Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [LOCKED] yanks trying to steal the humble aussie "Ugg Boot"

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 10:37
Because Americans have "trademarked" the word "ugg" boot they now want original aussie makers of the boot for 45 years to cease the usage of the name.
bloody septic tanks need a slap in the chops mate.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 11:52
That's a fine 'thank-you-very-much' for all Australias military support over the last few wars!. If they get away with it, I'll start a worldwide boycott of American ugg boots, even if I knew what they were, or could buy them in Britain, I still would'nt.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 11:54 Edited at: 4th Feb 2004 12:03
God damn yanks trying to steal our ways! Reminds me of when Safeway tried to sue a local Australian grocery store (also coincidentally named Safeway) several years ago, fortunately our Safeway was around before thiers and the trial was dismissed. But honestly, now they're taking our ugg boots? For shame!

Edit: For those who don't know what the good ol' ugg boots are, here's an image of Pamela Anderson wearing a pair:

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
MushroomHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 12:02
In reality, the ugg boots belong to British ... after all you're all former exiled "British" criminals

P.S : Yanks are British too se we can safely conclude, England has given a lot to the world
Kharnor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 12:03
It seems all these copyright, patent and trademark laws need a major overhaul - or someone will copyright something like "democracy" or "hello" or "Jack". It's just crazy.

I, for one, will not stand for this. NO-ONE'S TAKING MY UGG BOOTS!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." -Albert Einstein
Current project: Parking Lot (puzzle game, 40% complete)
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 12:09

no bogan would be without a pair

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 12:23
Now that's a handsome boot!

Reminds me of my grannies moon-boots.

Van-B

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "England has given a lot to the world"

Not willingly

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 13:46 Edited at: 4th Feb 2004 13:46
I tried to emigrate to Australia once, but the guy who interviewed me had to ask if I had a criminal record.

Did'nt know you still needed one!.

Van-B (boom boom)

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 16:15
"the yanks..."
"the americans..."

You all sound like a bunch of racists. Stop generalizing all americans into your pitiful posts. Blame specifically whomever it is that's trying to steal your "ugg"(ly) boot or whatever, stop using general terms like above.

-RUST-
"What the... Mooooooooooo!"
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 17:15
Erm, it's not specific to America - people generalise about every nation - some would say Americans have a habit of doing this too. In real terms though - we know far more about America than any American knows about our countries, so some would say that gives us more right to comment.

Personally, I'd rather read stuff like indi's post then vent a bit about America than any politically correct nonsense. I don't know how most Americans view smaller countries - but I do know how a lot of people feel about America. We don't get annoyed at Americans really, we get annoyed at Americanisation, which is IMO the cultural equivalent of cancer.

This world is not a fair place - if it was a fair place then there would be hundreds of Greggs bakeries all over America selling steak bridies and apple turnovers. If anyone who is not British understands what I just said then congratulations on being a cultural trailblazer.

One question for any Americans that will still speak to me:
Why is there such a thing as a World Series when only American teams enter it? - Baseballs not the only sport Americans do that with, and it's one of the reasons why Americans are often regarded as arrogant.

Van-B

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 17:34
all I am saying is that when people like Indi say "Americans.." or "Yanks..." it is a generalization with then includes me, so I take it personally. I am not all americans, and unless you have met ALL americans and know how he or she thinks, you can't use the term "Americans...are this, or do that" And since Indi started this thread there is very little chance that it will be locked or warned for racist/political flamebait, as most or all of the mods here are non american.

Quote: "bloody septic tanks need a slap in the chops mate"

this quote alone should warrant this thread being locked, and this was posted by indi who is a mod - unbelievable.

I want to see if any of the other mods have the balls to not be a hippocrate and lock this drivel rubbish thread.

-RUST-
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 17:39
Nice pair... of boots.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 17:51
I am not trying to offend the other mods, I want to see, however, if they are as quick to lock this thread started by another mod, as they are to lock other threads in the past that were way less offensive to a group of people than this one. That's all.

-RUST-
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 17:59
But CR, some would say you avatar, signature, and username are generalisations too, like American=Cowboy is one of the oldest generalisations there is!.

Van-B

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 18:07
He's from New York City, cattle are exotic animals there.

Me, I grew up on a dairy farm and not the open range. I've seen all the cattle that I've ever wanted to see.
--
TAZ

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 18:32 Edited at: 4th Feb 2004 18:34
Quote: "You all sound like a bunch of racists."

I really do hate it when people use "racists" when its inappropriate. First of all, amerian is NOT a race. Biased, or prejudice would be better words.

anyways, I think america is cool and all, but it does have its problems. One of them, I think, is the media & entertainment industries which are extreamlly commercial. They "tell" americans what to like, wear, listen to, and most of all, buy. And not only that, the entertainment and media are also where many other countries get genralizations from.

Amist the Blue Skies...
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 18:35 Edited at: 4th Feb 2004 18:37
LOL.

