I've noticed this recurring pattern with you. When ever someone makes you look like a fool, you create imaginary arguments and pretend that they said them. Then you proceed to attack those arguments all the while ignoring the legitamit ones posed against you.

In logic, this known as a Straw Man. It is a logical fallacy, something you appear to be quite acquited with.

"when the bugs are wormed out of Cg 1.2 and it's new pointer system you'll see a far greater level of interaction between the GPU Shader Core and Graphics API than ever before."

You'd have to have a GPU capable of using a pointer first, Raven.

"Really and you've been a Registered Developer for how long?
And your forum username would be what?"

You don't have to be registered to access developer.nvidia.com Raven. Look for yourself:
http://developer.nvidia.com/page/home

Now if you mean nvdeveloper.nvidia.com that's another story though I noticed that you haven't mentioned it yet. No doubt you will, pretending your member all.

But, really, face the facts. You're wrong. Criterion owns Karma, Havok IS NOT MiddleWare, and physics will not be built into upcoming GPUs(Note, this isn't the same as performing the physics calcs on GPUs. This can already be done, as I said before, only that GPUs won't have them hardwired into them which is what you were suggesting with Shader specification 4.0.

Any questions?
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 21:35 Edited at: 25th Jan 2004 21:46
I've noticed Raven's arguments go like this:

Quote: "Raven : The Sun goes round the earth
Someone with logic : What the hell?!? That's crap!
Raven : No it isn't
Someone : I've got an encyclopedia right here - it's says that the Earth goes round the Sun.
Raven : Oh...... you believe that do you? Every thought that every company in the world actually lies in favor of all my arguements and only tells me the truth- 'cos I'm special?
Someone : Why would they do that?
Raven : Because I'm special - and what the hell do you mean the earth goes round the moon?!?
Someone : I never said that!!
Raven : Yes you did. Right here - "the earth goes round the moon"
Someone : That quote's from you!?
Raven : Really? You believe everything TGC's forums tells you do you........."

Cycle is repeated many times.

Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 21:44
@Chris Knott

"Cycle is repeated many times."

LOL! Thanks I needed that.
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 22:22
Quote: "@empty

"Bottom line of Havok's press releases:"

Thanks empty I didn't see that. The next question is who is Telekinesis Research Limited? From what I've found out so far Havok was formerly know as Telekinesys.
[...]
"

Yes, obviously the company Telekinesis still exists (hence the copyright), maybe it has become a holding company or something.
I think you'll be having a hardtime if you try registering a company called "Middleware Ltd".

Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2004 02:04
@Empty

"Yes, obviously the company Telekinesis still exists (hence the copyright), maybe it has become a holding company or something."

You are probably right. But the more that I look at it the more that it looks like it is a typo or something. I can't find anything on-line that suggests that it is a seperate company from Telekinesys Research. Every link I've found has used Telekinesys and Havok pretty much interchangably, but no mention of Telekinesis Research.

I think that whoever typed those press releases just heard the word and assumed that it was typed Telekinesis and not Telekinesys. Afterall, they are pronounced identical and the difference is subtle enough to be missed by a cursory glance. And they probably just use the same footer over and over again so one typo can easily multiple to many. But that's just my best guess. I could be wrong on that one.

"I think you'll be having a hardtime if you try registering a company called "Middleware Ltd"."

Me too. I mean the word is so bloody prevailent in the industry there is just no way you could get it copyrighted.

I'm pretty sure this is how Raven got the idea that Karma was bought by someone called middleware. Criterion and Havok are middleware providers and he probably just glanced at a press release that said "MiddleWare providers Criterion acquire MathEngine's Karma" and read "MiddleWare providers acquire MathEngine's Karma". And Since he never admits he is wrong he's left trying to defend a statement that is so obviously untrue and easily disproved. Poor bugger.

I almost feel sorry for him. Almost.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2004 08:36
I'd suggest you morons actually do a registered company search before you start.

