Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Create or Play?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2004 08:52
I've been thinking about this lately... and I've noticed that instead of playing games, I'm making them. Now about 3 years ago, I enjoyed gaming to the greatest extent possible. Every chance I'd get. But now, it seems like it take a very interesting game to keep my attention on it. Now it seems as if I would rather make games/apps that play/use them. So what do you enjoy more, playing the games, or making the games?

Just a thought.

P4 2.4Ghz HT, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 128MB, 19" Viewsonic, 80GB HD, 48x12X48 CD-RW, 16X DVD-ROM

http://www.frostyle.com
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I haven't played a game for ages, except Mario Kart on the GameCube. I prefer making them at the moment.

Pincho.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2004 13:59
When I started programming I still played games about 90% of the time and 10% programming. Now it's the other way around and it's a very weird feeling. I think this is because I'm the type of person who has to re-invent the wheel and this is very time consuming.

Also, I find a great satifaction from using my brain and making something creative.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2004 15:38 Edited at: 27th Jan 2004 15:41
I only really play games on the X-Box or PS2, and when I do play games on my PC, they tend to be through and emulator and about 10 years old!.

I find creating stuff much more rewarding, I reckon I have some form of ADD, because I need something that keeps me thinking or I get bored easily. When making games your often just messing around with what you have, I think that's the most fun. When you get your AI started for instance, the first time your AI kills you it's an enormous buzz, the kind of buzz that most of us crave and the kind of buzz you can only really get with this type of hobby once you reach a certain level (like after releasing your first propper game).

I think that truly playable games still grab our attention, but how many of you have went out and bought a supposedly great PC game, installed it, played it once, then never looked at it again?. I tend to play co-op split-screen games mainly, because even if the game sucks, you can still play it with a mate and discover different ways to play it (like the run-me-down game in Halo for instance).

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Both...but until i learn to make a game i guess its playing them =)

Soon to have a Asus motherboard with 64 bit CPU and the works weeeee!
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2004 23:39 Edited at: 28th Jan 2004 18:27
The only game I play now is Fallout Tactics. Was addicted to GunBound, but I quit that cold turkey and sold off/gave away all my gear. So, I'm definately in the coding/modelling camp than the gamer camp.
--
TAZ

[edit for typos]

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2004 23:40
create, create, create... fail! give up! get a girlfriend, stop creating and playing, realise you are poor and have to stop going out every weekend, create, create, create...

works for me

GO TO THE ETERNAL DESTINY FORUMS!!! http://forums.eternaldestinyonline.com
Do it now!!!
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The only game I play now is Fallout Tactics"

That games replay value is super high! and it rocks your boxorz!
but fallout 1 and 2 both have super duper high values as if you go exploring for new citys and stuff in Fall out tatics you will only find random encounters you can only find citys during missions =( but the random encounters are cool especially if they have ammo or good guns after you make them into minced meat.

Soon to have a Asus motherboard with 64 bit CPU and the works weeeee!
Represent
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 18:14 Edited at: 28th Jan 2004 18:15
I usually create then play games

The only games I have been playing were Simpson's Road Rage, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, & Operation Genocide.

That may seem like a lot but to me that is nothing.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 18:24 Edited at: 28th Jan 2004 18:25
I like the tactical games. Ever play Blue Byte's Incubation? I'd love to make a DBP clone of that one. It would make a good CRPG battle engine as well.
--
TAZ

Represent
Years of Service
User Offline
I never even heard of Blue Byte's Incubation. Is it really good?
Is it an American game???

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 19:07
I have so many game ideas that I would go mad if I didn't do something about it. I haven't played a lot of games lately. Partly because I have been watching anime instead. Nowdays I spend most time in forums and developing games or workin on my sites (got a community site comming up).

waffle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 19:43
Create --- play solitair ----- Model ---- play minsweeper

Surf GameSpy or FilePlanet play demo
Create ---- play new demo --- fix computer from being too full of demos

play solitair and repeate

Still bummed that I tried T3DGM demo on 2 PC and still can't get it to work right. DBC and DBPro work fine though

create

internet gaming group
current project http://home.comcast.net/~norman.perry/Archon.html
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 21:48 Edited at: 28th Jan 2004 21:49
Blue Byte is a German company although they made a number of English language games.

The graphics are a little dated, but at the time it was a hoot. Being a turn based game with animated models gave it a gritty battle feel.

http://www.bluebyte.net/eng/products/incubation/index.htm

http://www.bluebyte.net/eng/products/incubation-mission/index.htm

The one big flaw with Inc is that Blue Byte missed the mod scene. Sure they have a mission editor, but the models are are hard coded into the engine.
--
TAZ

Represent
Years of Service
User Offline
I have that game!!! Or at least had it. I remember checking out the site and playing the game. I am getting it right now...

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2004 00:25
When you were talking about your mecha CRPG earlier, I thought of an extended version of Incubation as the battle engine: turn based 3D with idle, attack, and death animations. Not that impossible to do with DBP and still having its own cool factor.
--
TAZ

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 05:37:54
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 05:37:54