Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Some questions and my ideas

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello, I am getting DBPro. but before I do, let me ask you if it will do what I want it to. My friends and I want to make an online game in 3d similar to Everquest with the best graphics we can muster. No obviously we wont have that many players, but we would like to have a couple hundered. Can DBpro do this? And if so, what are some good tutorials I can read about how to go about making such a game and some good starters on learning the Basic Language. Now I have some programming background, but not a whole lot. I want to get really good at this language. Thanks
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 20:51
Start more simply. No offens, but you and your friends aren't going to make anything close to Everquest right out of the box. I suggest you guys divide up and start each learning his or her part. Someone for coding, one or two for 3d modelling, one for sound and audio, etc etc. Start with something easier like pong or breakout (which are not simple for anyone new). Do it as a group and when you have a finished working game move on to something harder. You will have to work LONG and HARD to attain anything on the level of Everquest. I am not trying to burst your bubble just giving you some friendly advice, that I hope others here will point out as well.

-RUST-
"What the... Mooooooooooo!"
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 23:16 Edited at: 4th Feb 2004 23:16
DBP can support over 250 connections in a peer to peer multi-player environment. So, an online game is possible (a MMORPG is a totally different animal.). Design wise, you probable have two major programming jobs to do. One is to write a DBP client program that actually plays and participates in the game world. The second is to write a dedicated server program that processes all the player inputs and sends out the results. The more people you have connecting, the more horse power the server needs. Eventually, it will get to the point where you won't even want to run graphics on the server machine.

Programs in general are lots of small solutions to problems.

As CattleRustler said, start small, learn the language, get a feel for solving problems in bite sized chunks and then move on to the deep programming and design stuff.
--
TAZ

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 18:21:52
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 18:21:52