You can trade legally by any given name provided somewhere you place why your called that... If Microsoft put in a legal TOS or such,
Microsoft Corporation ("Fuzzy Wuzzy Software") they could legally document everything as Fuzzy Wuzzy Software.

I swear you people are just so mind numblingly stupid. You think the Site's information is correct, look at what they've written in the Bio for the company.
Havok was create in 1983 by blah blah ... yet you've discovered there is a second trading name (with a company prefix).

And YES you legally MUST denote a company prefix if you wish to trade and legally copyright stuff. Without that Legal seal that you are an actual registered company it can be argued that you are trading illegally.

and Neo... developer.nvidia.com/forum ... if you can get in there freely then make a post. It is obvious who I am in there.
Happen to be the guy labeled
"Raven Lettan"
"ADMINISTRATOR"

Really this is pointless, if either of you have actually bothered to do any serious homework you'd know that
Middleware Ltd (not Middle ware who occupy www.middleware.com) is the trading name that Ipion was released under, it is also what Havok was released under. Havok2 has been released under a new trading name (which IS NOT HAVOK, do your legal checks you idiots!).
Telekinesys come from the university professor who joined Middleware back in 1993, and it was a partnership. So both parties continued trading under the original names.

And you wanted to know WHY they don't go by the name Middleware now? Well FGS you've answered your own bloody question.
It's like talking to guys brains the size of peas.

And just so you know nvidia cards DO have 1.0-1.4 VS specifications on them which are accessable via the nv_vp_1_x under OpenGL 1.5; they were put in there but never made a standard by Microsoft in DirectX... and as they weren't shared technology unlike the major specifications 1.0 - 1.1 - 1.3(NV) - 1.4(ATI) - 2.0 this is why,
This is also why the FX cards have 3.0 & 3.x varations in them which are again ONLY accessable via OpenGL by the Microsoft ones aren't and why the specification is being dropped so we will only have, 1.x 2.x & 4.x come DirectX10.

And why would you put a Physics engine for Shader use?
PERHAPS BECAUSE YOU HAVE DIRECT LEVEL INTERACTION

You can do physics based on any state of the vertex and polygons available as well as the shader etended effects suchas Per-Pixel-Lighting giving you greater Physics and Dynamics control. Or did that slip you idiots by?

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2004 12:44
Quote: "I swear you people are just so mind numblingly stupid. You think the Site's information is correct, look at what they've written in the Bio for the company.
Havok was create in 1983 by blah blah ... yet you've discovered there is a second trading name (with a company prefix)."

1983?
"Havok was founded in 1998 by Hugh Reynolds and Steven Collins and has its origins in the computer science department of Trinity College Dublin, Ireland."
And it's called POSTfix.

Quote: "And YES you legally MUST denote a company prefix if you wish to trade and legally copyright stuff. Without that Legal seal that you are an actual registered company it can be argued that you are trading illegally."

No you CAN. And it's called POSTfix.

Quote: "and Neo... developer.nvidia.com/forum"

Page Not Found.

Quote: "Really this is pointless, if either of you have actually bothered to do any serious homework you'd know that
Middleware Ltd (not Middle ware who occupy www.middleware.com) is the trading name that Ipion was released under, it is also what Havok was released under."

Have to agree there, it is pointless.
1) Middleware.com is occupied by BEA.
2) Ipion was a company based in Munich that was bought by Telekinesys.
"Telekinesys today announced the acquisition of Ipion of Munich, a leading physics provider. The move signifies a major consolidation of the physics market. The new company trading under the Havok brand will be based in Palo Alto, Munich and Dublin."

Quote: "Havok2 has been released under a new trading name (which IS NOT HAVOK, do your legal checks you idiots!). "

But?

Quote: "And you wanted to know WHY they don't go by the name Middleware now? Well FGS you've answered your own bloody question."

Where?

Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2004 18:31
@Raven

"I'd suggest you morons actually do a registered company search before you start."

