Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Incredible speed boost

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2004 13:48
I've just uninstalled MSN Messenger and all its hellish works thanks to various pop-ups which were appearing according, apparently, to loop-holes in it. Anyway suddenly my 'puter (see stats below) is running much faster. I find this odd. I can only assume there was spyware on my 'puter connected to Messenger which my spyware hunter/killer software was not finding and killing.

I was wondering whether there is any other explanation people could put forward.

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P1.3ghz / 384 megs / GeForce MX 5200 128meg / WinXP home
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2004 15:45
Well, MSN Messenger is by Microsoft...

And they do suck...

And they're programs are all resource hungry...

Someone asked me yesterday what to do about Messenger slowing everything down - I wasn't sure what to say, I have no idea what would help speed it up. Gonna install a firewall on her PC and see if that improves matters, I'll let you know if I discover anything significant.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Well file sharing slows your computer down, maybe that was what it was. I don't like any chat devices on my computer.

DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2004 16:23
Didn't someone take microsoft to court a while ago about this? An independent study into Windows XP found that...i think it was around 75% of the software was uneccissary, due to large parts of code being left in, variables being used in stead of arrays, uneccissary and useless files, and large chunks of code being surrounded by REMs and then left in anyway. I remember reading about it somewhere, but i can't remember where. Anyone know what i'm on about? -Dave

Your soul...it tastes like chicken

Official Website Coming Soon
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2004 17:39
I'm going to assume that you don't know the difference between scource code and compiled binaries and leave it at that.
--
TAZ

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 07:40:13
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 07:40:13