Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Righty, Own up

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2004 13:35
Own up. How many of you out there have worked on Commercially Released Games? I've picked up from place to place that certain people have worked on big Commercial games, ones that are pretty well known. So who out there has? From memory, i remember Pincho and Van B mentioned working on a game, i think Pincho said he worked on an R-type game. And someone said they worked on Need For Speed the other day i think. Plus, i remember someone saying they were working on a Knight game for the Gamecube which looked quite good. So just how many people out there have worked on full commercial games?

Your soul...it tastes like chicken

Official Website Coming Soon
DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2004 13:37
This doesn't count Non-existant consoles, sorry to certain forum peeps...

-Dave

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2004 13:44
yeah i worked on one, you know that real popular one that absolutely rocked, yeah that one i helped concept on it.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2004 14:08
Pincho has probably worked on more commercial games than anyone here, he was a graphics artist for Epic back in the day. If you don't know, Epic made those great olympic event games as well as a lot of arcade conversions like R-Type2 for instance. IMO the Bitmap Brothers were always the kings of 16-bit graphics, but I do still like the odd blast on R-Type, and I must say that the graphics are very cool compared to the usual tripe we got back then.

I've never worked on a commercial game, I beta tested T3DGM along with about 30 other people, and I've done voice overs for a commercial project - but that's my lot. Ohh, I heard that there was gonna be a screenshot of VSD Tracker on the German DBP packaging, but I don't know - anyone seen the German packaging?.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I worked for Arc Developments, Epyx, and NMS Software. I was a 2D graphic Artist/Animator. I worked on games for Activision, Ocean, Microprose, and US Gold. Games were for Amiga, Atari St, PC, and some handhelds that I can't remember the name of. Oh and I did something for the Megadrive, a biker game, but I never saw it finished.

Pincho.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2004 15:50
Well, I haven't yet but someday I hope to.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2004 17:54 Edited at: 27th Jan 2004 17:54
Quite a resume Pincho .

Raven worked at Westwood I think.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2004 18:30
Nope, your confusing Westwood with McDonalds.

(my first little dig at Raven this year!)

Van-B

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Nope, your confusing Westwood with McDonalds"

LOL! I laughed so hard when I read that!

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2004 19:31 Edited at: 27th Jan 2004 20:07
Quote: "I've never worked on a commercial game, I beta tested T3DGM along with about 30 other people, and I've done voice overs for a commercial project but that's my lot. Ohh, I heard that there was gonna be a screenshot of VSD Tracker on the German DBP packaging, but I don't know - anyone seen the German packaging?."

Van B, are you talking about what's written on this page, because it sounds interesting. Just thought about buying it ... but I think I will wait a year. As a student I don't get payed, so there is a lack of money (added to the fact, I bought some expensive programms, which increases the hole in my wallet)

"Begin at the beginning, and go on till you come to the end: then stop." - Lewis Carroll
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2004 19:59
This whole time I thought Pinco was a bit wierd...his posts were of a drunk's quality...sorry man!

(I was wondering where that kick ass Barricadium logo came from )

DB generation: http://www.excaver.com/dbg
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Matrix Reformated
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2004 20:34
I worked on programming for NHL 2004.

Did some brief QA for Need For Speed Underground, NBA Live 2004, Madden 2004, NCAA Football 2004, and NCAA Basketball 2004.

In a few months I'll be starting on NHL 2005.

Ancient Chinese proverb: Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

http://www.automatongames.com/
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2004 21:45 Edited at: 27th Jan 2004 21:46
I'm a hobbyist by choice, but I was offered a designer/developer gig with WildTangent back when I was evangelizing for them. [I actually won several game contests and even got a free pass to the GDC where I put in some face time.]

I designed and coded the battle engine for Fire on the Suns, a PBEM space empire wargame. So, I do have a commercial title under my belt even if it is for a niche market. I've also designed/written/illustrated games such as Tactical Command 2nd edition, the FOTS source book for TCOM2, and the Cluster War campaign rules. The plan is to convert them into computer titles after I finish VirMin, my first major DBP project.
--
TAZ

For the really curious:
http://zircher.iwarp.com/tcom2.htm
http://www.geocities.com/tzircher/tcom_gallery.htm

Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
all my games are ones that i me n my workmate say "this is gonna be made to commercial quality" and then half way through we get bored and decide to do something else, or that our EXP (lol) has gone up so much that we wasted our time on it cos now we cud do the same inhalf the time

www.tinnedhead.tk watch this space for the first ever calculator to show the working out. also look out for our first game- ww.exor-mk1.tk
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "This whole time I thought Pinco was a bit wierd...his posts were of a drunk's quality...sorry man!"

