Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Bought a PC Game!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2004 20:12 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2004 20:14
Haven't bought a game for quite some time. Saw Populous 'The Beginning' for £3.99 and remembered the Amiga version. Great to play an old game enhanced! My daughter likes it, so sorted! I also played Lemmings yesterday. The new 3D version, with rotating towers. Not as good as......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/games/gamezone/roadies/index.shtml

Pincho.

Edit: Oh yeah Safeways is selling these old games for £3.99. There are a lot to choose from.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2004 20:36
Mate, that's nothing. I have a copy of Powermonger and Populous 2 on a budget title, from about 1997 (or so). Nice double CD thingy. Still haven't opened the box yet

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2004 22:01 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2004 22:01
I bought Crazy Taxi from Asda at the weekend, £6.97. First game I've bought in about a year. It's not bad, very like the arcade original.

BTW, morrisons are doing the same deal as Safeway.

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2004 22:02 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2004 22:11
pincho, thanks for that link, first bookmarks i've made in years!

GO TO THE ETERNAL DESTINY FORUMS!!! http://forums.eternaldestinyonline.com
Do it now!!!
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
My daughter found it, and she can do all of it to the end.

Pincho.

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2004 22:11
damn, just on the scond level!

Do it now!!!
Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2004 22:23
I bought Populous 'The Beginning', when ist got out ... I finished it long ago. (I'm a god )

I just bought Zeus: Poseidon Expansion Pack two weeks ago, don't want to play it anymore, even if I only played it twice

"Begin at the beginning, and go on till you come to the end: then stop." - Lewis Carroll
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2004 22:46
grrr, can't get past level 3! i've played this game longer than any other this year! tell your daughter to post the solution for level 3 pincho

Do it now!!!
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2004 22:56
Yeah, but I'm so good I don't even need to open the packaging. And I *know* I've actually finished it (in my head).

Cheers

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
The answer to level 3 is below, but you might want to figure it out for yourself, because there aren't many levels.

Pincho.

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2004 23:21 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2004 23:22
I bought Lemmings Revolution when it came out years ago. Played it once, thought it was rubbish, never played it again.

Boo!
stann65
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 20:49
i went down to toys r us the other week and got lemming 1 and 2 with lemmings 3D and lemming paintball for £5

http://stann.tk
(its a work in progress)
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
hey i got that populous game... shame the online matchmaking things shut down, pm me ur IP adress when u feel like a game

www.tinnedhead.tk watch this space for the first ever calculator to show the working out. also look out for our first game- ww.exor-mk1.tk
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 23:25
I can't get past the first level... I hate lemmings like games, I'm clueless at them

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah me too! I hate them, but my daughter is 12 and it's more fun watching her play the game. She solved it all herself. The Populous game is really good though.

Pincho.

DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 15:51
I have populous on a shelf upstairs (you should see my games shelf...it's brilliant, it's such a mess 2 shelves and no organisation...)

Anyway, i was gutted (It's a scottish thing, not hard to work out what i means) the other day when i found Messiah for 99 shiny pennies (little joke there, Messiah was made by Shiny) and i paid a full £25 quid for it years ago. Dammit. They were selling Kingpin for £2:99 as well, but i didn't have enough loose change.

-Dave

Your soul...it tastes like chicken

Official Website Coming Soon
stann65
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 19:05
i think now you can buy need for speed:porsche unleashed for around £5 and that is a brilliant game but EA sports shut down the server for online racing.

(its a work in progress)
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
The only Need For Speed that I have is for the 3DO. It's very good though, I really like the physics.

Pincho.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 19:48
My best record was owning 10 brand new full price games, and not playing any for at least 6 months. Good one that was Currently just got a GC for Xmas, and now have 10 full price games. I've not played 3 yet (Zelda and Double dash any good?), and the others have been played a little. Tis pretty sad.

