Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / I need an interview with a paid programmer for a middle-school project(10 questions)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2004 05:42
1.If you sell a game, how much money to you get?
2.How much, on average, does a programmer get paid hourly?
3.How long did it take you to consider yourself a professional programmer?(or get good at it)
4.When did you start programming?
5.Do you enjoy programming?
6.Why did you start programming?
7.Does the world need more, less, or the same number of programmers?
8.Do you work at home or in an office?
9.How old, on average, are professional programmers?
10.Do you think its a good thing to start programming at an early age?

"If you can't lift it, don't eat it"
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2004 06:27 Edited at: 30th Jan 2004 06:28
I'm a self-employed windows application programmer in vb.net/vb6 so I can't say as far as games.

It really varies on who you work for. Right now I am on a job that pay $50.00/hour but I have worked projects for over $100.00/hour. Ball park average $50-$75 per hour (US Dollars)

3.How long did it take you to consider yourself a professional programmer?(or get good at it) The minute my work was noticed by President of operations, and pulled me out of IT Dept into development (my employer from years ago). Although it was a big adjustment and you are always learning something new, and never satisfied. It took a good year to be "comfortable" in my new
peer group. Education time is something entirely different.

Atari 400 Basic circa 1982-83, so off and on over the past 20 years, but have been doing it steadily for over four years.

Love it - I don't see it as "work", I see it as fun and getting paid to have fun.

Not sure. I saw the computer, I was fascinated by the concept of laying out instructions and the computer would follow them. Graphics, sound, and joystick input were the biggest hooks!

The world needs constant learning and evolution from it's programmers. Up to date technology and drive, the number is irrelevant - the work ethic counts. On a purely economic basis I'd say "less" programmers so their is more work out there for me and my newly formed (partnered) company.

I used to work as an employee out of an office but for the past year I have been working from my home office.

Anywhere from college grad age and up - that's hard to answer.

Absolutely. Just like they say learning music/musical instruments is great for children as it stimulates many pathways of the mind and broadens their whole learning capabilities, i would think programming is much the same, but I am no dodctor, i just play one on tv

-RUST-
"What the... Mooooooooooo!"
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2004 17:24 Edited at: 30th Jan 2004 17:26

I give away most of my computer games since I'm trying to encourage growth in the play by e-mail game industry. I do write and sell pen and paper war games and sell them electronically or via CD-ROM, prices range from $15 to $25 dollars of which a substantial percentage is profit.

My day job is an applications programmer for a large insurance company. I make around $25 dollars an hour in Oklahoma City. That's a fairly comfortable amount for this economy. If I was self employed, I'd have to charge $50 an hour to cover the additional taxes.

3.How long did it take you to consider yourself a professional programmer?(or get good at it)

The transition from amatuer to professional happened over a short period of time since I was in the USAF when I made the change. Their system is to send a student to school for 6 months to learn the basics and then set them up with on the job training once they got to their next assignment. Tech school plus OJT was probably 18 months in duration.

I started dabbling in 1981 on the Tandy Color Computer.

I love it. It is my job and my hobby.

Back in the 80's I was plunking down hundreds of dollars each month in the video game arcades. I decided to go cold turkey and buy a small computer, I've been hooked ever since.

As a hobbyist, more is always better. As a professional, I have deep concerns about programming jobs being out-sourced. I like the status quo even if I feel there might be too many unemployed IT professionals out there.

Office.

Professional implies some degree of competence. This means either higher education or military training. This puts the range between 20-50 years since older programmer have most likely moved into management positions by then.

Absolutely, programming increases a person's math and logic skills, as well as exercises their analytic abilities. When I try to describe programming to non-programmers, I tell them that programming is like a word problem. You have a real world problem that you need to convert into series of steps and solve for.
--
Todd A. Zircher

[edit for typos]

Ben3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2004 03:50
Thanks

"If you can't lift it, don't eat it"
kidsa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 22:58
good thing i found this thread i wondered how much programmers get paid ( i go to college in a few years and there is programming)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 18:38:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 18:38:28