WTF??? LOL!

I thought my posts were the only ones that made much sense!

Afterall......Pinco???

Pincho.

AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2004 23:49 Edited at: 27th Jan 2004 23:49
I had/have an internship at papyrus racing games. Now im looking for work in boston area.

The only published title I have contributed to is nascar racing 2003 season.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 02:40
Oh, I beta tested Dragon Empires, but who cares about that. lol.

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 02:43
I beta tested for Humongous Entertainment for a few years

a
DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 02:47
Pincho, u do have a good history. Ocean is a name i havn't heard in a while! What ever happened to them?

Mc Donalds...heh heh...my second post was refering to the DB console, backed up by the same person.

-Dave

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 03:10
Quote: "I beta tested for Humongous Entertainment for a few years"

First I've heard of a company ever hiring a 9 year old. o_O

Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 04:00
I played a comercially released game before, which is similiar

I remember Mr. Nutz from OCEAN

Then comes tomorrow and you're a little shorter of your breath and one day closer to your death...
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
A lot of companies merged. Sega and Nintendo had rules that involved some direct partnership with them, and so Ocean being the middle man, was either missed out from the deal, or financed the deal, but couldn't use their name on the packaging. All I know for sure is that all the big names dissapeared at the same time. Except for Psygnosis, which has had a long run, but I haven't seen a Psygnosis game for awhile now.

Pincho.

DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 16:41
Psygnosis! I remember them as well...vaguely...where have they been all this time? What happened to our champions of old?

-Dave

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 17:00
Quote: "First I've heard of a company ever hiring a 9 year old. o_O"

That's exactly what I was thinking!
Another thing, I'm sure you have to be 13 to use web forums, right?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 18:24
Ocean made a lot of movie tie-ins, but some really nice games nontheless - I reckon my favourite all time Ocean game must be Head Over Heels.

Psygnosis always published stylish games, the graphics were always cool and the packaging all had a similar style, sorta modern gothic. Lemmings was published by Psygnosis, probably their most successful title, even though it was by them dudes up in Dundee (DMA). The Shadow of the Beast series was also really cool. I remember a weird little guy running around in a platform style game - and the name always escapes me. For some reason the name Pincho seems to fit him (I'm sure it's something like that), sorta teardrop shaped fella that could stack items to climb higher - there was a really awesome physics engine and the graphics were great. I reckon 'Pincho' was one of their last console games.

Van-B

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 19:20
Wow, the memories! Shadow of the Beast was probably the first game I purchased with my own money... around 1990 or 91 for my Atari 1040ST. I also purchased some paint program that let you make animations. I remember the store in Vancouver was the only Atari store perhaps in my province

Psygnosis--- I remember their cool PS game Wipeout XL. DMA Design made Lemmings? Aren't they the guys that also developed the Grand Theft Auto series??

Ancient Chinese proverb: Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

http://www.automatongames.com/
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 20:16 Edited at: 28th Jan 2004 20:27
Psygnosis have only recently dissapeared. Wipeout, and Destruction Derby Raw were on PS1, then there was a Wipeout on PS2. This is quite recent. I searched for their site and I was sent here. Reading about Psygnosis, it says that they were bought out by Eidos Interactive, and then joined the Sony Group.

http://uk.playstation.com/home/home01_generic.jhtml?locale=en_GB

UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
I helped beta test a game called project entropia but that game sucks now and i still play it cuz of the addictiveness of it and its gold now even though it shouldnt be.

I have more website experience then game making/testing experience. Even though i'v never used a template for a site because i useually just code and make the graphics and then do the align left command or something heh.

The search continues.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2004 10:35
Doh! - not Pincho - PUGGSY!

Van-B

DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2004 14:42 Edited at: 29th Jan 2004 14:43
DMA made Body Harvest for the N64. A great game let down by its graphics. Yeah im sure they are also behind GTA. -Dave

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2004 15:02
Yeah DMA are responsible for the GTA series, as well as Lemmings, and an old Amiga classic called Walker, one of the first games to use the mouse and cursor keys for the controls.

Scottish too - which just goes to show that all the best people come from Scotland .

Van-B

Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2004 16:19
No, the best people come from your mind, because no one is more perferct then the guy with a chainsa chasing you throughout your house

Then comes tomorrow and you're a little shorter of your breath and one day closer to your death...
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2004 16:46
Pfft... All the good chainsaw wielding maniacs are already taken.

sip

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 05:38:14
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 05:38:14