Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / The anti-worm worm!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2004 20:35
It seems to me that worms are becoming more frequent. A handful have all come out at the same time, and are doing about of damage (I read somewhere MyDoom did 10billions worth of damage). They seem to spread devistatingly quickly, 1 million computers in a night according to one paper was MyDooms best (I could be remebering that wrong, though).

So why don't the anti virus people write an anti-worm, worm. Or microsoft, or whoever. It would spread to almost every computer in the world and would fix all the security holes that worms exploit. It seems rather sensible to me. I mean not every computer has anti-virus software and thats why all these worms are doing such damage, right?

~I see one problem with your reasoning: The fact is that is a chicken~
Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2004 20:43
Actually, I think that it has been done before. I forget the specifics of who and with what though. I think the reason that it isn't done is because it is illegal. Anyway, other than the possible illegality of it, good idea.
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes the justice system does have a way of making you go to prison even if you do something good. In my view no wonder people do bad things because even if you do something good you'll be arrested and thrown in jail anyhow. Now how's that justice?

The search continues.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2004 20:49
If everyone had firewalls and antivirus software, the world would be a better place.

Insiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2004 20:49
Mmmm. Depends what you want it to do. If it involves repairing what was done, then might not be passible. Eg. If a load of files have become corrupted (whatever that may entail, inc. deleting them, or simply chucking in a few random characters here and there), then how can the anti-worm reverse the problem?

To kill the worm though would be a good idea. Although, like virus killers, I seriously doubt if big companies like it if you get something for free. (See the big problem???? Buy our software!!!!)

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2004 20:55
Ah well we could always write a DarkANTI-Worm the only worm that requires a Direct X download, a blank screen to look at and a friendly watermark after its done since it was written with a free trail because the writer was that cheap.

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2004 21:20
Quote: "If everyone had firewalls and antivirus software, the world would be a better place."

and norton would be filthy rich

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2004 21:31
Ugh, Norton has got to be the *worst* virus protection program. It basically takes over your computer and doesn't let you uninstall it...

*pukes*

http://www.automatongames.com/
Ancient Chinese proverb: Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2004 21:37
Quote: "Ah well we could always write a DarkANTI-Worm the only worm that requires a Direct X download, a blank screen to look at and a friendly watermark after its done since it was written with a free trail because the writer was that cheap"

And I suppose the file will be over 1 MB. It's just too funny to think about the poor 56Ker, who is wondering why there is something downloading that long.

"Begin at the beginning, and go on till you come to the end: then stop." - Lewis Carroll
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
With all due respect, that idea would be about as successful as "The MEGA Team!".

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2004 22:32
The majority of the cost of these worms is caused simply by the amount of traffic added to the net. How would adding to this with an 'anti-worm' solve this?

Also, how would your machine know whether this worm is good or bad? What is good about having someone install software on my machine without my consent or knowledge?

Sorry, but IMO there is no good worm, no matter the intentions of its writer.

For free Plug-ins, source and the DBPro Interface library for Visual C++ 6 and .NET
http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2004 23:37
Is it me or there always someone who puts a downer on my plans? Maybe it because my plans stink, but still can't everyone be a little more supporitive?

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2004 23:41

For free Plug-ins, source and the DBPro Interface library for Visual C++ 6 and .NET
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Way to spam Ian, you should delete your own post!

DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
there was a good worm that came about as a counter-MSBlast worm. it would delete MSBlast off your computer and download the MS patch so you wouldn't get MSBlast again, then it would delete itself. it was then hacked and turned bad. it did the same thing - killed MSBlast and downloaded the patch - but instead of deleting itself, it let loose a new virus that was similar to MSBlast! how kind.

people who write viruses are crap.

"Norton has got to be the *worst* virus protection program. It basically takes over your computer and doesn't let you uninstall it..."

i consider norton anti-virus to be a virus. not to mention - how LOW is it to force people to pay for what should be an integral part of every computer? or trial versions for an anti-virus program.. what is that anyway? "haha your 30 days are up, back to virus city for you!" that's lame.

athlon xp 2000+ | radeon 9500 pro 128mb | 512MB DDR | winXP pro | DBP 5.1b | B3D 1.85 | VC++ 6
predicted DBP P6 release date: March 28, 2004
DBP has made me bitter.
Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 00:27
Quote: ""Norton has got to be the *worst* virus protection program. It basically takes over your computer and doesn't let you uninstall it...""

If it was easy to uninstall, I suppose it would be easy to created a virus that uninstalls it.

"Begin at the beginning, and go on till you come to the end: then stop." - Lewis Carroll
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 00:48
@Damokles - Good point, although I have yet to see a virus uninstall a virus-proggie. I use a freeware virus program that's freely updated, and very powerful. It's small, too, and doesn't contain bloat ala Norton.

On a side note, one time I received a virus before I had a chance to install virus protection, and the virus made it impossible to run an executable! Therefore I could install nothing to get rid of said virus--- and I couldn't run Nero to do a system backup! Good thing I have 2 hard drives in my system

[href][/href]
http://www.automatongames.com/
Ancient Chinese proverb: Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Final Epsilon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 00:50
Quote: "Also, how would your machine know whether this worm is good or bad? What is good about having someone install software on my machine without my consent or knowledge?"

you could make an anti-worm that targets only a specific type of worm.
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
I use Norton ATM, what do you guys recommend for a/v software?

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 14:59
Stick with it. I use it myself and haev no problems with it.

In fact, it caught 2 occurances of this worm before I even knew the worm existed. Just make sure that you update weekly.

Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 20:07
Well it seems my plan has been foiled, someones already had this idea:

[href]www.sopho.com/virusinfo/articles/sahay.html[/href]

This what your talking about DrakeX?

DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
i get a 404 on that link

norton's fine if you own it, it's just.. a pain in the ass. i hate nanny software (and another scary trend, nanny OSes).

athlon xp 2000+ | radeon 9500 pro 128mb | 512MB DDR | winXP pro | DBP 5.1b | B3D 1.85 | VC++ 6
predicted DBP P6 release date: March 28, 2004
DBP has made me bitter.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 23:48 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2004 23:49
Norton is pretty good. The only problem is trying to re-install it - most of the time it will install but the program doesn't run properly. You generally have to go through the registry, delete all Norton things and then try and find all Norton files to try and get it working again.

The place for all great plug-ins.
XP3000+,1Gb RAM,FX5600,1Mb ADSL,Router,.Net 2003 Pro & me
Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 14:19 Edited at: 4th Feb 2004 14:34
Quote: "Ugh, Norton has got to be the *worst* virus protection program. It basically takes over your computer and doesn't let you uninstall it...

*pukes*"

I've tried pc-cillin. Horrible. Panda's the best for me because it managed to clean out the virii that norton can't get rid of.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 07:39:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 07:39:55