Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Plase read carefully before flaming me

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello everyone just bought darkbasic pro and I have alot of questions but ill post them as needed. but there is 3 important ones i need answered before I even attempt to use the program.

1. Does DB require extensive math skills or can your normal person with basic math skills use it IE:add, subtract, divide, multiply, fractions, etc.

2.I notice that alot of the graphics arent that good looking (NO INSULTS INTENDED). Is this a resriction in DB or is it the restriction of the artist.

3. Now read this carefully
3a. I understand you have to crawl before you walk, but this is just an idea that has been in th back of my head for a long time now. I am not expecting to jump right into this as I realize I have alot to learn.
3b. The question is can DB handle making a game such as WW2 Online?

Thanks
Jim
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2004 14:40
1. No, you don't need a lot of maths to get started, although you may need to widen your knowledge later depending on what you want to accomplish.

2. It's a restriction of the artist, but also consider that the majority of modellers/artists here are not professionals (no offense anyone - I have trouble modelling a triangle myself)

3. This really depends on the programmer, but technically, yes it is possible.

For free Plug-ins, source and the DBPro Interface library for Visual C++ 6 and .NET
http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
KNau
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2004 15:24
1) No, I'm a retard when it comes to math and Dark Basic has worked just fine for me.

2) As IanM said, it's a restriction of the artist although I find that DB Classic's renderer seems (for lack of a better term) chunkier (?!) than others. It has some problems. DB Pro's renderer looks much much better.

3) We all used to smack talk that Dark Basic can technically do anything and that it depends on the programmer. Having used DB Classic for quite some time I can tell you that's not really true. There is no way in hell you could do WW2 Online in DB Classic. I'm confident that in speed and graphics DB Pro could do it. Not as certain about the "massively multiplayer" functionality though.

My advice is, if your goal is that lofty, get DB Pro and forget classic.
bitechu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2004 17:15
A lot of what goes on in WWIIOL is server side...I'm not so sure DBPro would be the best choice for something of that magnitude.

The sheer size of the game world alone would require some serious hardware and a "phat" pipe to boot.

Asus A7N266-C/1.12MB PC2100DDR/AMD XP2100+/Asus Ti4600 128MB
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2004 18:24
Quite a lot of online rpgs and stuff are going on in DBPro. It is possible, but yeah DBPro would not be the best thing for online stuff, although DBPro is always being improved so online support may improve. The problem is if you go for something strong with online (eg. visual basic or C++) you sacrifice the ease of making a game.

Do you bite your thumb at me sir?
The Basics of DBPro Tutorial, on my site now!
Athelon XP 1600 Plus (1.4ghz) - ATI Radeon 9600 Pro - 256mb RAM
Jim T
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for all the info guys. I must say this coding looks pretty familiar from something I use to do when I was a kid. I was browsing hamish's site and looked at his code base and started thinking that I had used these commands before, but cant remember where though. Anyway thanks for all yor input
Floyd
Years of Service
User Offline
I've probably mentioned this principle before, but I will repeat it here. By the time you have finished something like WWII Online, computer speeds and internet speeds would more than make up the difference between DBP and C++. (At least it would for me, since I probably wouldn't finish it until the 22nd century.) Even a less ambitious project that took 2 years or so would put you in the next generation of technology. I think for the majority of us, the time it takes to create content is a bigger factor than the execution time of the code we create.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2004 23:48
I've learned a lot of math from using DB. I'll come to a problem that requires something I'm not familiar with. So I look it up, learn the equations and then figure out how to use them.

"eureka" - Archimedes
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2004 10:12
yup, programming is the best "real-world" application of all that math I learned in high school/college

thank god I paid attention in trig class, every program I make ends up using trig formulas!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Fluffy Paul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2004 14:23
I'd say trigonometry and algebra are the main maths skills I use. If you're using 3D then you'll need trig.

It's not like I even need to remember formulae as I also have a big physics textbook that I use to look up any interesting things I need to simulate (e.g. gravity, conservation of momentum, friction etc).

I think your best skill as a programmer is knowing how to find the information you need, not remembering loads of stuff.

Ending a sentence with a French word is so passé
3beth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2004 17:09
Hey guys,

I noticed your post before I was about to log off. I am trying to load a server side dark basic game (really just a demo at this point) I am at the server and work on it daily, my question is how to configure it so it works with the server? The server uses XP and planetdns software and is php comp. All the demo does is try to download itself as a zip file which it isn't.

The final version of what were making is around 650 megs, its more like ages of empire and the sims mixed together. But I need some help, I don't mean to steal anything from the top post but everything he wants to do I am trying and failing at, at this moment. So maybe we can experiment with me and find out how to do it, I am getting paid to do it so I have the time to try.

Beth

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 20:57:59
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 20:57:59