Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / need DB help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Can someone help me with the definitions of these words:

syntax
string(the variable thing)
parameters

Good Morning; Good Afternoon; Good Night
AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2004 08:27 Edited at: 30th Jan 2004 08:27
*syntax* - basically the word(s) you type into your editor that tell your computer what to do. So if you get a syntax error from your compiler, it means that somewhere in your code you typed an incorrect command.

*string* - A string can basically be any combination of letters and numbers which is stored in a variable.

So if you wanted to store "Hi, my name is AluminumPork" into a variable, you would type this into your editor.

TEXT$ = "Hi, my name is AluminumPork"
and an example of something isn't a string could be
NOTASTRING = 4

*parameters* - Parameters are basically the information you give a command so it can do what you want it to.

So in the command

SET CURSOR 5,5

the 1st 5 is a parameter that's telling where on the X axis you want the cursor to go. And the 2nd 5 is telling where you want it to go on the Y axis.

I have no idea of your skill level, so if this is wayyy too simple for you then I appologize. If not, then I hope I helped.

Anyone else willing to comment on any mis-information I may have given?

P4 2.4Ghz HT, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 128MB, 19" Viewsonic, 80GB HD

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2004 16:31
the only thing I would add is if you are just starting out with programming, try to avoid $ and #, and try to more strongly type (for readability) you variables. Here is a combo of clearly typing and hungarian notation:

strName as String="Aluminum Pork"
fltScore as Float
intLives as Integer

(first three letters are an abbrv for the variable type, then the variable with a meaningful name of what the variable holds, then the explicit type like String or Float instead of $ and #)

This is just one way of doing things. Other ways work for other people.

-RUST-
"What the... Mooooooooooo!"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 19:04:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 19:04:31