Now I know I have you beat when you call me names, Raven. You're such a sore loser.

"I swear you people are just so mind numblingly stupid. You think the Site's information is correct...

blah, blah, blah

... argued that you are trading illegally."

Empty has dealt with these vapid arguments well enough so I'll just cut to the chase.

"and Neo... developer.nvidia.com/forum ... if you can get in there freely then make a post. It is obvious who I am in there.
"Raven Lettan"
"ADMINISTRATOR""

Administrator? That little imagination of yours is getting quite carried away isn't it? But I can see why you choose that though. Its hard to disprove you're an Administrator for a forum that doesn't exist. As empty said, 404 page not found.

"Really this is pointless, if either of you have actually bothered to do any serious homework you'd know that
Middleware Ltd (not Middle ware who occupy www.middleware.com) is the trading name that Ipion was released under, "

Ipion was nevered released under MiddleWare. As empty said, it was acquired by Telekinesys which is the other trading name for Havok. But since you aren't too clever when it comes to research, I think I'll be nice and do it for you.

Quote: "Press Box
Latest Press Release:
12th June, 2000
Havok buy Ipion in consolidation of major physics players

Havok today announced the acquisition of Ipion of Munich, a leading physics provider. The move signifies a major consolidation of the physics market. The new company trading under the Havok brand will be based in Palo Alto, Munich and Dublin.
"

http://oldsite.havok.com/news/releases/12-06-00.html

Also from the above link:
Quote: "With offices in Palo Alto, California, Munich, Germany and Dublin Ireland, Havok is the game technology wing of Telekinesys Research Limited. Havok develop, market and license a comprehensive suite of software products that enable game developers to add real-time dynamism to their game titles."

According to what you said, this would mean that Havok would have bought out a piece of itself if both Ipion and Havok started out under Middleware.

"Havok2 has been released under a new trading name (which IS NOT HAVOK, do your legal checks you idiots!)."

Another one of your fantasies Raven. You weren't even creative enough to come up with a new name this time either. Tsk, tsk. But taken into account the fact that you are being made to look like a fool with your original name creation spree, it probably is best if you lay low on this one.

"Telekinesys come from the university professor who joined Middleware back in 1993, and it was a partnership. So both parties continued trading under the original names."

Yet further proof that you skim over the stuff you read on the net without looking at things in detail.

http://www.telekinesys.com/corporate/history.html
Quote: "Telekinesys Research, founded in 1998 by Hugh Reynolds and Steven Collins, has its origins in the computer science department of Trinity College Dublin, Ireland.
Telekinesys established the 'Havok' brand late in 1999. This wing of the company addresses the entertainment industry. "

Telekinesys was founded by professors in 1998. No mention of a partnership with "MiddleWare" anywhere.

"And you wanted to know WHY they don't go by the name Middleware now? Well FGS you've answered your own bloody question."

Quote: "Raven : Because I'm special - and what the hell do you mean the earth goes round the moon?!?
Someone : I never said that!!
Raven : Yes you did. Right here - "the earth goes round the moon"
Someone : That quote's from you!?"

So F'ing priceless its hysterical.

"And just so you know nvidia cards DO have 1.0-1.4 VS specifications on them which are accessable via the nv_vp_1_x under OpenGL 1.5;"

You're still defending that crap? I thought you gave up when after you had said that the DX help files contained mention of them I linked you to them quoting the a very glaring ommition of them. I guess you are a slow learner.

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_opengl_specs.html
Quote: "NVIDIA OpenGL Extension Specifications
Last Updated: June 12, 2003

All the NVIDIA OpenGL extension specifications in one place. "

Quote: "NV_vertex_program
NV vertex program1_1
NV_vertex_program2""

No mention of Vp 1.2, 1.3, or 1.4 here. You lose again Raven.

I also see that you didn't bother defending that little Cg claim that you made either. Good move on your part, cause if you did I would have very easily proved you wrong(again) and that would have made you look like a major prat what with you telling me to "realise just exactly what the Cg Toolkit and Cg does;".

