Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Homeworld II is out (review type thingy)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 13:41 Edited at: 28th Jan 2004 21:52
and so far I am not that impressed, the neat minimal interface has been replaced by a thing that you have to keep sending away every time you accesse a function and wants half the screen, the graphics have some small improvements.
They added targetable subsections to the enemy ships that don`t add anything to the gameplay, since destroying the production facility on a carrier has about the same effect gameplay-wise as destroying it (DUH!)
The learning curve has been steepened and maybe it`s just me but by the third mission so much was haapening so fast I lost handsomely too many enemies and too few resources.
You can now move the mothership, but you still have this stupid thing where failing a mission just means you have to replay the level until you pass, why not just make the game more difficult from then on?, you don`t get allowed to harvest all available resources and complete repairs and rebuilds before moving on either, you just get launched into the next level...ready or not.
The new interface is a pain, not as intuitive as the old one (or is it just the clicks are built into my spinal column from hours of homeworld/cataclysm play?), but it definitly seems to be an in your face event, it seems to be fighting with the game for eye appeal or something.
The cut scenes are slightly better (WOW!) but the story sounds like something they drafted for the original Homeworld and discarded, you lose Higarra on level 2, kind of makes you the lone fugitive again, I am expecting a junkyard and a mysterious nebulae to make their appearance shortly <sarcasm> [EDIT...they did!! ]
compared to the original Homeworld, there does not seem to be several years of work in it, the interface issue spoils what was a game where you could admire your fleets in action, pulling it from watching a movie to playing a game, and fleet command want gagging, always butting in with banal information (the aliens are attacking...you must destroy them all, the aliens have corvets..you must destroy them all, the aliens have hyperspace gates,,,you mus...yeah! right! we get the idea ), and the guy who did the voice sounds so disinterested and talks so slow I swear he just OD`d on valium.
As far as I have got, I am starting to find it an issue to find the interest to go any further, formulaic is a word that springs to mind, as is the phrase "drags on a bit", I will proceed a while longer, but the first sign of mysterious nebulae I have to go through (why?...space is threeD) or abandoned alien ships surrounded with "dead" space craft and it gets filed on the shelf and forgotten.

Mentor.

System spec : Pentium 3.0Ghz, 512MB DDR, 2x160Gb HD (using icewave hd coolers ), DVD RW/CD RW (all modes), multimedia front panel, 6 way surround sound, ATI radeon 9800Pro 128mb.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 13:45
Is there still a Star Wars mod?
That was cool.

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 21:50 Edited at: 28th Jan 2004 21:59
well...just got to the final level, and the whole game was as boring as hell, the plot is non-existant and/or stupid (you appear to be worshipping discarded spacecraft from a race that built their main ships several miles in diameter for some reason), most parts are (not so) cunningly disguised rehashes of levels from the original, (supernova station for eg), and if I had seen any more indestructable alien spacecraft I would have screamed, even the finale has indestructable spacecraft.
After fighting your way across the galaxy to aquire this Sajuck spacecraft, then dumping the mothership and taking it into battle, what do you think you find?, this awesome superweapon that had the Bentusi committ racial suicide in order to allow you a chance to find it is about as much use as a paper shovel

here`s some specs
top speed - 3mph (maybe less)
armour - some (but not indistructable or very "hard" compared to other ships)
main weapon - electric toaster (or something like that)...takes ages to recharge and has very little effect on the (indestructable to normal fire) orbital platforms.

these platforms are destroying Higgara with atmospheric deprivation devices, you have to stop these devices with your 12 or so fighter groups that insist on doing anything but destroying the <expletive deleted> missiles, they fight with anything but DON`T attack what you ordered them too, leaving the player to switch `em from passive to aggresive over and over.
worth buying if you want to know how NOT to follow a game up, definitley the biggest waste of cash I have managed so far this year and no visible improvements in any aspect of the game, worth losing the main ship just to have the satisfaction of knowing you finaly got rid of that stoopid fleet command guy though (if thats a recomendation)

Mentor.

PS: thankfully there was no Starwars mod on the disk, if there was it would have starred Jar Jar Binks

System spec : Pentium 3.0Ghz, 512MB DDR, 2x160Gb HD (using icewave hd coolers ), DVD RW/CD RW (all modes), multimedia front panel, 6 way surround sound, ATI radeon 9800Pro 128mb.
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2004 06:17
WHAT homeworld 2 kicked ass...