My games shelf unit thingy is pretty impressive. Is a standalone thingy, with four big shelves full of games. At least it used to be impressive when it was my gaming cupboard (entire built in cupboard of games) and most of them were less than a year old (getting dusty now )

Cheers

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually Double Dash is really good! It's very addictive! It gets better when you get to the 150CC cars. Although I have won everything now.

Pincho.

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 22:37
@Dazzag, don't you buy a game then run home with a skip in your step to play it? or is that something you grow out of?

Do it now!!!
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 23:18
Heh. Nah, I just used to buy a lot of games. I hadn't bought that much lately until I got the GC.

Is not something you grow out of, just something you find you have less time for. Good example is The Sims. Bought that in 2000 when I bought my first house. Played it quite a bit for a couple of weeks, and then I noticed my computer house was better decorated than my real house! I hadn't even got my paintings up on the wall (but I had in the game). Turned it off and didn't load it again. House looks nice now...

Oh, that and the GBA has took over my life for the last 2 years concerning games. Was a speccy/atari lad myself, so a whole wealth of remakes I never played originally is at my disposal! Great. If Double dash is as half as good as Mario Kart on the GBA, then I'll be happy. Might turn it on tonight...

Cheers

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I think it's better! I remember my first games. I would read the whole manual before I loaded the game. Manuals could be 100 pages! Flight sims were huge manuals with 30+ keys to learn, and landing a plane felt like you were going to die if you failed.

Pincho.

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 02:35
I too have a shelf full of games that I don't play. Went through a phase of buying loads of games. Still yet to start on Jedi Knight 2, Unreal 2, Max Payne, Morrowind, Red Alert, Tiberian Sun, Commandos and a whole load of others. About half way through 'latest' monkey island game.

Next task is open up an ebay account and flog the boxloads of old games and books that I have. Got loads of old stuff like PaintShop Pro 7, Pc Anywhere, Darkbasic classic, etc.

Anyone got any tips on selling stuff on ebay. I'm very wary of being ripped off.

Boo!
Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 02:40
@Dazzag

"(Zelda and Double dash any good?), "

I own both and they are excellent.

Zelda is pretty fun. I like the attention to detail that it had with the day and night along with the varying weather. Taking control of seaguls is also pretty cool.

The only real thing I have against it is you can't jump the waves. When I first heard that it would involve sailing, I imagined surfing those waves in a storm. Flying over some and slamming down into others, spray flying every where. I figured I'd probably spend hours just goofing around in the sail boat. It was kindof a let down not being able to jump the waves like I had imagined.

Still, it was good fun sailing those waves. Sometimes you could almost feel the wind on your face. It was very immersive.

As for Double Dash, I'll agree with Pincho. Its a fun game, and has some very compelling gameplay. Its really good when you have more than one player. Things start to really liven up then.

A word of advice though. Don't let anyone fool you when they say that it is too easy. I've played every single mario kart starting with the original SNES one and this one is by far the hardest I've ever played. Period. I breezed through the rest before, but I actually had to learn the coarses and try with this one.

@Pincho

" Manuals could be 100 pages! Flight sims were huge manuals with 30+ keys to learn, and landing a plane felt like you were going to die if you failed."

Yeah, I remember that. Some of the first games I ever played were flight sims. They had large manuals that you actually had to read and these cardboard fold outs that had all of the keys mapped to them. Man, they were deep. They paid so much attention to detail then. They actually had illustrations and descriptions of actual combat techniques you could use! ::sigh;: Its not like it was back then though. Developers actually cared about a proper manual.

Ack! I'm getting nostalgic again!
DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 03:42
I want to make one thing clear: I'm a Nintendoid. I always have been. I love Nintendo. Shigsy's a genius. Everything he comes up with is amazing. Except the new Zelda. I've never been more dissapointed in my life. Ever seen Star Wars episode 1? Triple your dissapointment when you play it if you're a zelda fan, which i am. I love Zelda, it's always been one of my favourites, and the 64 version deserved everything it got and more. But seriously, the new one's rubbish (sorry Neo, but you have to admit it) i mean, sail here, sail there, fiddle with the controls a little, etc. etc. The dungeons are bland and boring, espcially when you have carry those sodding people around, and the sea is the worst thing yet. The sea was a bad idea. I'm not grouchy about the change from the realism to Cell shading, like most nintendo fans-i'm grouchy about the game's empty content. I was severely let down by that.