"This is also why the FX cards have 3.0 & 3.x varations in them which are again ONLY accessable via OpenGL by the Microsoft ones aren't and why the specification is being dropped so we will only have, 1.x 2.x & 4.x come DirectX10."

There would have to be cards capable of 3.0 for there to be extensions for it and there are none. Not suprisingly there are no 3.0 extensions either. Or 3.x for that matter because there was never a specification for 3.x to being with either.

Oh, and don't bother claiming that there is a 3.x either. You know I'll just prove you wrong like I did with all of the others.

As for DX 10, I won't even get into that. There is simply no way that you could know what is in DX 10 becuase even Microsoft doesn't know. The are still in the proposal phase of the specification so its still all up in the air as to what is going to be in and what is going to be left out of the final spec.

"And why would you put a Physics engine for Shader use?
PERHAPS BECAUSE YOU HAVE DIRECT LEVEL INTERACTION"

You have a "direct level of interaction"(or whatever the hell you mean by that) with the CPU. No shaders necessary. The only reason you would use a shader, and I must have said this three or four times so listen closely, is to speed up the calcs of the physics and if your GPU wasn't being taxed too much(if you are running a very shader intensive app, it would probably be faster and more economical to just do some or all of the physics on the CPU and let the GPU concentrate on the visual side of things. Loading your shaders with physics equations would only be straining your instruction count and might prevent you from doing some visual effects).

"You can do physics based on any state of the vertex and polygons available "

You can do that with the CPU as well. Or did that slip by you?

"as well as the shader etended effects suchas Per-Pixel-Lighting giving you greater Physics and Dynamics control."

Per-pixel lighting is not a physics thing. It isn't handled by any of the major physics packages and it shouldn't be either. It is totally unrelated to what physics packages are designed to do. So why are you mentioning it? Are you trying to sound smart? You know that crap won't work with me.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with what you said earlier with the physics being hardwired into the GPU. Don't try this bait and switch crap with me. It just won't work and it gets annoying.

But back to the subject at hand, I take it you've given up on claiming that Karma is owned by Havok? I see you haven't tried spinning any new lies about it, which is a good move on your part because I've pretty much proven that it is owned by Criterion and not Havok/"MiddleWare".

So, any other baseless claims or are you done for the day?
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2004 19:25
Did he honestly think that you wouldn't check that link?!

That you'd just think - oh, well he's slapped "/forum" on the end of the address and he says he's an administrator, he must be telling the truth?

Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2004 19:32
@Chris Knott

I know. Foolish isn't it?

You'd think that he'd learn after a while but it appears not.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2004 22:20
*bump*

Everyone has to see this.

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2004 22:26
You have to be careful, though.
If you bump all these Raven-Moments-Threads the "real" topics will start at page two (or three).

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2004 11:44
I've noticed that Raven has posted recently but conveniently forgot about this thread.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2004 13:09
Quote: "Do you lot get a kick out of trying to prove raven wrong everytime he posts ?"

No I'm, just amazed at people who feel they need to lie to people who they don't even know.

Quote: "Have you made it your life-long obsession or something ?"

Hmmmmmmmm..........

Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2004 17:07
@Chris Knott

"I've noticed that Raven has posted recently but conveniently forgot about this thread."

Not surprising. Raven's been getting smarter lately. He knows when he is beat and beats a hasty retreat far more readily then he used. A year ago this thread would still be going on for probably a few more days if not a week.

@Divide

"Do you lot get a kick out of trying to prove raven wrong everytime he posts ?"

I don't try to prove Raven wrong every time he posts. Christ, if that were the case I'd be here all day and I'd never get any work done.

In fact, I've only really argued with him 3 or 4 times and they were all after he contradicted me in that thread. I have a little self-imposed rule that I won't argue with Raven if he doesn't first argue with me.

