Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Beginner's Guide to DarkBasic Game Programming

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am just starting to learn DarkBasic. Is this book really good. I was thinking of buying it.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 22:27
My opinion, I hate all the books that publisher has done. Never complete explanations, assumes you know to much from the beginning. I haven't seen the DB book, but I've bought their AI and beginning DX programming books, and I didn't find either of them very helpful. If the book teaches basic programming structure and logic from the start, then I'd say go ahead and get it if this is your first language.

"eureka" - Archimedes
Renegade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 22:46
Read the comments at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1592000096/qid=1075063406/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/102-1151863-7596950

I heard that this book is more introduction to game programming
then introduction to DarkBasic programming but I personly never
read it.
Doomwad
Years of Service
User Offline
i read it. it was okay... nothing to great. the only chapter I have used so far is the second to last one on 3d stuff. everything else truly is for BEGINNERS. it starts off at text stuff. ten chapters later into 2d stuff. 5 chapters later you finally get to 3d stuff (no game included). And then the book ends with a multiplayer chapter. okay... but not worth fifty bucks. also, mainly assumes you have darkBasic proffesional.
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 22:56
I bought it and found it fairly useful.
I disagree with doomwad though,
Quote: "mainly assumes you have darkBasic proffesional"
I would say for the most part it is for DBC users. Certainly the help file on the CD is for DBC commands only, there are no DBP ones in there.

The one chapter that I found extremely helpful was the multiplayer chapter. It talks you through creating an online multiplayer game.

If you are a complete beginner then I would say this book is great, if however, you are slightly more advanced then you will only find one or two chapters helpful.

Overall, IMHO, not worth the asking price. If you can find it on a sale somewhere for 50% off then it would be worth it.

Vasily Zaitsev
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the feedback. I don't consider myself an "advanced programmer". So i guess I will get it. Won't hurt anything seeing as though I can return it. And I was just reading around and found some people prefer BlitzBasic. Is it better or completely different?
Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2004 05:49 Edited at: 26th Jan 2004 05:50
It is just different. Blitz3D compares with DarkBasic Pro but I am not overly impressed with the games shown in the gallery which are most likely from BlitzBasic (No #D support I think), at least visually. It is still Basic; the language format is just different is all.

You can try both DP classic, Pro and Blitz as all of them have demos available. Remember that the demos for both DB apps are from older versions and are more powerful now.

Only you can decide what is right for you.

Wasting CPU Cycles since the 286 was a hot machine.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 19:08:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 19:08:28