Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Zelda scrollinng maps

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2004 14:49 Edited at: 29th Jan 2004 14:52
Does anybody know how to do a zelda 3 style scrolling map system? Cause I've been fiddling around with DBPro for a bit and can't seem to figure out the correct commands for it. So if anyone could tell me how to do it I would be very appreciative.
GameKit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2004 16:21
You could try something like...

Obj is the number of the object you want the camera to follow... Adjust the other numbers as needed to get the best view...If the camera is not following an object, change the Object Positions into independent variables...
Well...I hope that helped...

Do not thwart the way of the dragon. For thou tasteth like chicken.
Zenkai
Years of Service
User Offline
Well my maps are going to be bigger than 1064X768 (or however big my resolution is) and I want the map to go off the edge and when a player walks toward the top of the map if he is still walking up the camera will follow (like you had in that code) and when he stops so would the camera, etc. (by the way I forgot to mention my game that this is for is 2D)
GameKit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2004 00:58
Oh... I'm sorry... I misread your question... My code was just to control the camera...
One way you could create a map would be to make a matrix with the matrix Xsegments and Zsegments being the number of "tiles" you wanted the width and height of the level (or area) to be... You could then create a large texture that is devided into evenly sized sections. Draw a different "tile" in each of the sections of the texture... Load the texture into your game then use the command "prepare matrix texture" split the texture into appropriatly sized sections... Then use the command "set matrix tile" to apply the appropriate "tile" texture to each grid section of your matrix... you can create an array to store what textures are on which tiles and use that to detect collision... well... once again i hope that helps...

Do not thwart the way of the dragon. For thou tasteth like chicken.
Zenkai
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I was thinking of making my maps in something like paint or something instead of doing a matrix. So if I just made my maps in Paint and then loaded them that adds another question to my other one. What should I load it as? Cause I'm thinking I should load it as a Bitmap but isn't there a limit on how many bitmaps you can have? Cause my game would have quite a few maps (over 35 maps) so if there is a limit to how many bitmaps there can be what should I load it as? Also when I do load it how would I get it so if I do make the maps in paint I'm going to make multiple versions of it so there are layers (example: ground layer, character sprites + npc's, fringe, etc. etc. etc.) is there any specific way I would have to load it in? Sorry if I'm asking to many questions that's just how I am.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2004 05:44
Hi Zenkai,
First: Never stop asking questions.

Second: You can still use a tile system with your maps, just have a specified size per tile (32x32 or something like that), and then you can write your own program that can placed them on a grid then save them. You should have images like trees and rocks and other objects that will be turned into sprites and have 2d collision set up with them. Then your next step is to make the important sprites like buildings, then have separate sprites for doors, because then if you detect collision on the door sprite you can load the "inside the building" map. Then you add people such as the player, enemies, creatures, and so on and so forth. All you really need is a lot of work with MS Paint to make classic Zelda style graphics.

As far as scrolling goes, you could have the player sprite centered on the screen, and just move everything else. Or you could approach it like the gameboy and NES Zeldas where you can move around in a little square area then move it over if they move past the border. To get a cool scrolling effect here's some pseudo code:

Temporarily Disable Player Input

For every X milliseconds...
move map over X units

This may be a little unclear, but I hope you at least got an idea of how to go about this.

keep asking,
crazy donuts

Juvenile Industries
Current Project: KillZone(FPS)
Soon to come:An rts, and a snowball fight game
Zenkai
Years of Service
User Offline
cool! thanks Donut! This is very much appreciated. Now I know I can do it like I was thinking and I think your ideas for map scrolling gave me an idea as to how to do it. Thank you so much.
Jonny_S
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2004 15:31
If you need any help i can knock up some code which may illustrate what you want just post hee

Supermonkey - The crime gifhting sex god monkey!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 18:53:34
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 18:53:34