Quote: "They added targetable subsections to the enemy ships that don`t add anything to the gameplay, since destroying the production facility on a carrier has about the same effect gameplay-wise as destroying it (DUH!)"

this is true, I give you that one.

Quote: "The learning curve has been steepened and maybe it`s just me but by the third mission so much was haapening so fast I lost handsomely too many enemies and too few resources."

Use the pause button, it helps alot (and despite popular belief, its not cheating)

Quote: "you don`t get allowed to harvest all available resources and complete repairs and rebuilds before moving on either, you just get launched into the next level...ready or not."

Uhh, the computer automatically does it for you. Have you noticed it always says "Resouceses Collected" at the end of the level?

Quote: "the interface issue spoils what was a game where you could admire your fleets in action, pulling it from watching a movie to playing a game"

Uhh, the UI isnt that bad. You can minimize the interface if you would like to, in order to admire the massive battles...

Quote: "you have to stop these devices with your 12 or so fighter groups that insist on doing anything but destroying the <expletive deleted> missiles, they fight with anything but DON`T attack what you ordered them too, leaving the player to switch `em from passive to aggresive over and over."

Uhh I think that this is a case of user error, because all of my fleet does exactally what I want it to (with the exception of the slow moving "Pride of Higarra")

Amist the Blue Skies...
Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2004 06:35
I've never played it. My opinion means sh*t here. And everywhere else I go, too

Then comes tomorrow and you're a little shorter of your breath and one day closer to your death...
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2004 22:38 Edited at: 30th Jan 2004 22:46
@abomb12...no user error, the original had the same tendency, if you leave em alone for a few secs and they have killed what was highlighted they break off and start fighting with anything else they may have come across, then you find em way out of position cos they where chaseing after a resourcer (duh!) they just don`t follow orders (supercruisers especialy like to chase things and get blown up instead of returning to base for repairs as ordered), if the game was real life half the command staff would be in the brig, they even fight when ordered to stand down.

It was not just the pace of the game (although I do like to think things out and develop strategies) but the sheer amount of enemies compared to resources, and granted it does indeed say resources collected (noticed after the post was made), but that still doesn`t give you time to impliment repairs and build replacements before the next level, the whole thing was pushing you along and the plot was ridiculous, just where do nomads get three indestructable mothership sized planet killers from?, the local second hand store?, and if they can build them then why aren`t their normal craft indestructable too?

I didn`t think it was an improvement over the original Homeworlds, it was worse in almost every respect, they should have fixed the instant fadeout of distant craft so you could see the mothership from large distances for example, more units and a better plot would have helped too, just forcing the player to follow paths in 3D space because you can does not make for a good game, to me it looked mostly like a lightly tweaked engine with a garish interface slapped on it, oh well, still got Doom III and Halflife II to look forwards too.

I hope they turn out better than all the other lackluster sequels and highly praised games I have suffered, like Unreal II, The Thing, Quake arena, Outcast, Return to castle Wolfenstien, Black and White, Messiah, Dues ex and now Homeworld II, theres a lack of zip to all these (admitedly, technicaly very clever) games, gone are the days when I would only save a game in order to go to work, or spend all weekend (no sleep allowed) conquring the universe or building a fuedal empire, modern games are getting boring.

I want to play the next civilisation, populous, lemmings, worms, cannon fodder, gauntlet, sim city or whatever, games that made sleep an unwanted guest, that made you wonder how on earth they could think of such things, and the attainment of the next level something to look forwards too, maybe 3d has too many cloned enemies and lookalike buildings that seem to have been patroled by fanatical cleaners who leave not a leaf or spec of dust anywhere, and manic warehousemen who leave boxes strewn all over the place with next to nothing in them.

Originality and variety is what I want, not advanced physics engines and per pixel super shaders with bells on, you can keep the physics engine as long as the game makes me lose two or three nights sleep, and finds me slumped over the keyboard one morning with QWERTY stamped across my forehead, THEN I know they have gone back to making good games

Mentor.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 05:37:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 05:37:31