Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Positioning Objects

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 07:26
Well, this may be a bit of a newbie question, but ive been having problems peicing togheter my maps for my level in dark basic pro, seeing how its all done through code instead of having a gui editor.

I have a few questions about it, ive been making my buildings as different peices in my registered copy of CShop 4, as I was under the impression that if I make them all once piece, I cannot have multiple textures for one object as would be needed in what im trying to do, so ive been playing around with code to move them all around but this is a very slow procedure, here are my two questions, the first one is in backup in case the second one cant do what im trying for...

1. When I position an object, what part of the object is used for the positioning? Will it center on the lines of code that will place it where it is?

2. Can I make the houses huts and other buildings on a limb basis, and attach all 3 parts of the house together and just place it once instead of 3 different times.

3. Can anyone think of an easier way to get multiple textures onto a house like area. So far I have been using 3 different models each assigned a texture, and if I continue to do this, I wouldnt mind using a command where I can attach multiple larger peices of a house to form rooms, making a kind of kit. Kind of like using limbs to attach all 3 models and make them one instead of just 3 (maybe there is a grouping command that I missed too?)

Thanks for any help ahead of time,

Zero (Formerly Shadow Guyver)
NRTP(TM)http://heero_yuy1983.tripod.com/
NRTP Message Boardshttp://nrtp.proboards22.com/index.cgi
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 07:54 Edited at: 5th Feb 2004 07:57
? ? !!!
<flees in a panic>

-RUST-
"What the... Mooooooooooo!"
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 11:37
you can have (in theory) as many materials as you want on an object. in your MODELLING program, select the different faces/polygons, and apply your materials there. for example with a house, the polygons for the roof use a different material than the polygons for the walls. if you can get it looking good in your modeller, you are halfway there.

then save the file as a .x or .3ds file, and load it with the "load object" command. assuming the texture files are in the same directory as the model, it should load up fine.

** if you are loading your models and textures SEPARATELY in DB, and then using the "texture object" command, you can only use 1 texture per model. but if you get it all set up in your modeller before hand, and JUST USE THE LOAD OBJECT command, you should be fine.

as for model locations: in your modelling program, there should be an origin point... in most modellers, you can tell because the grid has a thicker grid line at 0... this is the "pivot" point of your model, and the coordinates in DB will use that point.

hope that helps.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Megaman Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 18:49
Thanks for the help, ill get to work on seeing if it will work like you had said, I recently made a one skin model that works well for what I wanted it to do, and now im working on the town that will be in my game.

I will post screenshots when I can get them.
Zero out

Zero (Formerly Shadow Guyver)
NRTP(TM)http://heero_yuy1983.tripod.com/
NRTP Message Boardshttp://nrtp.proboards22.com/index.cgi

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 21:06:42
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 21:06:42