Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Changing fonts without syncing screen

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2004 01:10
Attached is an example code. You'll notice that there are a couple REM SYNC commands in there. If I test the program in DB it works fine. If I export it and play it, the middle line of text tries to appear twice on the screen - flashing between the size/font it should be, and the size/font of the next line. Considering it's not in the loop itself, i don't know why it's flashing, but it looks like it gets confused seeing multiple font settings before the screen syncs and tries to do both of them. When I unRem the extra sync commands, it works fine, but I can't have a dozen syncs later on in the main loop (where I print things like object positions & scores) because it slows down way too much.

Any idea why it does this? In html I'd use a </font> or something, but I don't see any solution in DB.

More importantly, this is for a Middle School programming curriculum we're making, so I'd rather have a solution that is simpler to teach (don't change font sizes and use an image for the title) rather than an elaborate code which works but would be too much to teach to beginners.

Hope to hear back soon!
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2004 01:49 Edited at: 29th Jan 2004 01:50
I just ran your code here both ways (with extra syncs and without) and either way works fine (not including the bitmap file). What are the specs of your video hardware?

-RUST-
"What the... Mooooooooooo!"
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2004 07:42
It works here without the syncs as well.
I am useing dbpro and I think Cattle Rustler is as well.
Are you using db classic? it might be a db classic issue.
If you are using dbpro you might want to try updateing your video card drivers if you haven't done it recently.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2004 15:42
yes dbpro here.

-RUST-
Jaleho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2004 16:26
Yeah, I'm using classic. And it works fine when i hit f5 to preview it, it's just when I make it an exe that the problem arises.

I didn't realize DB & Pro were that much different - i thought one was just more "raw coding"
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2004 16:40
maybe download the dbpro 30 day demo and see if it makes a difference? Be aware that dbpro requires DX9.0b to run anything beyond text so you will need a decent video card that supports direct x 9 series.

-RUST-
Jaleho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2004 17:19
well, the students will be using db classic (the free copies where available) so whatever I make will have to work with that - so I'm looking for a non-Pro solution.

Unfortunately, the restrictions of middle schoolers and classic are the constraints I must deal with - if I were doing my own games, I'd be using Pro
Jaleho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2004 20:39 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2004 20:40
When I hit F5, I see this:

When I hit F7, and then go to open the exe, I see this:

It looks like it tries typing the code using the font & size from the previous text command, then does it again with the new attributes.

Sample code included, DBClassic & DarkEdit both do this.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 18:00:20
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 18:00:20