I'm not exactly a Raven basher. Hell, I've cut him more slack they I probably should. I can't count the number of times I've seen him post something inane or factually "out there" and held my tounge(or in this case, fingers) becuase of the above mentioned little rule that I have.

So, no Divide, I'm not out to get him. I'm in it for the slight intellectuall challange that it poses.

That and its funny when he gets mad.

"I know some of the things he says sound unbelievable/nonsensical "

Some? Try 90%.

"but he oftenly posts good stuff "

Define "good stuff." If you mean amusingly absurd claims that make one smirk then, yeah, he post a lot of "good stuff".

But, seriously, I'm not against him totally. I have seen him be helpful before, and honestly try to provide some useful(if factually questionable) information. So he's not all bad. Just annoying when he thinks he's right and you are wrong.

"Also this is a forum that everyone can read and I'm sure this kind of 'bring-raven-down' behaviour is getting old now."

It may be old, but its still amusing.

"<watches for the flying moldy fruit>'

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 23:10
Quote: "
and Neo... developer.nvidia.com/forum ... if you can get in there freely then make a post. It is obvious who I am in there.
"Raven Lettan"
"ADMINISTRATOR"
"

You know the best about the web. Forums have a lovely habit of being indexed by search engines, and engines have long memory.

So it's threads like this, that make me wonder how many IT Employers today do online back ground checks.

Kevin Picone
Play Basic - Visible Worlds - Kyruss II
[url]www.underwaredesign.com[/url]
Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 23:28
@UWDesign

"You know the best about the web. Forums have a lovely habit of being indexed by search engines, and engines have long memory.

So it's threads like this, that make me wonder how many IT Employers today do online back ground checks."

Not many if Raven can get a job as Administrator.

But seriously, I don't think many would as few people actually state their full name when they're on the internet. Since I doubt that Raven's first name is "Raven" I don't think it would do any potential employer of him any good to search the net.

Even if said employer did find this place(assuming that Raven had stated his full name here) and he witnessed his antics, all Raven could do was claim it wasn't him and he would probably be in the clear. Names really aren't that unique and there is a good probablity that someone else shares your name and is on the internet as well.

It would be all too easy for mix ups to occur and actual decent people missing out on jobs as a result.
DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2004 20:55
I havn't got a clue what the hell half of this is all about.

-Dave

Your soul...it tastes like chicken

Official Website Coming Soon
Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 04:19
@DivW

"I havn't got a clue what the hell half of this is all about."

I'll fill you in.

First I said:
Quote: "Karma is no more. The Renderware guys gobbled it up. "

This was in response to someone asking about the karma physics engine and why the creators, mathengine, couldn't be reached at their site mathengine.com

Then Raven said:
Quote: "Ireland-based Middleware bought out Cambridge-Based MathEngine in June 2003 for use in thier Physic Engine that is now known as Havok."

and all hell broke loose.

After Raven contradicted me, I posted a link to RenderWare's site stating that they had rights to karma.

Afterwards, Raven said that Criterion, the company behind the Renderware product had bought out MathEngine Inc. and "MiddleWare" which is what he calls Havok, bought out MathEngine Plc. Criterion got "Kea" which after this thread I managed to find out was the early implementation name of Karma, and that "MiddleWare" got the rights to Karma and "Arthur"(He never really did explain what this is). Then he interjected his usual shader talk by stating that a "KarmaFX" is in the works and will be part of the Shader Specification 4.0. And that developer.nvidia.com visitors would recognize this as the recently GPL based FX version of Karma Physics and Dynamics Engine 1.3.0.

I posted countering his claims and questioning the existance of this "MiddleWare" and why he was calling Havok, the company that owns the Havok physics engine, "MiddleWare". Then I pointed out that MathEngine was never bought out by Havok. In fact, it was never bought out by anyone at all. Criterion aquired the IP rights to Karma and works with MathEngine to continue to develop and integrate it into their RenderWare products. I also called him on this whole "KarmaFX" nonsense and questioned the logic of hardwiring physics calculations into a GPU(Which is what he was suggesting when he said that it would be inplemented in the upcoming shader specification). I also asked for a link to this GPL FX version of the Karma Physics engine. I won't leave you in suspense over this one: He never provided a link.

