Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Screensaver glitches...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, so I made my screensaver in DB (not DBP), animated, textured sounds etc etc... and I compiled it and then changed the name extension to SCR.

It works but it's clunky as hell though. The screen speed is okay but firstly it takes an age to load - I get a black screen for up to ten seconds. It's 2.8 meg, though so that's not a surprise.
The main thing that is bothering me is that when I use it as a screensaver it resizes Photoshop to 640x480 and kills Studio MAX - basically MAX is white when I return to the desktop and requires me to exit and restart it.

Is this a problem with the DB engine or are there exit commands I can use to make it close down nicely?

Crow
waffle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 10:54
you should provide more info ...
I'll guess your using WinXP with a 32MB card?
It could be a DirectX issue. DirectX does not like to share with multiple apps and so 3DS will have some issues.

The initial load time is definately a DB issue. You can do some things to hide it, like a load a bitmap on the first line and show that while loading the rest of the game.

The crappy screen in 3DS after your screen saver is an indication that the data in your 3D card was currupted. This is why I think its a DirextX issue. When DB places data into the card and then exits, the 3DS data is lost too.

internet gaming group
current project http://home.comcast.net/~norman.perry/Archon.html
Scarecrow
Years of Service
User Offline
My home machine uses WIN98 with a 1.8G processor, 128M RAM and a 12M graphics card!!!

My work machine uses WIN2000 with 785M RAM GeForce 4 graphics card and an Athlon processor - no idea what speed but pretty decent.

Crow
Scarecrow
Years of Service
User Offline
So if it's a DirectX problem, then I guess there's no way round it. DB is to all intents and purposes useless as a screensaver program - at least if you use 3D apps.

Shame.

Crow

Scarecrow
Artist XG3 XGRA
Acclaim Studios Cheltenham
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 21:34 Edited at: 28th Jan 2004 21:39
I'll strongly disagree with that. I really enjoy my DBP written screen saver and I don't experience the nasty effects described above.

Here's a tip, start up your screen saver as a hidden program. This allows it to load without jerking the screen around as much. When the resources are loaded and the program is ready, you then make it visible.
--
TAZ

You can find my screen saver shell here:
http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=19729&b=1

Scarecrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool!

How do I do that?

Remember I'm using DB - not DB Pro.

Also, how do you get around the DirectX problem?

Crow

Scarecrow
Artist XG3 XGRA
Acclaim Studios Cheltenham

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 18:53:50
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 18:53:50