Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Major sync problem

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, anytime that I run anything, whether I sync on and/or set the sync rate to 30 (or 40 or anything else)... the screen flashes like crazy when I run the program.

For example, I followed all the tutorials exactly to do just a simple Hello World program and it prints Hello World... but, you can hardly read it because the screen is flashing black and white like a strobe light.

None of the code that I've tried fixes the problem. I'm using this with my 7th/8th grade computer students and it's driving them nuts! (and me, too) It would be great if someone could answer ASAP, if you have any ideas. I'm using the DarkBASIC for Schools, which I'm pretty sure is DarkBASIC classic. THANKS!!!

-- J
Represent
Years of Service
User Offline
Maybe it is the Graphics Cards in the computers. What cards do they have?
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2004 03:49
does this mini example flicker?

are you using lcd monitors?

Represent
Years of Service
User Offline
@indi-
Is DB incompatible with some LCD monitors???
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2004 03:52
Ive hear it might flicker with lcds. I just wanted to know his environment?

Represent
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh. I didn't know that. Now I might not get a LCD (I prefer CRT anyways).
TeAcH TeCh
Years of Service
User Offline
On my computer, I have a RADEON IGP 320M at 60 Hertz refresh rate. (Windows XP) I also ran it on the other computers in the lab, which I don't know what they have but they are brand new Dells with XP.
TeAcH TeCh
Years of Service
User Offline
Yep, that code snippet flickered, too.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2004 04:16
xTrans, some LCD monitors can't keep up with gaming/directX because they can't refresh fast enough, that's why if you are a gmaer and want to use an lcd monitor you have to scrutinize the specs before buying

-RUST-
"What the... Mooooooooooo!"
TeAcH TeCh
Years of Service
User Offline
At home, I use a laptop. But, the computers in the lab did the same thing and they are regular Viewsonic CRT monitors.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2004 12:00 Edited at: 7th Feb 2004 12:01
thats a very odd anomaly. any chance the direct x is not updated.?
can u change the refresh hertz on the monitor perhaps and try it again.

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2004 18:43
It might be a driver issue, try updateing the graphics card drivers.

Our civilization faces three great dangers. The first is destruction by a nuclear war, the second is being crippled with overpopulation and the third is the Age of Leisure.
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2004 19:02
I had that, if you run the jetski demo code you get white flashing polygons all over the screen as well, if thats the case then you need to update your DX and the video card drivers (not sure which fixed it since I did them together), make sure you do have the latest DB update as well, but in my case it was down to drivers, I just hope you dont have (DA DA DAHH! ) <adopts evil voice> integrated graphics chips <screams of terror from all around>, people who sell integrated GFX want shooting....or worse, that would not be good at all, a classroom full of mickey mouse computers and DB to run on them <OUCH!> , but most likley it will be the drivers, cheers.

Mentor.

System spec : Pentium 3.0Ghz, 512MB DDR, 2x160Gb HD (using icewave hd coolers ), DVD RW/CD RW (all modes), multimedia front panel, 6 way surround sound, ATI radeon 9800Pro 128mb.
TeAcH TeCh
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I guess the bottom line is that DarkBASIC won't work for me- either on my laptop at home or the computers in the lab, which as I said previously are brand new, very good specs computers.

I updated DirectX and I have the most recent drivers for my card, which is a RADEON IGP 320 at home and the ones at the school are new and updated, too. The DB version I'm using is the one I downloaded as part of the DarkBASIC for Schools program, which I think is classic version. At any rate, if my new computers (brand new!) can't run this, then I wonder how useful it will be to other schools.

Anyway, still looking for answers before I give up. Was evaluating the For Schools version to see about a major computer lab purchase for our school. Glad I ran into this problem now rather than later when I convinced the school to make a *major* purchase!
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2004 20:30
dowloaded?, corrupt download maybe?, do you have the dongle (usb key) that allows it to run?, try the standard demos, if they work then the issue is something like the download being corrupted, (you did go offline and shut down the the av after scanning the file before install?), or maybe you have a virus on the system that has got onto the laptop, this is the fifth system I have had DB on, and both the classic and Pro versions work fine on all of them with up to date drivers, (some have had several video cards too, from voodoo to Gforce FX ultra to radeon 9800 pro), I would say you have a corrupt install, did you install over the demo or something without removing it first?, DB nearly always works unless (because of it`s heavy dependence on directx) the video cards provide no or poor acceleration, then you either get screen issues or sluglike framerates, DB works for thousands of users, there will be a fix , what do the school machines run as the OS and what are the video cards BTW?, like I say DB depends heavily on hardware acceleration (there is no software path) so you need a decent setup just to run text apps, cheers.

Mentor.

System spec : Pentium 3.0Ghz, 512MB DDR, 2x160Gb HD (using icewave hd coolers ), DVD RW/CD RW (all modes), multimedia front panel, 6 way surround sound, ATI radeon 9800Pro 128mb.
TeAcH TeCh
Years of Service
User Offline
No, the download isn't corrupt. I just downloaded it directly from the link (not demo) and the programs display what they're supposed to, except for the strobelight flashing problem. I listed the video cards above in previous posts and there is no virus on any of the systems. We have up-to-date virus scans (McAfee) everyday. Using directx 9 whatever, the most recent update. These are all brand new computers with XP and using full hardware acceleration. All drivers and whatnot are updated, as I just did all of that to be sure.
TeAcH TeCh
Years of Service
User Offline
I just reinstalled the software and it does the exact same thing.
TeAcH TeCh
Years of Service
User Offline
I have tried running some games and they work fine. It looks like just having problems with a screen displaying text.
TeAcH TeCh
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay- Fixed it. Apparently, there was a patch that I needed. Now it works great. My students will be very excited and *I* am relieved, as I planned to make my curriculum around this next year!
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2004 22:15
glad to hear it

-RUST-
"What the... Mooooooooooo!"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 20:52:10
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 20:52:10