Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Any skateboarding know-hows?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 14:32
Hi all. I recently had an idea about my future. I was thinking of going into a graphic design - oriented job but now iv ebeen inspired and I want to design skateboard graphics/wheels etc. Problem is ive searched the net and cant find any info on the subject. Anybody know anything? Be aware I live in the UK.

Also, anybody got any ollie tips as I just cant land it - Ive got a hudson board and the trucks are so heavy im beginning to think its impossible

Anyone reccomend where I can get a decent light board?

Cheers

Currently thinking of a new company name
Sticking to a project idea for once
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 15:33
Well, why not make your own decks?

I'd bet that the equipment you'd need is pretty basic, decks are pretty easy. Numerous layers of wood glued together and held into shape using vices on a sorta rough wooden mould. A strip of scrap with a chunk of wood nailed to it could do the job, you just need to hold the deck while the glue dries.

After that you'd clean it up and drill your holes, paint your design, varnish, grip-tape it, there you go. You could easily get to work in your garage or garden shed.

For inspiration, I'd trawl any art forum where younger people frequent, anime characters, graffiti etc are bound to be good sources. Try and do something different though - perhaps even design the decks to the customers ideas (a lot of skaters would love their own ideas on the deck, makes it more individual). I reckon the worst thing you could do is try and copy anything.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 17:32
Hey Moonshine, you can do an ollie with any board really, people are always blaming their lack of patience on their board (although a good board does help a lot). Places to buy a board... two seasons, route one, online there must be a load of places. Buy the skating mag "Sidewalk", probably from WHSmiths or something, they have a load of mail order things, they're probably quite expensive but you can also look at them for designs.

I presume your setup is one of those ready made woolworth dealeys that are made of lead. You should probably start off with a blank deck, graphics add nothing but £30 , try south star, or some other blank deck. Some can be gotten as low as £20 - £30. Trucks you don't really need to worry about, the cheapest will do, there isn't much difference really. Wheels, same again, if you're going for ramps then get thick wheels, they keep the speed for longer, but street you will need thinner, lighter wheels. Probably cheapest will do.

Umm, ollie tips. Just keep practicing, push down with your back foot as hard as you can, jump as high as you can and concentrate on dragging the board up with your front foot. I tend to have my front foot on or just behind the front bolts, back foot right on the tail, just jump, the board comes with you, you dont go with the board. Try this site for inspiration and tips...

http://www.bobstricktips.com

Lots of in depth detail and video clips to study, it's the site where I started .

Hope I helped a bit, as for the deck design, I think vanB got it, just study skate culture and copy other designs .

@ vanB - Umm, make you're own deck? You know how much pummling those things go through ?

Do you bite your thumb at me sir?
Athelon XP 1600 Plus (1.4ghz) - ATI Radeon 9600 Pro - 256mb RAM
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 17:48
Quote: "I'd bet that the equipment you'd need is pretty basic, decks are pretty easy. Numerous layers of wood glued together and held into shape using vices on a sorta rough wooden mould. A strip of scrap with a chunk of wood nailed to it could do the job, you just need to hold the deck while the glue dries"

Lol I dont think its as easy as that

Benjamin R Wharton
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 18:06
Yeah, i tried to fix the end of my deck with aroldyte (spelling!!!) and superglue when it got busted, did bugger all.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 18:21
If I had'nt stood and watched a mate make one then I would'nt believe it myself - he does have a lot of carpentry experience though, but it's not rocket science.

The important thing is keeping a lot of pressure on the layers until it dries properly. There is a lot of give while the glue is wet, lifting the tail a little for example, can be done on the mould with a scrap of wood. The little hand vices could do it, as long as you used scrap wood to protect the surface, and used a lot of them. My mate used 2 moulds with the deck sandwiched inbetween, and stuck the whole lot in a full-size vice, then used smaller hand vices at each end. Once it's dry you can rought it, sand it, they're just as solid as most decks you'd buy.

Van-B

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 18:26
Yeah, like I could do that . So it can be done, but decks wear out pretty fast, if you skate seriously then one every 3 months will do. I suppose if you enjoy it then you wouldn't mind :S.

The Basics of DBPro Tutorial, on my site now!
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 18:44
Bah skateboarding is lame...
take up BMXing instead!

DB generation: http://www.excaver.com/dbg
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Matrix Reformated
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 18:50
Booo! Get a haircut! I know some people say skateboarders are crazy, but BMXers take the term suicidal to new heights.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 19:00
What are you talking about, BMXing is so much safer. You can practise on dirt tracks too, and if you wipeout it will be on gravel, not a face full on cement. Skaters are just weird...

DB generation: http://www.excaver.com/dbg
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Matrix Reformated
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 19:20
Lol, suppose it depends what type of BMXing you do, some people do street style stuff, like skaters, just they do it 3 times higher . How are skaters weird?

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 21:16
which game is better? tony hawks or matt hofmans? tony hawks, nuff said
Skate or die...

GO TO THE ETERNAL DESTINY FORUMS!!! http://forums.eternaldestinyonline.com
Do it now!!!
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 21:30
Thanks everybody for the help - cheers for the tips hamish, theyll really help. I luckily live in one of the few places in the UK where there ias actually a skate park - Bones indoor park in Bolton.

And Van - making a deck would seem easy, but id rather pay for one thats quality - you can get a 7ply, canadian maple deck for about £15 from the states! BTW, you know Craig from Bo Selecta, whos locked in Avid's cupboard? He had his own DIY show on Discovery Home & Leisure, and one time he made his own skateboard. Concave looked a bit naff though

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 22:06
Lol, lucky you, I just have the crappy village park, I don't go skating much any more , no decent people to go with.

M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 22:35
Yeh, ive never actually been proper coz I wouldnt have much use for the verts and all... I have to make do with practicing in my back yard...rough round here. Plus i cant go out because of the rain!

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 12:10
£15 sounds really reasonable, it'd probably cost that for the wood if you were making your own!.

You guy's have your sports all wrong, mountainbiking ownz!

A lot of people assume it's for yuppie couples at the local park, but Scotland has some awesome biking routes - there's nothing like 40mph on a mountainbike. We have a route, and it's a good 15 miles away, so we cycle for over an hour uphill, just so we can get the 10 minute ride back! - I usually have to stop just so I can swear for a bit and clear my mind!.

As for Tony and Matt, well I love both series, but I was a little dissapointed with Matt'2's demo on the X-Box - so I haven't got it yet. I reckon it's unfair to compare Tony and Matt, compare Matt and Dave Mirra's games though! - no comparison really, the only game like that which did'nt use the engine and did'nt suck was Jet Set Radio.

Van-B

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 02:24
I did my first kick-flip wearing combat boots on an old-school kmart brand board. You know, the kind thats like 2ft wide, plastic wheels. If I could that on that kind of board, you can do an ollie on a normal size one. My friend prefers to stick with Zero boards.
It'd be easy for you to just come up with designs, then sell those designs to current board makers.

"eureka" - Archimedes
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 15:45
Thanks people, cheers Phaelax for the advice

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 07:41:26
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 07:41:26