He then began to lose his temper. He started to lecture me on shaders, an ironic occurence since it is usually me schooling him on the subject. He deftly dodged the point of hardwired physics calcs being uneconomical by doing a little slight of hand and changing the subject to shaders used to calculate physics. Now this is a key part here. The subject was originally about wiring the physics calcs into the GPU. An unlikely occurence as GPUs are designed for visuals, not physics, and loading a GPU with physics calcs is going to cost them in the visuals department as all of those circuits could have been put to use toward the visual aspect. What he is talking about is using shaders to perform or speed up the physics calcs which is different because A. It can be done with existing hardware and B. there is no hardwiring or changing of the circuitry involved. This clever little gambit didn't pay off because A. I'm too clever for that and B. I had already mentioned that shaders could be used to speed up physics calcs in my previous post.

After his little shader rant, he started to get a little incoherent, rambling on almost as if to himself. You see, Raven likes to pretend that he knows what he is talking about but in reality he doesn't so he just make stuff up as he goes along. Sometimes you can really tell that his imagination is running out of steam. Take a look at this beauty. Here he is talking about Cg(C for graphics):
Quote: "It was to allow programmer to code as in coding in C itself, whilst the interaction level between Cg and C actually allows them to interlink quite happily."

You can almost visualize him desperately grasping for some intelligent sounding words to make himself feel superior with that one.

Of coarse, no Raven rant would be complete without some baseless claims about his favorite intellectual bauble, Shaders. He claims that Cg 1.2 will contain pointers. All though eventually shaders will contain pointers eventually its a bit too soon to say that Cg 1.2 will contain them. It will most likely be in the next DirectX and I doubt that Nvidia will wait that long to get their next version of the Cg API out.

But, Anyway, one last parting shot before the end of his post is made. When I expressed disbelief about the GPL version of KarmaFX being on developer.nvidia.com I mentioned that I go there near daily and that I hadn't seen it. He proceeded to ask how long I had been registared there and what my forum name was.

After that empty entered the fray and provided some interesting information. It appears that Havok was property of both Havok and Telekinesis Research Limited.

In my next post I did a little background checking and found out Telekinsys owned Havok and that Telekinsys provided the more mainstream version of the physics engine while Havok was the entertainment wing that had a physics engine for games.

After dealing with that, I got to debunking Raven's riduculous claims and having a bit of a laugh while I was doing. I also mentioned that you don't have to be registared to access developer.nvidia.com and I provided a link proving so. So his earlier questions about registering and what my forum name was was non-sense. I won't get into the specifics. You can probably read those yourself and this post is getting pretty long as is. I'll skip to the good part though, Raven's last post.

Raven really blows his lid in this one calling us "morons", "mind numbingly stupid" and that we have the brain the size of a pea. You have to read this one yourself as it is just priceless. The real kicker is where he claims to be the Adminstrator for a forum that doesn't exist.

The only thing that tops that in sheer entertainment factor is when I expose, yet again, all of his wild and outrageous claims as the utter BS that they are.

Some to sum up:
1. I posted that Karma was aquired by Criterion
2. Raven contradicted me
3. I posted proof
4. Raven ranted non-sense
5. I refuted Raven's non-sense continuing to press the point about Karma's real owner
6. Raven loses his cool and starts calling me names make even more outrageous lies in an attempt to bluff me into backing down from his "superior" intellect
7. I debunk him again and press him further showing some very glaring evidence that he just can't ignore
8. then he disappears only to post once more in this forum and not return since.

The rest is just idle cross talk not necessarily related to this thread. Like this post for example.

Anyway, that's the jist of it. Its just another classic Raven thread thats all.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 07:30:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 07:30:41