Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / MS Access web sites

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2004 21:32
Hi All

Anyone know of any web sites that show ways of using MS Access apart from MS.

In Space No One can Hear You Scream! (When your comm Line is cut?)
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2004 21:35 Edited at: 31st Jan 2004 01:13
Most pages using ASP and databases would probably be using an access database to store info.

"They misunderestimated us" - George Bush
"The box said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed LINUX. "

Formerly David89.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2004 00:23
Quote: "Most pages using ASP and adtabases would probably be using an access database to store info"

Most use SQL Server, Access is too slow, and can't cope with multiple users.

@HowDo: If you're talking about sites that discuss Access, rather than building web sites from Access, just search Google. there's dozens of them out there, and you'll find one that's targetted at the level you're looking for. Ask on the Access forums as well, they'll point you in the right direction.

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2004 01:13
Only reason I posted was most ASP database tutorials I came across stored stuff in .mdb files

"They misunderestimated us" - George Bush
"The box said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed LINUX. "

Formerly David89.
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2004 17:56
Thanks BatVink that was what I was asking for; now to filter out which ones do what I need to know.

In Space No One can Hear You Scream! (When your comm Line is cut?)
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2004 18:44 Edited at: 31st Jan 2004 18:44
Quote: "most ASP database tutorials I came across stored stuff in .mdb files "

Yes, you are right. I started an asp site with an Access database for the same reason. As soon as I tried to connect 3 or 4 users, it died a horrible death.

It's probably because most people don't have SQL Server available.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2004 21:03
Quote: "Yes, you are right. I started an asp site with an Access database for the same reason. As soon as I tried to connect 3 or 4 users, it died a horrible death."

And soooo slow. Thankfully I was fortunate enough to discover this patch and this patch and I have never looked back since.

BlueGUI Plugin:http://blue.robert-knight.net / BlueIDE http://blueide.sf.net-Free Replacement editor for DBPro
Yarbles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2004 23:05
Most web applications require only one user (the actual web application) connected to the database at a time. For this purpose Access works just fine and would actually be recommended over SQL Server because of ease or portablity and installation of an Access based project. SQL Server is a pig and requires licensing, while access drivers come preinstalled with windows and require no further purchace of licenses to run an application with an mdb file.

So, NO, Access is not too slow! Please stop spreading misinformation about Access.

As for PHP and MySQL, sure they work well, but for me, I have more flexibilty with a VB app and Access/SQL Server.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2004 23:17
Quote: "Thankfully I was fortunate enough to discover this patch and this patch and I have never looked back since"

Snap! It's done wonders for my osCommerce development. Have you installed PHPmyAdmin, that's pretty nifty for a web-based SQL tool.
I still use Access to write small functions for manipulating the data in bulk.

@Yarbles: My slow Access app was running with one database user and asp pages. The database was on the same server, and user access was over an intranet. Importing the database into SQL server and simply changing the ODBC driver fixed all my speed problems. Both ODBC drivers were standard Microsoft ones.
Don't get me wrong, I like Access and I use it for rapid development of local projects, but it just couldn't hack the multi-user environment. I even tried the same application written in VBA in Excel, it was still slow using RDO and ADO.
I have a colleague who tried the Data Access pages in MS Access, and that was also slow.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2004 23:23 Edited at: 31st Jan 2004 23:26
Quote: "As for PHP and MySQL, sure they work well, but for me, I have more flexibilty with a VB app and Access/SQL Server."

Interesting, in what ways would you say that it is more flexible. IME it is anything but.

Quote: "Have you installed PHPmyAdmin, that's pretty nifty for a web-based SQL tool."

Naturally.

BlueGUI Plugin:http://blue.robert-knight.net / BlueIDE http://blueide.sf.net-Free Replacement editor for DBPro
Yarbles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2004 23:32
For me, they are more flexible in the sense that I can write a VB dll to serve up my web application. That means I have the full functionality of VB there and I don't have to disclose source when I install the application on a clients server.

Yarbles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2004 00:30
As for Access slowness, it works very fast when the web application and the database are on the same server. When you try to access Access (haha) over a network, yes, it is slow. Although I never use Access for those purposes, my implementation of Access databases are always local to the same server as the web app.

Try accessing SQL Server over a network using only Named Pipes as the protocol and you will find it just as slow as Access, fortunately you can set SQL Server to use TCP/IP for network access and get great speed improvements. Not sure if there is a driver for Access that allows for the TCP/IP protocol access over networks, but if there is, it will surely give you acceptable speeds.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 07:49:45
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 07:49:45