Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / A simple text question to you, a frustrating bug to me...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

I was playing around with some code from the codebase and came up with the code that is attached to this post.

My problem is I can't get text to display on the screen at all in the loop. I've tried both the "Print" and "Text" commands but they do nothing. I've tried turning the backdrop off and doing it but then I not only end up with no text, I also end up any 3d object that passes in front of where the backdrop should be kind of gluing itself to the backdrop(which is turned off).

I know there are other posts about this problem in the forum, I searched for them but I couldn't come up with a working solution to my problem. If it's there I guess I just missed it or something.

Also I can't display 2d images onto the screen either.

If anyone has any information on how to go about fixing these problems I would very much appreciate the effort, thanks.

_./-''-._
| Sieg |
-:_.._/:-
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 11:42
Havent had time to try the code but maybe it could be something to do with the order the things are drawn. Try using the DRAW TO FRONT command which Draws 2D after the 3D, DRAW TO BACK does it the other way round.

Jas
waffle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 12:15
I examined the source... Are you sure this is the right one?

1 - I saw no print or text commands

2 - the only 2D command I saw was texture backdrop

Please restate exactly the nature of the problem with
cade that duplicates the problem.

internet gaming group
current project http://home.comcast.net/~norman.perry/Archon.html
Delacroix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 13:02 Edited at: 28th Jan 2004 13:38
Quote: "Havent had time to try the code but maybe it could be something to do with the order the things are drawn. Try using the DRAW TO FRONT command which Draws 2D after the 3D, DRAW TO BACK does it the other way round."

I just tried that, still won't work. And I've included it in this altered version of the code above.

Quote: "I examined the source... Are you sure this is the right one?

1 - I saw no print or text commands

2 - the only 2D command I saw was texture backdrop

Please restate exactly the nature of the problem with
cade that duplicates the problem."

You can duplicate the problem by placing the print,text,paste image commands anywhere in the loop, it won't show up. Also if you turn the backdrop off you'll see what I mean by it glueing objects to the backdrop.

I've included the same source as above but with some print,text and paste image commands. Also note that this is DBC code.

_./-''-._
| Sieg |
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2004 20:49
put your text or sync commands right before the sync....eg

blah
blah
text 100,100,"here I am!!"
sync
loop

will work fine, 3d has priority and will overwrite anything else on the screen, so do the "anything else" last and then sync.

Mentor.

System spec : Pentium 3.0Ghz, 512MB DDR, 2x160Gb HD (using icewave hd coolers ), DVD RW/CD RW (all modes), multimedia front panel, 6 way surround sound, ATI radeon 9800Pro 128mb.
Delacroix
Years of Service
User Offline
Nope, not working either.

_./-''-._
| Sieg |
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2004 20:52
Hi,

Not sure If this will be of help!
But when i was trying 3D stuff I found out that you had to state where something was in the 3D world you are using.

This might help or not or point someone else to something.

P.S. what was the file called in codebase so that one can get the bit maps for it.

In Space No One can Hear You Scream! (When your comm Line is cut?)
Delacroix
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "But when i was trying 3D stuff I found out that you had to state where something was in the 3D world you are using.
"

Umm... thanks, for your input...

I forget what it was called, and I think I've added some of them together though so it's more than one. The bitmaps aren't from the codebase they're from the DB cd. All except the lightning texture, I made that myself.

If someone could just try to run this code(and just use different textures or whatever you have) and see if you are having the same problem I am with the text and images not showing up on the screen when placed in the loop I would greatly appreciate it since then I would know if it's anything to do with DB.

Thanks to everyone so far for trying anyway.

_./-''-._
| Sieg |
Axelman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2004 07:57
try using the print command outside of the loop
this probably won't help though.

if it doesn't work then start a whole new project and just type in one thing

print "whatever"

nothing right in my left brain:nothing left in my right brain
Delacroix
Years of Service
User Offline
It works outside of the loop but of course that doesn't help me any....

_./-''-._
| Sieg |
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2004 13:08
it does work here, you havent set the ink to black or something have you?, black ink on a black background doesn`t show at all <lol>, heres a test snippet

sync on:sync rate 0
for i=1 to 200
make object sphere i,rnd(3)
position object i,rnd(100)-50,rnd(100)-50,rnd(100)-50
color object i,rgb(rnd(255),rnd(255),rnd(255))
next i
set text size 40
ink rgb(255,0,0),0
do
turn camera left 1
text 100,100,"HERE I AM!"
set cursor rnd(500),rnd(500)
print "Heres me as well!"
sync
loop

if that displays the text "here I am!" and a line of text that hops about all over the screen saying "heres me as well" then the problem is most probably with your code, this works fine here, you may need to re-install, cheers

Mentor.

System spec : Pentium 3.0Ghz, 512MB DDR, 2x160Gb HD (using icewave hd coolers ), DVD RW/CD RW (all modes), multimedia front panel, 6 way surround sound, ATI radeon 9800Pro 128mb.
Delacroix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2004 18:55 Edited at: 1st Feb 2004 19:06
Ok, thanks for letting me know. Yes, I'm sure I'm not trying to write black text on a black backdrop lol. And that snippet does work for me so I guess it's gotta be my code. I don't know why it's doing that though. Does anyone have an idea as to what it could be?

_./-''-._
| Sieg |

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 18:31:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 18:31:27