Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / I have been bored! Best project ever

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 00:46
http://www.counterfeitcriminal.co.uk/Fridge/

Tell you what it is about:
I was reading the site www.drivemeinsane.com (yes another plug )... and i was reading the doorbell part. and i thought ah! i can do that .. So i went about looking for things to make that can be logged.. I looked at my cupboard door and the idea pinged into my head... unfortunatly the wires i have were not long enought to reach to the door..... Sooo! i looked for something else and i saw the mini fridge.. and the idea came back ... So i looked into it all and read up on the ports. I then proceeded to make it happen....

Well i got that far in the setting up and i installed a generic driver for a joystick... and it worked! i opened the door and the 1st light would go off! and when i closed it it went on!
YAY!

so i proceded making the loging program, and guess what I made it in DarkBASICPro!! Yes thats right! I had a few problems and i am still having problems with the writing to the file.. the program seems to quit after 4 or 5 times opening the door :S (i will have to look into that) i will probably re write the code in C++ but i aint 100% sure

and well here is an example of the log file

Door Opened on 02/04/04 at 19:50:52
Door Opened on 02/04/04 at 19:51:01
Door Opened on 02/04/04 at 19:51:06
Door Opened on 02/04/04 at 19:51:30
Door Opened on 02/04/04 at 19:51:33
Door Opened on 02/04/04 at 19:51:35

Well I still have lots of work to be done! and also I have other projects in my head ...

Time to have some FUN!

Cya

CFC
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 01:10
My kind of project...totally useless on the face of it, but with huge potential...

Quote: "You have been to the fridge 12 times in the last 2 hours 37 minues and 12 seconds. Your calorie intake is 39% over the recommended intake. Resolution - jog 1.24 kilometeres in 7 minutes, 12 seconds"

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
newbi 2 basic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 01:15
yeah I was thinking of making it so it times how long you take to take a can out the fridge
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm Hungry Horace!

Actually, that could be made into a few games. Like a treasure hunt for kids. Opening the fridge door would lead to a new clue on the computer screen. You need wireless gadgets for this. Or bomb disposal, where you build something that has a sequence of correct triggers to win the game.

Pincho.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 02:51
If you can get wireless transmitters, you could rig it to most doors and windows in your house-- homemade burgler alarm.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 03:50 Edited at: 5th Feb 2004 04:12
Hey, CFC, this is a great idea. Nice one.
I'll be doing something similar soon...but on a much larger scale...

Your soul...it tastes like chicken

Official Website Coming Soon
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 03:52 Edited at: 5th Feb 2004 04:39
Here's an enchilada

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 04:12
U saved my arse mouse, thanks

-Dave

newbi 2 basic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 11:00
yeah I am planning somethings out..

Like when the fridge door opens.. the computer lights some LEDs in the fridge...

Also when my bedroom door opens it play a sound or a warning message...

Its an interesting project and really fun todo.. I will take pictures as I go along and make a part on my site about it
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 13:18
Hehe, CFC - at work we supply these chips to a company called X-10 that are using in home automation systems. You use software on the PC to control appliances, lights, etc. You'd have a field day with that stuff!.

Now you need a webcam pointed at your mini-fridge to capture a picture of the irn-bru monster!.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
newbi 2 basic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 14:24
@Van-B
Yes i would need to get a cheap digital camera that will take pictures of the irn-bru monster ... Probably be me

I have herd of them chips they would be cool to play around with. Hopefully I should be getting paid so i should be able to get more money to put towards this cause ....

Look out for the oncoming weeks...
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 14:26
This is reverting back to the origins of Java. Don't know how many people have looked into this, but Java was created as a language to control household gadgets, using a common protocol. The theory being you have one control, and download Java modules into it for every gadget you buy (TV, Video, Fridge, Curtains etc).

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 16:12
This sounds like it could get really intereting...

-Dave

UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Haha thats crazy i was thinking of getting a mini frige for my room but i havnet gone out and got it yet. lazy me.

The search continues.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 17:36
Yeah, planning on getting the boy the Homer fridge (the door handle is a bottle of Duff) - damn cool little things, I'll probably get one for myself too. You can get them for about £30 or so.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
newbi 2 basic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 19:46
My one makes alot of noise it has a fan in the back.. So you probably wont want to have it near your bed

It might just be my one but hey still buy one they are great!!!
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
damn skippy the cheapest one i can find right now is like 60$ =\ i'll need it to put soda in so that way i won't have to leave my computer to get a drink =P now all i need is a snack bar and a toilet and i'll be set!

The search continues.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 07:30:00
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 07:30:00