-Dave

PS: I hate the Sims. Just thought i'd say that.

Wik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 04:43
Command and Conquer games all the way!

DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 04:58
Yeah..but they're a bit naff too...you know what was good? A game called Machines, by Eidos...that was amazing! But i think they withdrew it or something...it's really hard to find these days...i'm dying to find a copy...that was a bloody great game...

-Dave

Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 07:04
@DivW

" (sorry Neo, but you have to admit it)"

Nope. I like the game and I can't deny it. I've also seen Episode 1 and I wasn't too disappointed. Maybe that's saying something.

" i mean, sail here, sail there, fiddle with the controls a little, etc. etc. "

I don't think that that is fundementally different from the Zelda 64. In fact, its the same thing. Run here, Run there, fiddle with the contents of your active item list(By that I mean an item you can pull out by hitting a button. Not sure what its called "officially), etc., etc. Its a lot like the original and I'd assume Majora's Mask(I've never played that one. Only the Ocarina of Time). I'm not sure how you could love the original and hate this one as they are pretty close.

I think its your nostalga for the original that distorted your expectations of what the next Zelda should be like. It happens all the time. Case in point would of coarse be episode 1. So many people had so many expectations of that film there was simply no way Lucas could have delivered. I honestly don't think it was as horrible as a lot of people paint it. I walked out of the movie theater feeling that I had seen a good, but not spectacular movie. I've never really had any doubts that it was a good movie, but then again, I was not around to see the original. Walking into that theater I really didn't have a whole lot of fond memories to mess with my expectations.

Now, I'll admit, I'm not immune to this either. Something I did let my memories get in the way of was Turok: Evolution. That was a horrible game. I mean it was bad. Massive plot holes and 2D(Yes, you read that right) graphics for the bushes. I felt so let down when I played that game and I imagine that is exactly how you felt with Zelda. You see, the first First Person Shooter I ever played was Turok: Dinosaur Hunter. To be honest, every time I try to look at that game objectively I'm forced to come to the conclusion that it was rubbish. But I really loved that game. It was the first time I ever played a game like it and I remembered being thrilled firing the mini-gun at just about anything. Didn't matter if it was moving or not it just felt so cool.

Now Turok: Evolution wasn't really that bad. Its a mediocre shooter at best. But for me, I've been waiting for a sequal to that series that would do it justice for what seems like forever. The fact that it fell short of the Halo-like quality that I was hoping for is not surprising, but still extremely diappointing even though when I look at it rationally I have to admit it would never have happened.

I guess what I'm driving at is that "distance makes the heart grow fonder." If you try and step back a bit you'll probably see that the original Zelda isn't that different from the Wind Waker, other than graphically. Try and list what you liked about the original and you'll see that once you've got it down on paper it really isn't that different at all. Its just your perception of it that is.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I'm feeling verbose right now.

" I hate the Sims. Just thought i'd say that."

I really don't care for them, either. Just that I'd say that as well.

@Wik

"Command and Conquer games all the way!"

WarZone 2100 all the way. ::wonders if anyone else played that game::
DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 16:33
@ Neo:
It's not that i hate the new Zelda game. In fact, i'd probably give it 75% if i reveiwed it. It's just that it's an affront to such a long and well repected title to plunge the whole place into a cartoon world filled with plain textures, very little interactivity, and bland, boring dungeons. Maybe i am getting a little Nostalgic, but in my personal opinion, Zelda games have always had to live up to the reputation of trying out new things while sticking to the same formula-every game is vastly different, but they all have nice big dungeons, a huge colourful world to explore piece by piece, lots of nice new items to find along the way, and in almost everygame, a point where the game world changes, leaving you with fond memories of the way it ws before, or in the instance of oracle of seasons, the way it was last season. Zelda should also have a complex but fundamentally simple plot; a twisted version of Golden Knight Saves Kidnapped Princess. But there has always been a twist, and in my opinion, WW hasn't got the same formula. Sure there's quests and puzzles, but aren't they all a bit the same? The game was good, i'll give it that. As far as games go in fact, it was brilliant. But for a Zelda title, it was a huge dissapointment.
Oh, and i actually quite liked Episode 1, but no-one else did it seems, so that's why i said it
Can't remember if i played warzone...anyone got machines? I might just buy it off them if they do...have a paypal account, will use it