@Everyone (or anyone interested)

my screenname/avatar/forum persona etc is based on a character by (of all people) The Jerkey Boys! anyone who is a fan of the jerky boys phony phone calls stuff, if you have access to their 3rd CD, they introduced a character named "Big Ol' Fat Ass Bob, the Cattle Rustler" which John Brennan used in 2 calls and are absolutely hysterical imho.

check out tracks:
#13-"Lawnmower Sale"
#23-"Bad Ass Massage"

lol, so thats that with that.

edit: @The Abomb12, yes maybe "racist" wasn't correct. My objections still stand nevertheless.

-RUST-
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 18:48
This reminds me of MikeRoweSoft

"They misunderestimated us" - George Bush
"The box said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed LINUX. "

Formerly David89.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 19:17
I agree with cattle rustler. This kind of thing goes on in Britain, America, Australia, and every other country with active industry in the world. Generalising it to Americans is just ridiculous.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 19:28
Prejudice is only ok when it's directed at non-Americans.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 19:33
Hey wait a second, how come "America" isn't a race?

I'm Canadian, and I hate when people ask "what are you" when they know I was born here. They want me to tell them Danish, or English, or wherever my *grandparents* came from. That's just stupid. I was BORN here, and so that's my RACE. Same with American-born, uh, Americans.

I mean, *if* we all came from the same continent to begin with, we could say that no country is really a race, right? Unless you're Chinese or from Israel, which have superlong historical backgrounds.

Am I right or will the U.S. and Canada be forever doomed as stereotypes?

[href][/href]
http://www.automatongames.com/
Ancient Chinese proverb: Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 19:41
Quote: ""Americans.." or "Yanks..." "

Hmmm. Yanks? Heh, we also call everyone "Guvnor",clean chimneys and wear rounds hats. Hah. Think "Yanks" went out with WW2 and my grandad.

As to "Americans". Erm. What else would you like to be called?

Quote: "England has given a lot to the world "

Heh. I'm welsh. England *has* given a lot to the world. But took *quite* a lot in the process. About half before giving it all back again... time to start burning those holiday homes again....

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 19:48
opposed to the use of "Americans..." as an entirety, when one really means "this particular person or persons, who happens to be an american".

There is a vast difference.

and btw I can still post in this thread. Very interesting.

-RUST-
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 19:51 Edited at: 4th Feb 2004 19:53
Quote: "Prejudice is only ok when it's directed at non-Americans."

Wow, that comment was so very clever and ironic, it really touched my heart and made me see the error in my ways...

...or not...

...what bull.

This is like the white-black racism issue. Now that things have turned around and the government (and most people) are trying to make things equal for all races, whites are now the subject of a lot of hatred from a good deal of black people-- a form of racism in itself that they can do nothing about. There was a bit of an uproar recently becuase a white skinned kid from South Africa was kicked out of his school for making a joke about a black-only award on MLK day. What King stood for was freedom for everyone. Try imagining what would happen if there was a white-only award on that day. Complete uproar. But it is really no worse than a black-only award; which is considered normal and allowed. Similarly, I know a good deal of white people who have lost their jobs because they argued with employees with black skin, and the latter brought up the racism card in front of the manager. Things have turned around into reverse discrimination.

Now that you see what I mean on this issue, I'll go on. While this certainly isn't an issue of reverse discrimination, it's an example of minorities picking on the majority just because. We do not disciminate against other races (and I am using races to refer to the British and the Australians here) here as a matter of course; using derogitory terms to refer to other countries-- except when they're very much out of favor; take that short time with the French-- will generally get you kicked out over here. Americans are, generally speaking, good and unbiased people. But it is apparently okay and regular for other countries to use derogatory, demeaning terms to refer to Americans-- not the government, the people. I doubt many people will like me saying this, but frankly it's nothing but a lesser example of the now-gone Darkbasic member saying the Americans deserved what happened on 9/11, and that he wasn't sorry for it. Attacking the people for their government and legal policies they can do very little to effect, and discriminating against the majority just because they're bigger/there's more of them. That's exactly what this is-- and it's disgusting.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 20:02 Edited at: 4th Feb 2004 20:03
[rant]

@Mouse - I completely agree with you about the reverse discrimination problem we have here. We have the same problem here in Canada, as white people are basically the only one's who get the real heat when they speak a racial slur, for example. There are countless examples in my own city of different races fighting, and the reporter will mostly say that the fight *may* have been because of race--- then the topic is changed. Guaranteed, if there is a racial fight with white people involved, then it's racism! Of course it's racism, but why is there no emphasis on racism when it involves other cultures? This I don't understand! The same thing happens in the job sector with women and men. A woman can make a pass at a guy, or make a sexual remark, and although they say the guy can go to Human Resources to report sexual harrassment, it's *never* dealt with as seriously as if a man were to make an unwanted sexual remark toward a female. It's just nuts.

[/rant]

[href][/href]
http://www.automatongames.com/
Ancient Chinese proverb: Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 20:03
The problem is pretty widespread indeed, JeKu. I can only hope it begins to balance out as time goes by.

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 20:07
I'm locking this thread ... not because of the original content, but because some people seem to be taking this entirely too seriously and personally.

Take a chill-pill guys

For free Plug-ins, source and the DBPro Interface library for Visual C++ 6 and .NET
http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 07:36:23
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 07:36:23