Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Problems with directx models after upgrading DBP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2004 05:58
Hi. I just got DBP a few weeks ago and sunk my teeth into it quickly as I've programmed games in many other languages. I like it a lot! So after starting a few test games and one large space adventure project I decided to upgrade from v1.0 to the latest patch. I did this because reading through the forums it seems like an important thing to do. I have the latest directx files, video drivers, and a very high end computer. But all my games that used to work fine now have problems. The .x models that I export from 3D Canvas Pro render all scrambled. The polygons all seem there- but randomly scrambled. I did some testing and converting the models to .3ds format helps. Most of those load properly- but a few have some missing parts and they also render much darker than before. (I realize I can easily correct the darkness problem.) So for now I uninstalled it and went back to using the original version and all is well again. Does any one have any ideas about what could be causing this? Has anyone else had similar experiences? Thanks in advance for any help.
Brian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2004 01:40
I've been trying to solve this problem and I've intalled/unistalled the upgrade several times to test various things. First off, the darkening of .3ds files (and a few rendering with missing parts) occurs in both the original and the upgrade- so I was wrong about that. However, ALL my directx models exported from 3D canvas pro still render with scrambled polygons. The same .x models look fine in DBP v1.0. Also, (in both versions) clones of directx models (but not .3ds models) that contain more than one texture end up losing their textures and rendering white. I'd like to know if people think this is a 3D Canvas Pro problem so I can consider bying other software or if people have similar problems using other 3D modelers as well.
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2004 02:59
The Game Creator screwed up patch 5.2 when they added a new .x parser. Uninstall and update to patch 5.1. The problems have been identified and fixed in-house. But, they have not fixed the patch or posted a warning. Stay at 5.1 and wait until 6 and you should be fine. Patch 5.2 added jack in the way of functionality for most users since it was to mainly support a Caligari product.

If you do not want to re-install DBP, try trianglulating your models since it is quad (or higher) polys that the new parser can not handle.
--
TAZ

Brian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2004 04:53
Thank you very much for the info! I used the 5.1 patch and .x models load fine again. However, I still can't get .x models that have more than one texture to clone properly. Doing so results in a white object. The same object made via "load object" works fine- but using this method to generate 1000 objects is way too slow. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 20:41:38
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 20:41:38