-David

stann65
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 17:45
i remember the first ever game i got it was mortal kombat for the sega megadrive and i played it for hours on end.

i went to my local market a couple of months back and saw a sega megadrive second hand and it came with both sonic games and a controller for £15. i was going to buy this but i was hungry and i got a hotdog instead.

Also i might get my old AMIGA out of the attic sum time and have a go at some of them games i have 200+. and i read somewere that collectors in london pay big money for AMIGA's and COMMODORE's.

(its a work in progress)
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 19:45
First game I ever got was Harrier Attack on the Speccy. Dad made me read the Spectrum manual properly first before playing the game. Damn thing was basically a Basic manual. Started playing several days later. Still, got to thank my Dad, as it got my interest in programming going (do it for a living now).

Also got Horace and the spiders at the same time, but played it second.

Quote: "" I hate the Sims. Just thought i'd say that.""

Yeah. Me too. After 2 weeks of playing it, I realised I hadn't really got any enjoyment out of it really, and was quite bored. So I dusted off some FPS or other and blew away the cobwebs. Nice. Only bought it because I loved Sim City 2000 (Not 3000).

Cheers

stann65
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 22:17
i am going into programming when i am older.

that is my ambition. (i dont have darkBasic or anything yet because the guy who is supposed to be buying my old computer hasn't got the money yet )

(its a work in progress)
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
That's a funny place to post that reply! It has absolutely nothing to do with the subject. But I hope you enjoy programming when you get DB.

Pincho.

stann65
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 22:55
did anyone here ever play the original breakout game 'mega-ball'
now that game was amazing.

(its a work in progress)
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 23:08
surely the original breakout game was breakout?

Do it now!!!
Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2004 02:32
guess not
my first game ever was...DONKEY KONG!!! SNES. Still have it.

Then comes tomorrow and you're a little shorter of your breath and one day closer to your death...
Wik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2004 02:42
I have the first Zelda and its HARD Its the only NES game that I have that can save

Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2004 03:29
i have that

Then comes tomorrow and you're a little shorter of your breath and one day closer to your death...
stann65
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2004 17:18
does anyone know how much money AMIGAS and COMMODERS are worth now.

(its a work in progress)
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Not much! Amigas have a powerpack problem, and are risky to buy 2nd hand.

Pincho.

stann65
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2004 18:27
the only problem i had with mine was that the games stopped working.

(its a work in progress)
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2004 19:05
Damn! I'm just getting my Amiga1200 stuff together and tested ready to sell but people are flogging full systems for 40 or 50 quid on ebay. I was hoping for more!

Boo!
Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2004 21:04
@DivW

"It's just that it's an affront to such a long and well repected title to plunge the whole place into a cartoon world filled with plain textures, very little interactivity, and bland, boring dungeons."

I don't see it myself. I thought the textures were pretty good, even excellent the way they all fit the whole cartoon theme. The lack of interactivity might be a justifiable complaint. But I don't remember there being anymore interactivity in any previous Zelda games either.

I did feel that there was not as much to explore as the last one, but then again that could be my own nostalgia getting in the way. I was fascinated the first time I played the Ocarnia of Time at how much there was to explore. I remember just wandering aimlessly around for hours and never getting bored, cause it was all so new. Now adays I'm not so easily amused, but I still long for the ability to just explore for the sake of exploring. Not cause some mission objective demands that I do, but because I feel like it.

As for the dungeons I'm not sure. Some of them I really like. That cartoon fire effect in one of the early ones impressed me quite a bit. Later on though, I kinda felt numbed toward the whole experience. I mean, why are there so many dungeons in this world. What purpose do they serve? Who built them? It just felt like the designers were throwing obstacles in my way to prolong the game. That kindof ruins the immerisive experience of it if you ask me.

"Zelda games have always had to live up to the reputation of trying out new things while sticking to the same formula"

I think that applies to just about every game Nintendo makes. They've been the reigning champions of designing fun, innovative games for quite some time. So every game they come out with is expected to be ground breaking, and that is an extremely difficult reputation to live up to.

"every game is vastly different, but they all have nice big dungeons, a huge colourful world to explore piece by piece, lots of nice new items to find along the way, and in almost everygame, a point where the game world changes, leaving you with fond memories of the way it ws before, or in the instance of oracle of seasons, the way it was last season. "

I wouldn't think that every game is "vastly different" if they all followed the above lengthy formula that you descibed. In fact, I'd say they were pretty much all the same and that's a bad thing. It might be entertaining at first, but It's bound to get boring eventually.

"Zelda should also have a complex but fundamentally simple plot; a twisted version of Golden Knight Saves Kidnapped Princess."

I disagree. I don't think that Zelda should always follow that plot pattern, because it will eventually get old. And no matter how many plot twists you introduce it will still feel like the same old same old. Following the same old plot will leave one in a creative rut, and nothing could be more damaging to the series then a lack of fresh ideas.

"Sure there's quests and puzzles, but aren't they all a bit the same?"

As the previous games that you enjoyed? Yep. I think they've streched the series use of these paticular kinds of puzzles to the limit. They are gonna have to come up with more kinds of puzzles to make this enjoyable next time around.

"The game was good, i'll give it that. As far as games go in fact, it was brilliant. But for a Zelda title, it was a huge dissapointment."

I understand what you mean. Zelda games are expected to be phenominally spectacular. Not just good, or even great. Same applies with the Mario franchise.

"Can't remember if i played warzone..."

I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't. It was a fun RTS game from the late 90s, 99 I think, that had a rather short shelf life. The publishers of the game(EA I think) didn't promote it at all so consequently, the sales weren't spectacular and the studio that created it was disbanded a short 7 months after its release.

It was a fun game, the first RTS that allowed you to mix and match different parts to create your units. And it was one of the first RTSs that was totally in 3D and not in the "fake" 3D of 2D isometeric tiles. The plot, though kind of goofy in parts, was actually interesting and played a visible role in the development of the game.

Its a pity that it didn't sell well cause it was one of the few RTSs that I actually liked. I've tried playing some of the more recent RTSs but none of them held the charm that WarZone 2100 did. Even the much acclaimed WarCraft III left a bad taste in my mouth that will keep me from partaking in any other modern RTSs for quite some time. I just can't understand what people see in that game. It sucks.
stann65
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2004 21:21
spooky are you just selling you AMIGA or is ther egames with it as i have around 200 games and i was wondering what a good selling price would be.

(its a work in progress)
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2004 21:52
Quote: "did anyone here ever play the original breakout game 'mega-ball'"

Slightly remember an Amiga game of that name, but hardly the "original" breakout game. Hell, I remember a horizontal version on the very first speccy programming tape that came with the computer. I got it in 1984 I think. And surely Arkanoid was before then? ie. the truly famous one that sold by the bucket. My favourite was Batty on the speccy. Only came on a limited edition compilation tape though. Was class.

Cheers

stann65
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2004 00:59
this is the lemmings bundle i got for £5

(its a work in progress)
stann65
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2004 01:00
sorry about the size i didn't realise it was so big

(its a work in progress)
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
The Simpsons was also bundled with the Amiga, and guess what? I worked on some of the graphics for that.

Pincho.

stann65
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2004 11:15
cool.
My dad knows someone who used to own thisgame writing company for the AMIGA. it was called 'SatanicDreams' if anyone can remember this company please post.

(its a work in progress)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 07:52:04
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 07:52:04